• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Few seem to mind, though, as a full reboot was made in 2011 which covers all the ground of this 1999 series and then some.

Few seem to mind? Seriously? Seeing side by side comparisons just makes it that much more obvious that the 1999 version of HxH is superior in every respect. Exactly which scenes did 2011 handle better than 99? If you actually watched comparisons you would know that 1999 had better storyboarding, art and animation style than 2011 in every important scene. Fluid animation is made possible by 1) a decent frame rate and 2) the use of smears - Norio Matsumoto's animation style is distinctive due to the relatively high FPS his heavy use of smears require. The 2011 version has low FPS and does not use smears but simple motion blurs which make the animation look less fluid. The use of motion blur instead of smears is a telling sign that the animator is an amateur who has no idea what he's doing.

I don't get why people are trying to raise doubts about which series is better. 2011 is so obviously less polished, drawn by amateurs, badly directed, that you really cannot make yourself credible with any kind of argument to the effect of making them seem even remotely close.

Speed lines are another sign you have no idea how to animate fluidity in an action scene. Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBBq8R_4kcc
The 2011 version looks like shit because there's speed lines everywhere. The 1999 version by contrast did not use speed lines but instead depicted the actual rotation of the background. This shows the excellent use of camera angles and movement in the 1999 version to show the dynamics of the action. The 2011 version does not rotate the camera, it just cuts from one angle to the next. This is laziness, and it destroys dynamism in the scene. As for the fight, I preferred the 1999 one. Some cool touches, with the light from Zeno's dragon lance reflecting from Chrollo's startled eyes. Nice music but much of it was wasted on the talking.

The theater would have benefited from a bit more opulence - the macabre had always gone well with the majestic; and it's probably what Togashi was shooting for - but I guess the 1999 anime had blown their budget by that point. Would definitely have been better dark though. I thought it was kind of strange fully lit in 2011. In the music department 2011 fails again, disjointedly flitting from one piece to the other. Not to mention the heavy censorship, butchered content and rushed pacing directed by some literally who leading a group of pedophile fujoshi animators so busy shipping two young boys together (Gon and Killua), they had to "animate" the whole thing using glorified stills between speed lines in place of actual animation

Again, if you don't know anything about animation, don't make silly comments about how 2011 handles some scenes better. It doesn't. Anyone saying that the 2011 version is even remotely close to the 1999 series immediately reveals that he or she doesn't know anything about animation.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Few seem to mind, though, as a full reboot was made in 2011 which covers all the ground of this 1999 series and then some.

Few seem to mind? Seriously? Seeing side by side comparisons just makes it that much more obvious that the 1999 version of HxH is superior in every respect. Exactly which scenes did 2011 handle better than 99? If you actually watched comparisons you would know that 1999 had better storyboarding, art and animation style than 2011 in every important scene. Fluid animation is made possible by 1) a decent frame rate and 2) the use of smears - Norio Matsumoto's animation style is distinctive due to the relatively high FPS his heavy use of smears require. The 2011 version has low FPS and does not use smears but simple motion blurs which make the animation look less fluid. The use of motion blur instead of smears is a telling sign that the animator is an amateur who has no idea what he's doing.

I don't get why people are trying to raise doubts about which series is better. 2011 is so obviously less polished, drawn by amateurs, badly directed, that you really cannot make yourself credible with any kind of argument to the effect of making them seem even remotely close.

Speed lines are another sign you have no idea how to animate fluidity in an action scene. Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBBq8R_4kcc
The 2011 version looks like shit because there's speed lines everywhere. The 1999 version by contrast did not use speed lines but instead depicted the actual rotation of the background. This shows the excellent use of camera angles and movement in the 1999 version to show the dynamics of the action. The 2011 version does not rotate the camera, it just cuts from one angle to the next. This is laziness, and it destroys dynamism in the scene. As for the fight, I preferred the 1999 one. Some cool touches, with the light from Zeno's dragon lance reflecting from Chrollo's startled eyes. Nice music but much of it was wasted on the talking.

The theater would have benefited from a bit more opulence - the macabre had always gone well with the majestic; and it's probably what Togashi was shooting for - but I guess the 1999 anime had blown their budget by that point. Would definitely have been better dark though. I thought it was kind of strange fully lit in 2011. In the music department 2011 fails again, disjointedly flitting from one piece to the other. Not to mention the heavy censorship, butchered content and rushed pacing directed by some literally who leading a group of pedophile fujoshi animators so busy shipping two young boys together (Gon and Killua), they had to "animate" the whole thing using glorified stills between speed lines in place of actual animation

Again, if you don't know anything about animation, don't make silly comments about how 2011 handles some scenes better. It doesn't. Anyone saying that the 2011 version is even remotely close to the 1999 series immediately reveals that he or she doesn't know anything about animation.

I swear why is it that fans of older previous adaptations always have to come across as angry contrarian hipsters?

Especially this post is basically stating that the 2011 Hunter show is literally garbage compared to the 1999 which sounds completely nonsense. It’s very hard to take seriously, & it doesn’t help when you say stuff like this “directed by some literally who leading a group of pedophile fujoshi animators” it utterly ruins any credibility you might have had.

I’m sorry one is free to prefer a particular adaptation over another but don’t go on a massive negative tirade towards the other like some angry fanboy. It’s just immature & the extremly obvious bias & impartiality destroys whatever point you are trying to make.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Suddenly memories of downloading Di Gi Charat fansubs from IRC channels come flooding back.... if someone had started Netflix or Youtube 10 years earlier, they could have made sooooo much money.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
I was only 2 years old and i only anime from the 1999 i watched so far was that of Digimon, Digimon was among the gateaway for the anime fans of Serban and the huge growth in the anime fandom there.

I watch Digimon around in 2001 when it was broadcasted in RTS, that's the only thing i know so far.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Seeing side by side comparisons just makes it that much more obvious that the 1999 version of HxH is superior in every respect. Exactly which scenes did 2011 handle better than 99? If you actually watched comparisons you would know that 1999 had better storyboarding, art and animation style than 2011 in every important scene. Fluid animation is made possible by 1) a decent frame rate and 2) the use of smears - Norio Matsumoto's animation style is distinctive due to the relatively high FPS his heavy use of smears require. The 2011 version has low FPS and does not use smears but simple motion blurs which make the animation look less fluid. The use of motion blur instead of smears is a telling sign that the animator is an amateur who has no idea what he's doing.
Anime is shot on 3s, 2s or 1s in rare cases, so of course it has a low frame rate. Why is that only an issue with Madhouses version but not Nippons? Why do you give the latter the benefit of the doubt or do you really believe they have a high frame rate? The Nippon version uses smears because blurs weren't available in cel animation, but they both serve the exact same purpose. Why are you crediting an animator who only worked on 4 episodes?

anddo! wrote:

The only thing that Nippon did better than Madhouse here, maybe the ost is better as well, is that they have backgrounds during the fight as opposed to speedlines. Even outside the fight Nippons is a bit more stilted than Madhouses, a lot of static pans and zooms. The fight is directed awfully, it spins way too fast, some of the cuts are way too short, they are zoomed in too close. Madhouses is not amazing, though they basically the same fight regardless of what you tell yourself, but at least you can tell what is going on.

anddo! wrote:
The theater would have benefited from a bit more opulence - the macabre had always gone well with the majestic; and it's probably what Togashi was shooting for - but I guess the 1999 anime had blown their budget by that point. Would definitely have been better dark though. I thought it was kind of strange fully lit in 2011. In the music department 2011 fails again, disjointedly flitting from one piece to the other. Not to mention the heavy censorship, butchered content and rushed pacing directed by some literally who leading a group of pedophile fujoshi animators so busy shipping two young boys together (Gon and Killua), they had to "animate" the whole thing using glorified stills between speed lines in place of actual animation.
Oh not this again,the show is not censored, the show is plenty violent, not having a heart crushed maybe a case of censorship, but the show overall is not censored. Nor is it rushed, it just isn't padded with filler arcs and material like Nippons where were trying not to catch up with the Manga.

You really crossed a line there, it's rude enough to bad mouth the animators because of dumb reasons. But now you accuse them of being paedophiles, have you no shame. If you have to blame anyone for the show being about 2 young boys, blame Togashi, the guy who made the Manga BOTH shows are direct adaptations of.

anddo! wrote:
Yeah it's not remotely close, it's either on the same level or in some cases better. Ultimately both struggle with the reality of being a long running(even if short in comparison to its peers) show, and it's fine to take issue with that, but don't be a hypocrite and pretend that Nippons had an amazing production because of some personally biases towards some BS differences.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
I don't even get the impression the review was implying the 2011 Hunter x Hunter was better to begin with. I just got the impression it was saying that viewers don't really have a reason to go through the trouble of seeking out the original when the reboot covers the same material adequately enough and goes further than the first anime. So I don't even know why people are getting mad at the article for saying something it didn't.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Anddo!, people can have differing opinions other than the one you share. You don't get to insult them because they do.

The same goes for you Scion Drake. You don't get to toss around a blanket judgment in response yourself.

Now I suggest everyone agree to disagree and move on if you can't be respectful.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, though, in or by 1999, I can't think of another anime other than ZOIDS with such well-directed, articulated, AND cel-shaded CG. Blue Submarine 6--for all its experimental merits--didn't have it, and the Golgo 13 movie certainly didn't have it, and neither did the original Ghost in the Shell movie. I think ZOIDS may deserve credit as the pioneer of the techniques and technology that made stuff like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Yukikaze, Rebuild of Evangelion, Argevollen, and Fafner Exodus possible. These days a lot of anime do cel-shaded CG cars and mecha and such. Zoids was the first time I saw an all-out effort to try to blend the CG into the anime, versus making it a "special effect." And while the framerate took a while to stabilize for some elements, as the season went on, it got better and better. Maybe it wasn't perfect, but it was way ahead of its time. Just look at how all the limb joints move. These openings/endings show some montages:

US Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15mfslsD_Bw
US Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkwCvnx2dyc
Japanese Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVWxXvKUwI

As far as Hunter x Hunter...I've seen pieces of both, and I think they both have their merits. Obviously, the fact that the 2011 version goes further into the arcs helps its case, though. It's kind of like the JoJo's situation. The old JoJo's OVA animation has some superior techniques and directing for some scenes, but the new one is more complete.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Compared to the manga, it’s the best. Nabeshin had a double-header with Excel Saga and that Lupin Fujiko special.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm surprised he didn't mention Digimon Adventure (original). 20 years?! Time surely flies.
I barely remember watching Digimon when I was little but I did watch it.

KyokoBestMeguca wrote:
How have we gone this long without mentioning the true best anime of 1999: Reign: the Conqueror? In all its bizarre terribleness I can't help but love it.

Oh man, that's true. Digimon Adventure missing is a huge "What?", especially given Mamoru Hosoda's work on the franchise, particular since the following year, Digimon Adventure's second film "Our War Game", would end up being remade as "Summer Wars" a number years later.

Reign's also a really huge one to miss, as well. While Reign wasn't particularly as liked as some shows for the time, Reign is notable because of the prominent gathering of various International animators to work on the project, and was an earlier instance of a Japanese-Korean co-production. Although people tended to not care for the show's story or writing, it was always praised on a visual and animation front. So that being missing is also a very peculiar thing too.

...really, there's a lot of notable titles that are missing on this list that I can't help but wonder what determined the picking of everything. As a couple other people even pointed out, Zoids was an early usage of CGI that was, arguably impressive, for the time frame it came out in, especially on a weekly production schedule.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
A few overlooked titles come to mind in 1999 as great quality to me:

Infinite Ryvius - A space opera that is like Lord of the Flies in space focused on groups of teens trying to survive aboard a spaceship after all the adult instructors and staff were killed onboard. Each of the groups aboard the Ryvius are trying to compete for control of the ship and each having their own different views of leadership to run it, while also trying to evade enemy ships trying to take out the ship under the assumption it is under terrorist control. In spite of Sentai Filmworks having licensed it years ago after Bandai folded, I'm a bit dumbstruck they've yet to release this series in any form.

Great Teacher Onizuka - The classic school comedy-drama focused on Eikichi Onizuka's humorous exploits to tame the behavior of a delinquent class of middle school students.

Eden's Bowy - A hidden gem of a fantasy-adventure series from 1999 that has solid world building and a slowly-developing plot of the intentions of several factions interested in the activity of the show's two young leads, the God Hunter Yorn and the mysterious girl Elisiss.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Really upset that Ojamajo Doremi was, for all intents and purposes completely skipped over...

...Digimon Adventure missing is a huge "What?"...

...really, there's a lot of notable titles that are missing on this list that I can't help but wonder what determined the picking of everything.

"...here's an unordered sampling of some titles from 1999 which I think have either had a lasting impact or are worth your time to watch now, in 2019. In the interest of brevity, I'm only counting a title as 'from 1999' if it started in 1999" --the beginning of this article. A fair amount of the titles people are mentioning in the comments as so-called glaring omissions DID NOT START IN 1999.

Several others--the vast, VAST, majority of what people are naming--are out of print and cannot easily be seen. I try to limit the amount of out of print titles I name to about 3 or 4 tops because experience has shown that people HATE when you talk about how great it was when say, Master Keaton defused a bomb using a chocolate bar, but then point out that there's no way for them to see the thing.

"If you've got a 1999 favorite not mentioned here, and there's a darned good chance since I've left off quite a few arguable candidates for 'best of 1999,' then let's hear about it the comments!" --the end of this article

So why are there good ones left off which you can still see now? Length considerations, mainly; I tried to not have too many things of the same genre lest it seem too overly biased. But by all means, go check out GTO, Jubei-chan, Crest of the Stars, etc since they're streaming on the same platforms you already use to watch simulcasts.

Lastly, and this is far less common, a title from 1999 someone deems noteworthy can be omitted because IT'S NOT GOOD. Alexander Senki aka Reign: The Conqueror is NOT GOOD. Tenchi Forever is NOT GOOD. These are things which should be watched by nobody and remain forgotten to time, the way they are now. Here, I'll summarize Tenchi Forever using the exact same four words I used when I saw it 20 years ago: "Tenchi meets another girl."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
Huffdaddy wrote:

I'm very surprised that Daryl neglected to mention my personal favorite anime that started in the Fall of 1999. Now And Then Here And There. Fantastic show. One of Akitaro Daichi's best works...even more so because it plays very much against what you would expect from an Akitaro Daichi show. I admit that I have not revisited it in a very long time, but I am sure it still holds up in 2019. Parts of that show are still seared into my memory 20 years later.

Highly recommended.

Everybody got what they deserved at the end Twisted Evil
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
"...here's an unordered sampling of some titles from 1999 which I think have either had a lasting impact or are worth your time to watch now, in 2019. In the interest of brevity, I'm only counting a title as 'from 1999' if it started in 1999" --the beginning of this article. A fair amount of the titles people are mentioning in the comments as so-called glaring omissions DID NOT START IN 1999.

Pretty sure Daryl left the floor open for anyone to name any title of note they enjoyed from 1999 without being anal over the particulars, provided it aired within that year.

Quote:
Several others--the vast, VAST, majority of what people are naming--are out of print and cannot easily be seen. I try to limit the amount of out of print titles I name to about 3 or 4 tops because experience has shown that people HATE when you talk about how great it was when say, Master Keaton defused a bomb using a chocolate bar, but then point out that there's no way for them to see the thing.

Your point? Some newer fans may have interest in wanting to see more retro anime and be willing to seek them out however they can, even if they have to fork up extra money or go through less savory means to get them since there are many titles of yester-year that have either been OOP for years or never been picked up for licensing and there's no telling if they will ever be picked up or not.

Quote:
Lastly, and this is far less common, a title from 1999 someone deems noteworthy can be omitted because IT'S NOT GOOD. Alexander Senki aka Reign: The Conqueror is NOT GOOD. Tenchi Forever is NOT GOOD. These are things which should be watched by nobody and remain forgotten to time, the way they are now. Here, I'll summarize Tenchi Forever using the exact same four words I used when I saw it 20 years ago: "Tenchi meets another girl."

Cut it with the elitist dribble. What you may not enjoy, others may like and they're entitled to that. Many Tenchi fans consider Tenchi Forever the best of the franchise due to its rather different dramatic storytelling style and actually having Tenchi choose a love interest compared to how the OVAs go about with things. And while Alexander Senki's no masterpiece, I actually find the rather horrible reception to it to be rather exaggerated since it makes solid use of elements of Alexander's life and Greek philosophy to create its own unique take on it, which shows some creative effort compared to more noteworthy horrible shlock of the era like the mentioned Sin: The Movie and Gundress.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the obvious high notes Daryl covered in his article, I'm just happy to see anyone giving real credit to Legend of Black Heaven, or a kind word to Colorful.

But now, I need to give a shout out to one of the best short pieces of anime that year: Pet Shop of Horrors. Four episodes of Grade A creepiness. With bunnies. Lots and lots of bunnies.

Quote:
"Who remembers the Y2K problem?"

Um...I do. I was hip deep in it for months. I was also the emergency on-call at my company at the moment the clocks turned. Talk about sweating bullets...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3