• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
1999, the best year in Anime that I have ever come across.
Crest of the Stars
Infinite Ryvius
Now and Then, Here and There
GTO
His and Her Circumstances
Which takes some beating.
Basically, it seems back then, studios were willing to take a punt series that sacrificed manic pace for thoughtful and intelligent writing.

Huffdaddy wrote:
I'm very surprised that Daryl neglected to mention my personal favorite anime that started in the Fall of 1999. Now And Then Here And There. Fantastic show. One of Akitaro Daichi's best works...even more so because it plays very much against what you would expect from an Akitaro Daichi show. I admit that I have not revisited it in a very long time, but I am sure it still holds up in 2019. Parts of that show are still seared into my memory 20 years later.

Highly recommended.

Damn that is was a good show. Only problem with it was that it did its job a little too well. Not sure that I'd ever want to see it again.

Shay Guy wrote:
Very surprised nobody's mentioned Great Teacher Onizuka!

Somewhat less surprised nobody's mentioned Excel Saga or Infinite Ryvius. (Haven't seen the latter, but seen its name come up a number of times over the years.)

For some bizarre reason, I'm rewatching that series now. Have yet to come across a series that was more tightly written. Just be warned that it is measured and complex. Do not go in expecting explosions every five minutes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Also, the underrated A.D. Police show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
1999, the best year in Anime that I have ever come across.
Crest of the Stars
Infinite Ryvius
Now and Then, Here and There
GTO
His and Her Circumstances
Which takes some beating.
Basically, it seems back then, studios were willing to take a punt series that sacrificed manic pace for thoughtful and intelligent writing.

I think 98 wins out for me, but you're right. The late 90s to mid 00s is my personal sweet spot for anime as a whole, with most of my all-time favorites slotting in there. A big part of it is that it seems like it was far easier to get original anime projects made back then, and a lot of the most prominent series from that era were original works, as opposed to today when adaptations tend to dominate. Not that there's anything wrong with manga or light novel adaptations, but original productions let studios go hog-wild, and even when the end result winds up a total mess, it's usually at least interesting. You just about never see an original production that's over 12 or 13 episodes now, while 26 was just about standard then. Sci-fi and space shows got a lot more play, too.

At any rate, there were some great shows mentioned in the column. Big O is pretty much my all-time sentimental favorite, and I'll gladly defend the second season and its ending any day of the week: I don't think the show would have lived nearly as long or been discussed nearly as much if it hadn't left things so insanely open-ended. Regarding Hunter x Hunter, as much as I've enjoyed the 2011 adaptation, the 1999 version did a FAR better job with the Hunter Exam, and was probably a bit better with Yorknew too. Huge love for Crest of the Stars, and Infinite Ryvius was a fun ride. And of course One Piece reigns eternal.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Regarding of how to make sense of a One Piece chapter:

You just glance over the pages and stop and read each time a character makes a kinda serious face because what he is saying it's relevant, the rest it's just terrible manzai comedy or Luffy screaming a random attack's name.

These relevant scenes are usually, only 2-3 pages of each chapter, thus the reason you can't make sense of the rest.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
GTO being omitted made me sad, but seeing multiple others bring it up in this thread makes me happy.
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I think 98 wins out for me, but you're right. The late 90s to mid 00s is my personal sweet spot for anime as a whole, with most of my all-time favorites slotting in there. A big part of it is that it seems like it was far easier to get original anime projects made back then, and a lot of the most prominent series from that era were original works, as opposed to today when adaptations tend to dominate.
Huge love for Crest of the Stars, and Infinite Ryvius was a fun ride. And of course One Piece reigns eternal.

Agree completely. Almost all of my top ten comes from that era. So many great other shows to choose from. FLCL, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Haibane Renmei, Twelve Kingdoms, Last Exile, FMP, Seed, etc.
As for Crest of the Stars. It still remains my favourite anime of all time. Though One Punch Man has run it close recently.
ps. I never enjoyed Cowboy Bebop that much. Please don't judge me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3