• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Release of The Tatami Galaxy Anime on BD/DVD in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Does this make this the third sub only release from Funimation after Super Lovers and Zillion?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does this make this the third sub only release from Funimation after Super Lovers and Zillion?

Funimation also didn’t include a dub with the home video release of OniAi, so add that series to the list of acquisitions in which they didn’t do such a thing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
^That was their first sub-only release but there are plenty of others including Doamayger-D, Seiyu's Life, .hack//G.U. Trilogy*, Tales of the Abyss*, the Speed Racer 1997 remake, the 3 Death Note live-action movies (when 2 of them had a dub with the anime cast) and the first 3 Code Geass movies.

* - Bandai rescues but so was Nichijou
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
The problem with this title is that it has so much dialogue and is so fast paced I found it nearly impossible to keep up. Maybe if the pre-orders are especially good, they’ll consider giving it a dub after all?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

should be about the 30th sub only release
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm curious why they decided to finally do it. I know people have been asking for a long time about a home video release, but after nine years, it seems odd to change positions on it. I can't imagine it saw a recent surge in streaming numbers that justified it. Funimation has been doing sub-only releases long enough that even if something didn't do well enough to justify the cost of a dub, they at least get something out there for people to buy.

Then again, they are also releasing Nichijou again with a dub this time, which I think is the first time they've dubbed a prior sub-only release, so maybe there is some interest on their end in following through on what people have been asking for.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
If you squint really hard, you’ll see that Funimation put English 5.1 on the DVD side of the packaging on the back cover.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
^Another packaging typo, wonder if they'll fix it or leave as is like with Hellsing Ultimate?
brynhild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
as happy as I am that this is finally getting a release, the rezero situation has taught me to NEVER preorder anything from Funimation ever again. I'll definitely give it a few months to vet reviews/complaints for the release before copping.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^That was their first sub-only release but there are plenty of others including Doamayger-D, Seiyu's Life, .hack//G.U. Trilogy*, Tales of the Abyss*, the Speed Racer 1997 remake, the 3 Death Note live-action movies (when 2 of them had a dub with the anime cast) and the first 3 Code Geass movies.

* - Bandai rescues but so was Nichijou

Yeah, I had a feeling there were more series, but I couldn’t think of any more examples on the spot except for the one I listed. Thanks for the info/reminder.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
As someone mentioned earlier, it's already listed at RightStuf.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm curious why they decided to finally do it. I know people have been asking for a long time about a home video release, but after nine years, it seems odd to change positions on it. I can't imagine it saw a recent surge in streaming numbers that justified it. Funimation has been doing sub-only releases long enough that even if something didn't do well enough to justify the cost of a dub, they at least get something out there for people to buy.

Then again, they are also releasing Nichijou again with a dub this time, which I think is the first time they've dubbed a prior sub-only release, so maybe there is some interest on their end in following through on what people have been asking for.

Maybe not related, but most licenses are 10 years. Perhaps this was the last chance they had to put something out before the license expired.
Normally though there is a clause that says if you don't publish anything in a few years it auto-cancels, but perhaps that wasn't the case with this license.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm curious why they decided to finally do it. I know people have been asking for a long time about a home video release, but after nine years, it seems odd to change positions on it. I can't imagine it saw a recent surge in streaming numbers that justified it.

Maybe they have seen more interest in the title in the wake of The Night is Short, Walk on, Girl, Penguin Highway, and corresponding novels. So, Morimi is getting attention.

Plus, Yuasa is getting lots of attention thanks to Devilman Crybaby, Lu over the wall, and Night is short.....

Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I have the Australian DVD release and the UK BD release, and I don't feel like rewarding Funimation for sitting on an amazing show for almost 10 years so I don't think I'll be triple dipping for this.

That said, I'm happy that many people who weren't able to own it will now have the chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2