• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artists Dare Each Other to Model Pokémon in Five Minutes Amid Pokémon Sword/Shield Backlas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wish Pokemon fans were as sympathetic to Game Freak's designers as people were sympathetic to the Sonic movie designers. Surely it takes less time to redesign one character for a two hour movie than it does to redesign 700+ Pokemon in such a large game.

One character for a big Hollywood production that needs to fit in with real actors and all of the special effects, which all needs big render farms and time to be exported. All for a movie that's already a bit of a financial risk due to the nature of being a video game movie adaptation and in a series that's had a lot of ups and downs throughout its career.
Redesign not originally intended and very sudden

vs

Pokemon that.. aren't being redesigned and still look the same as they did on 3DS, just rendered in-engine at a higher resolution. All for the first main-line HD title in the best-selling RPG franchise of all time, released on a system that's also very successful and has many passionate fans clamoring for a new Pokemon game.
Plenty of time to prepare for this
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wish Pokemon fans were as sympathetic to Game Freak's designers as people were sympathetic to the Sonic movie designers. Surely it takes less time to redesign one character for a two hour movie than it does to redesign 700+ Pokemon in such a large game.

Game Freak has slowly become a kusoge company in the eyes of a lot of fans because of their recent practices. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eievui are considered some of the worst games in the franchise by fans. Gamers are getting tired of their excuses. The transition from Black and White to X and Y had every single Pokemon modeled into 3D from scratch. They are now saying it's an issue with Sword and Shield.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the Pokemon franchise has reached it's breaking point and they can't sustain making a new game every year for the past four or five years.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo should lay off Pokemon for awhile its clear that Pokemon has grown too big its not easy enough to manage anymore. Fans are going to have to accept the Starwars style clean out of the franchise. The more Pokemon they introduce the more difficult it is for newcomers to get into. the old fans who gripe and groan about the newer entries being "too easy or uninspiring" need to come to terms with the fact that they outgrew the franchise they are not the focus anymore, Starwars had to deal with this and many fans were not happy with the outcome but it had to happen for the franchise to move forward.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Nintendo should lay off Pokemon for awhile its clear that Pokemon has grown too big its not easy enough to manage anymore. Fans are going to have to accept the Starwars style clean out of the franchise. The more Pokemon they introduce the more difficult it is for newcomers to get into. the old fans who gripe and groan about the newer entries being "too easy or uninspiring" need to come to terms with the fact that they outgrew the franchise they are not the focus anymore, Starwars had to deal with this and many fans were not happy with the outcome but it had to happen for the franchise to move forward.

Star Wars changed specifically because it was bought by another company and the new people in charge wanted to change it to fit their own ideas. It had nothing to do with the actual creator of the franchise and their artistic vision.

Plenty of long running and established franchises have avoided anything like this. To call it an inevitability is to present a false dichotomy. In fact, some franchises that date back to the 80s such as Mario, Zelda, SMT, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and many others often have their newest games cited as the best in their respective franchises. This is specifically a Pokemon thing. Whether you want to blame it on the casualization of the franchise to appeal to the Pokemon Go demographic, the shift to focus on globalization and the global market over the Japanese market, or Game Freak's comments how they want to do more beyond make Pokemon games, it's clear it's a problem specific to this franchise and you don't see a bulk of the Zelda or Mario fanbase upset over the announcement of Breath of the Wild 2 or Luigi's Mansion 3. It's something Pokemon fans have been dealing with for many years now.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
There is another trend on Twitter as well. Japanese artists being attacked and threatened by foreigners because of the way they draw Rurina from the new Pocket Monsters Sword and Shield games. It's caused a number of Japanese artists to privatize their Twitter or leave the platform entirely, but some Japanese artists are fighting back and have been making fun of the foreigners by drawing Rurina as a stereotypical African character and insulting them for thinking a Japanese character is African. There is a lot of hostility lately in the community
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Gotta catch most of em' - should be the new slogan for the franchise. I'm glad fans are letting them know that being the world's highest grossing media franchise (approx 90B USD) they have the money to hire more staff and code all the pokemon into games running on the most powerful hardware the series was on to date.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I just hate seeing all the horrible misinformation going around that is doing nothing but making a bad issue worse for no good reason. Here's what we know, a lot of which you may have heard before, but this is ALL important...

a) From official sources (treehouse, famitsu, usgamer, etc.)--I'm getting these directly from the Japanese verbal and written interviews except for usgamer's, which is only in English, just so we can avoid any translation errors or simplifications from online sources. I'm fluent in Japanese:

1) They are reusing base models from gen 6/7. [I can't find the interview, but this was said several years ago, during or after the development of XY]
2) Masuda-san stated "I wanted to tell fans in advance", meaning it was early information. [treehouse 2019]
3) No Megas (or Z moves). [famitsu]
4) Due to the higher power of the Switch, they made each individual Pokemon more expressive. [treehouse 2019]
5) There are over 800 species as of SM. There are over 1000 Pokemon (including alternate forms, gender differences, etc.) as of SwSh. [treehouse 2019 & famitsu]
6) They wanted to preserve the quality of each individual Pokemon by spending time focusing things such as battle balance within the limited time they had. [treehouse 2019]
7) The new expressiveness and balancing proved harder than they originally believes it would and has taken a lot of time. [famitsu]
8) Ohmori-san also indicates they remade models from scratch (unclear if he meant all or some). [famitsu]
9) Ohmori-san claims: "I believe you'll understand when you play Pokemon Sword and Shield, but (even with the restrictions on transferring Pokemon) with things such as the Wild Area and story, there is a great volume of content to play around with. [famitsu]
10) There are no current plans to update the games to add more Pokemon, but the Pokemon you bring to Pokemon Home can be used in features within Home. Additionally, they intend to bring the other Pokemon not in Galar to other games as well. [famitsu]
11) Dynamax can be used with any Pokemon in the game (meaning all Pokemon in the game must be compatible with it). [usgamer]
12) There is post-game content. [usgamer]
13) Higher fidelity and higher-quality animations. [usgamer]

b) Additionally, there are a few complications that we, as fans, need to be aware of as we move forward the discussion:

1) Pokemon is on a multi-media schedule, meaning that delays are very unlikely since the games are meant to coincide with the release of the anime and merchandise. You may personally think this is still okay, but as a company, GameFreak has a duty to fulfill its part of any contracts, deals, and general trust of other big companies involved in the making of other Pokemon material that are relying on the games to advertise their products.

2) Pokemon is, as I just mentioned, a franchise. A BIG franchise. Overall, it brings in about $90 billion USD. The games themselves, however are second to the merchandise and anime, which bring in $61.1 billion USD vs. the games' $17.138 billion USD. It's not that the games themselves aren't important or big money makers, but that they're secondary to investors and sponsors. Thus, the games releasing consistently and regularly is paramount to keeping this up.

3) GameFreak is a small company. Overall, it had 143 employees as of 2018, and these employees are split between different teams making different games. Last we knew, they were working on Let's Go, Sword/Shield, and a few other in-house original games simultaneously. A recent group photo of the assumed Sword/Shield team on GameFreak's twitter showed about 40 people. Not all of them are developers. They also outsource some work to Creatures, inc., though we don't know exactly how much or to how many employees (Creatures, inc. had 110 total employees as of July 2017). Breath of the Wild, in comparison, had over 300 developers during its development process alone.

--------

TO BE CLEAR, I'm of the mind that if there is a will, there is a way. I believe it is crucial that we, as fans, be vocal about things that matter to us. Even if there were twice as many Pokemon as there are today, with twice as many complications, if people still want to bring their Pokemon with them, they should say so and make it a big deal. Developers shouldn't have to crunch, but there are a ton of ways to make these things possible. Gamefreak's small team might have to grow significantly. They may have to extend the overall time given to each generation or outsource to other companies to make more spin-offs or help with the main games. None of these are easy decisions, but for the sake of the biggest franchise in the world, it makes sense to consider them. So I am not defending the overall decision to restrict Pokemon from SwSh. That said, we need to avoid making personal assumptions about the development team, GameFreak, Nintendo, OLM (the anime studio), and so on. They're not "lazy". They DO care about making Pokemon the best they can. Maybe they do suck at development in many areas (even before this controversy, a game designer from gameXplain did a video critiquing the early design of SwSh from the first two trailers), but they also come from a team used to making 2D games and this is one of their first attempts at integrating a 3D world on a powerful console. This doesn't add up as an excuse to deliver an unsatisfactory product, but it is still the reality.

Now, as for my personal opinion, I only ever use the transfer feature to bring legendaries and mythicals to the newer games. As long as I am not at risk of losing my Pokemon in Home if I forget to renew a subscription, I don't mind having limited Pokemon (chances are, I'll still be able to complete the national dex in Home). I'm far more interested in the world of Pokemon as a concept and exploring the new region and meeting new Pokemon. I'm not really focused on the visual quality of the games as long as they're generally pretty and create the proper atmosphere. There's still no other franchise or game series out there that gives me the kind of experience Pokemon games do. That's my reality, so I'll keep buying the games as long as they provide this experience. I cannot and will not tell anyone else what to do with their money or time. I only encourage people to think about why they play Pokemon. If the national dex really is important to you, then you're completely justified in putting the series aside until something is done about it. If it's not as important to you, then don't let other people pressure you into a boycott.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
2) Pokemon is, as I just mentioned, a franchise. A BIG franchise. Overall, it brings in about $90 billion USD. The games themselves, however are second to the merchandise and anime, which bring in $61.1 billion USD vs. the games' $17.138 billion USD. It's not that the games themselves aren't important or big money makers, but that they're secondary to investors and sponsors. Thus, the games releasing consistently and regularly is paramount to keeping this up.

That's me. I don't play the games I just watch the anime so I hope the anime goes back to being as good as XY and less like Sun & Mooon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2