• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Responds to Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Anime's Booklet Errors

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
ShadowAssailantX wrote:
Theodore Relic wrote:

I got vol. 2 from Comixology. I started reading the UY series when Viz began to do the localizations back in I think 1989, and soon after, bought the Japanese widebans which collected the entire series in 15 volumes.

I expected them to replace Gerard Jones as localizer (understandable, given his being jailed for being a pedo) but the localizations were just so bland, it's almost like they used the anime localizations Animeigo used as a guide and took the life out of them.

The books are around 400 pages long, around the size of the widebans so I expected them to replicate those. Nope. They printed them by dividing the books into two parts, like they were trying to reprint the standard tankobons. But then, they added around 10 or so pages of filler that focused on a particular character (in this volume's case, Shinobu and Cherry, which they devoted around 10 pages EACH). The chapters were horribly out of order.

For instance, you had the story where Ataru, realizing how Lum just went to bat for him (once again), decides to hold her hand and walk with her. In the Japanese original that progressed into the story involving Ataru's diary. Here, they shoehorned a story from the first volume where it made no sense (the drunken fox spirit).

Worst of all, one of the stories was literally missing four pages in the middle of it! Specifically, the drunken fox story.

Considering how Viz is wanting to use this title to relaunch UY, historically their worst-selling title (but one of my all-time favorite manga), this was clearly not the way to do it. I've been looking around to see if anyone else was talking about this mess, but found nothing.

Maybe it's just because I'm a very long-time reader of this series, but paying $10.99 for digital for this really upset me, and really burned me out of buying more. I still have the wideban set I bought nearly 30 years ago, so I'll just stick with them.

There are 3 different editions of the series released in Japan. The ones we are getting are based on the 3rd (shinsoban) release, except released as 2-in-ones. The chapter order reflects the original tanks order. It was the 2nd release that changed up the chapter order to the one you're familiar with. Im not sure which one is using the original Shonen unday ordering, but I would imagine it's the tanks as they came out first. It was probably the widebans that moved things around and added extra pages.

The widebans that I have started coming out in 1989 (the first ones on 8/15/1989, according to my copy) and the story in question (in the Japanese, "Sake to Namida to Otoko to Onna" (Sake, Tears, Man, Woman) originally came out in Shonen Sunday weekly on 12/20/1978, in wideban vol. 1.

The story that preceded the vol. 2 American reprint I bought a couple of weeks ago, "Kimi matedemo..." (can't quite remember the English translation at the moment), would have came out in week 11 of 1980 (there was a nearly year-long break Takahashi took from the series in 1979). There is a distinct difference in the art styles for the two stories, given that about a year and a half separated the stories.

But Viz, when they originally got the rights to the UY series and started publishing them, the widebans weren't out yet in Japan so they had to go by the page order of the original tankobon volumes. The fox story didn't see print in the original floppies that Viz put out, but I recall it was put back in the correct order in the initial Viz trade paperbacks, which came out shortly after Viz canceled the series in 1990.

In any case, the chapters are pretty clearly out of order (another story, the first appearance of Sakura's fiancee' Tsubame Ozuno, was also reprinted out of order in the new Viz release), and it still doesn't address the fact that Viz omitted pages from a story as well as the substandard localization. For a series Viz wanted to revive, they did a very poor job of it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
bluesheep02 wrote:

I’ve collected all the BD releases so far here in japan and imported all the releases from Viz so far and I can definitively say while the masters improved in supers it’s still not the same quality as the BDs released in Japan.
This is likely due to the Viz release having more episodes and content per disc than the Japanese release.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
They’ve really dropped the ball with their releases of Sailor Moon.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I washed my hands of Viz’s dub years ago. Their handling of the Sailor Moon license has been disappointing since the very beginning. That Moon Twilight Flash part was the final straw for me and I don’t regret my decision.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
My own theory as the reasons for these booklet errors is maybe it was because they originally had planned to release Stars part 1 in May but then it already got pushed back to June. They already pushed the date back once and the preorders were already out so they ended up rushing the booklet to get the sets out in time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Viz has also announced recently on Twitter that they will also be fixing the errors regarding Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune and they will be offering replacements for the booklet. https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1143304531121360896
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
I washed my hands of Viz’s dub years ago. Their handling of the Sailor Moon license has been disappointing since the very beginning. That Moon Twilight Flash part was the final straw for me and I don’t regret my decision.

What’s that part?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
^It's from episode 4 of Crystal when Sailor Moon first uses Moon Twilight Flash. For some reason, the Japanese version had her repeat her "I'll punish you" line a second time before the attack so it was unnamed there but in the Viz dub, they changed it to her yelling it out just like she originally did in the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WXWQGPckc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqOYRsjWqE

The first time it was "broadcast", it led to stupid rumors claiming Kotono Mitsuishi didn't know how to say "Moon Twilight Flash" when she actually did say it 19 years earlier for the arcade beat em up game so it made no sense what happened here.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^It's from episode 4 of Crystal when Sailor Moon first uses Moon Twilight Flash. For some reason, the Japanese version had her repeat her "I'll punish you" line a second time before the attack so it was unnamed there but in the Viz dub, they changed it to her yelling it out just like she originally did in the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WXWQGPckc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqOYRsjWqE

The first time it was "broadcast", it led to stupid rumors claiming Kotono Mitsuishi didn't know how to say "Moon Twilight Flash" when she actually did say it 19 years earlier for the arcade beat em up game so it made no sense what happened here.

Interesting.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
That sounds more like a problem with Toei than Viz.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I just checked on the progress of the replacements for the Sailor Moon Season 5 booklets and found the page had been updated with instructions on how to get the replacement. There is no date on the new text so I don't know how long it has been up.

https://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/v/1006689
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
^The update was posted last week but there was an issue with the e-mail which they fixed 4 days ago so it's good now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2