• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madhouse's Abusive Practices Haven't Changed, Says Animator

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Remember, studios try to out-low bid each other to get the project.

That's why budgets don't increase - because there's always some studio somewhere with a lower bid.

If they band together and agree on an absolute minimum (yes, there'd be business consequences for that), but budgets would increase. Then they can hire more people to lessen the workload per person.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
That's normal in TV anime in general. Older shows did that all the times and people still fell love with anime, not just because animation quality went up. And is it a sin for newer anime to take those shortcuts?

Camera pans and zooms are something Japanese productions have done for decades: Visual shortcuts to compensate lack of animation due to limited resource. ... Those camera pans and zooms have been used on pretty much every single anime out there, one way or the other.

Yes, I know that. I have many Bee Train productions on disk. Smile I wasn't objecting to the technique, but rather its extreme and unsubtle overuse.

The first seasons employed those techniques too, but not to this extent. In fact I've admired their ability to simulate motion with essentially still shots of someone running, yet with only their hair or uniform sleeve actually moving. This season is different. What is the point of speed lines around a still of an inanimate object that's not even supposed to be moving in the first place? To show it's sitting on the desk really fast? When there are fewer than two minutes total of actual animation in a 25 minute episode, something is wrong, regardless of genre.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
I do wonder, though, if the viewers would be fine with waiting 2 weeks instead of 1 for each episode for TV anime.

I think you already know the answer to your question. Considering how anime fans react when an episode gets delayed.

A delay's different though, because you're expecting the episode to be there and it's not. If a series is good I honestly believe it'll easily endure a 2-week wait between each episode. Some people might whinge online, but they'll still end up watching it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
If a series is good I honestly believe it'll easily endure a 2-week wait between each episode. Some people might whinge online, but they'll still end up watching it.

And there is precedent. Figure 17 aired one episode per month, and in the heyday of OVAs those never had weekly releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2