• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moé Anthropomorphism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
Heh, I know. Wierd concept. It's something I've recently been interested in and looking into though.

What it is, is basically the anthropomorphism of various objects, concepts, websites, or other things into, uh, cute bishoujo. The characters generally have accessories and personalities or other traits that represent their original forms. This article could also probably provide some useful information on it.

Popularity has been increasing over the last few years... Just some examples: Bisuke-tan is the anthropomorphic form of KFC's biscuits. Habanero-tan is the anthropomorphic form of a Japanese snack food called Bōkun Habanero. I'm sure a lot of people here have (or should have) heard of the popular OS-tans, the anthropomorphic forms of various operating systems. Hmm, the anime Bincho-tan has various characters that are anthropomorphisms of different types of charcoal and other objects.

Also, I was also thinking of how it would be fun to create our own ANN-tan. Although, I have little experience in drawing such characters... Probably a variation of Jadress would be suitable (since Jadress as she is, isn't very moe imo...). Or something completely new would also be fine.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Also, I was also thinking of how it would be fun to create our own ANN-tan. Although, I have little experience in drawing such characters... Probably a variation of Jadress would be suitable (since Jadress as she is, isn't very moe imo...). Or something completely new would also be fine.

This could be interesting. Maybe designing a ANN-tan could lead to a competition of some sort?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Wait, what about Jadress?

Isn't she the embodiment of ANN, from some inexplicable reason? You could just make a prepubescent Jadress-tan if the mascot wants to go with the (moe) times.

Also, some of those pictures are creepy >.<
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Those Habanero-tans still growing on the vine look a bit creepy...

Habanero-tan is hot ! Ahhh hahahahahaaa... (sorry)
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
I remember my college-level english teacher used the A word and everyone just stared, haha.

Interesting concept, I don't watch those types of animes so I wouldn't know.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
You guys need to take a lesson from Uncyclopedia: Wink

Before moe-anthropomorphizing:

After:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Wait, what about Jadress?

Isn't she the embodiment of ANN, from some inexplicable reason? You could just make a prepubescent Jadress-tan if the mascot wants to go with the (moe) times.

No. Just making her younger wouldn't mean anything and wouldn't necessarily make her moe nor would it make her an anthropomorphic form of ANN. She'd have to have a personality that represents ANN, as well as some cute accessories to identify her as being such. I was thinking of tsundere actually. A lot of the members here on this forum are, um, not very nice to newcomers, but once you get to know them they become a bit more sensitive (kind of). Like tsundere. Because of the vast encyclopedia, probably also the more intelligent type. Meganekko would look good. ANN hair clips I guess also.

DaZ616 wrote:
This could be interesting. Maybe designing a ANN-tan could lead to a competition of some sort?

-DaZ

Maybe. Characters like this usually seem to be unofficial, as well as just coming by coincidence, often as a result of Japanese forum discussions. I can guarantee you it wouldn't be anything offically sponsored, they're usually fan works. But that's the nature of these characters, I wouldn't want one to be official either.

Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Also, some of those pictures are creepy >.<

Forgot to mention this, as it may look a bit wierd to people unfamiliar. Habanero-tan is on a toilet because apparently spicy foods such on the one she's based on are supposed to make you go.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Jadress as a Anthropomorphism...could be interesting to see. Oh and spicy food does make you go...or it makes me at least.

mrgazpacho wrote:
Those Habanero-tans still growing on the vine look a bit creepy...

But you didn't find Bisuke-tan a bit creepy...I think the syrup was tooo much. Laughing
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Forgot to mention this, as it may look a bit wierd to people unfamiliar. Habanero-tan is on a toilet because apparently spicy foods such on the one she's based on are supposed to make you go.

Um..It might just be me but that makes it even MORE creepy now.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
CrockPot wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Um..It might just be me but that makes it even MORE creepy now.

Hmm...how so? It actually clears things up a bit to make it less creepy.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Damnit PantsGoblin, you tempted me!! Here's my quick attempt:

Anime smile + sweatdrop It looks like her name is "Ann."
I've always loved the idea of anthropomorphizing random things and idea, whether they're made into cute little girls or attractive adult characters, so moe-anthro stuff is pretty fun for the most part. I only don't like it when the moe characters are blatantly sexualized though, like that KFC biscuit picture.. that creeps me out big time. *shudder* But that robot/monster pic that Dormcat posted is pretty cute and funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty good Jadress, I like it. I agree about the sexualization bit as well, the biscuit one was a tad on the creepy side, the others are decent though although I couldn't quite pick out all the ones in the OS one, some of them weren't that obvious at all. I also picked up on the Habanero toilet reference before reading the explanation, it seemed appropriate for the subject matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I like that picture. Oh ya, I also forgot to mention Wii-tan. Picture's kind of funny.
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
You guys need to take a lesson from Uncyclopedia: Wink

Before moe-anthropomorphizing:

After:

Some warm moe goodness.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I love Wii-tan PantsGoblin she was so damn cute and funny... my brother-in-law busted his T.V. too because of the Wii...I should send that to him. Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8