• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moé Anthropomorphism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm pretty sure I like Pants's Wii-tan the best, then Mouse-tan!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
My favorties are Biscuit-tan, then Wii-tan, then Dreamcast-tan, and then Mouse-tan. Wink
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this topic! I'm really enjoying this. Here's one I just spotted a couple days ago. I had no idea how common this phenomenon was!
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Fate Fox over that one. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
the new anthropomorphed-ANN-tan better be a male.

Wtf? Out of the question. They're always female.

Nay. Josou bishounen (pretty boy in female clothing), such as Mizuho Miyanokouji from OtoBoku and Jun Watarase from Happiness! and Pico, was the most popular type of characters of 2006.

@Jadress: I was surprised to see you loved the idea and drew one for her so fast! Excellent artwork!

The 404 Jadress has moe potential too. How about chibifying her with tiny torso and waving arms? Laughing

@pieisexactlythree: FF-tan and TB-tan have been existing for a long time, together with other OS-tans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
the new anthropomorphed-ANN-tan better be a male.

Wtf? Out of the question. They're always female.

Nay. Josou bishounen (pretty boy in female clothing), such as Mizuho Miyanokouji from OtoBoku and Jun Watarase from Happiness! and Pico, was the most popular type of characters of 2006.

Ya, but they're pretty much female anyway. I'm still in awe from how taking a character who is essentially female, and just labeling them a "male" could garner SO much attention. You could pretty much do that with any flat chested female character... The reason I don't really like Jun that much. At least Bridget looked like he could go either way...
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Oh ya, I also forgot to mention Wii-tan. Picture's kind of funny.

Here's more of Wii-tan, plus Dreamcast-tan, Gamecube-tan, Mouse-tan, Xbox360-tan, and the unfathomably sexy Xbox-tan. And for those of you that were creeped out by the other picture, here's a poopless Habanero-tan.

If you want to see more, you can go to the Net Characters board on http://www.wakachan.org/ , which is where I found all of these images.

Theres no PS2/PS3-tan?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Theres no PS2/PS3-tan?

-DaZ

I'm sure there is, but I couldn't find any pictures of her.

On an unrelated note, the first result for a Google search for "Xbox-tan" is this Urban Dictionary page.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
DaZ616 wrote:
Theres no PS2/PS3-tan?

-DaZ

I'm sure there is, but I couldn't find any pictures of her.

On an unrelated note, the first result for a Google search for "Xbox-tan" is this Urban Dictionary page.

My friend uses that term to, thanks for reminding me...never asked what he meant now I know.. Very Happy
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Jadress as a Anthropomorphism...could be interesting to see. Oh and spicy food does make you go...or it makes me at least.

mrgazpacho wrote:
Those Habanero-tans still growing on the vine look a bit creepy...

But you didn't find Bisuke-tan a bit creepy...I think the syrup was tooo much. Laughing

Creepy as in "undead killers" creepy. Not as in "eww, it made me think bad thoughts" creepy Smile
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

off topic but, i've been looking for the name of that happiness anime and the jun character for a few days now. Thanks :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like there is a PS2-tan

Found a few for PS3 but as far as I could find they weren't very good, only way I knew most of them were supposed to be PS3 were because the pic was labelled as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
It would help if somebody could clarify the definition of Moe. From the usage in this thread it appears interchangeable with kawai. Wikipedia has not been much help, though they do have their own moe anthropomorphised character.
wikipedia wrote:
The properties that make a character moe are often difficult to define but easy to recognize.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
It would help if somebody could clarify the definition of Moe. From the usage in this thread it appears interchangeable with kawai. Wikipedia has not been much help, though they do have their own moe anthropomorphised character.
wikipedia wrote:
The properties that make a character moe are often difficult to define but easy to recognize.

I thought Wikipedia actually did a pretty good job with this.

wikipedia wrote:
The most common features include youthfulness as a physical trait (young age) or as an emotional trait (naive or innocent outlook) and some obvious sympathetic weakness the character works hard to correct.

However, most artists define moe not as a reference to a character so much as any personality that elicits a protective or loving response from the audience. Appearance aside, the personality of moekko can vary widely; a tomboy or a sarcastic cynic could be considered 'moe' given a specific audience. Some of the more popular moekko actually have a few traits that do not traditionally fit into the label, and others have gained such a following by accident.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
wikipedia wrote:

There isn't really any set definition of moe as far as I'm concerned. It differs from person to person, and I know some who will find something moe while others don't. If anything, it involves invoking the feeling of protection in the viewer. But I would hardly say it's just limited to that...

There's a distinct difference between kawaii (assume you meant kawaii, as kawai actually means "scary") and moe. I finds puppies to be cute, but I would hardly call them moe. But I wouldn't deny that both moe and kawaii are connected.

It's really a difficult concept to define, and I know people who just don't get it. So if you don't "get it", it may just be better to move on. I've tried explaining it to some people and there really are people who just don't understand the concept.

You can look here if you want for some reference on what other people consider moe:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19759
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8