• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review threads suggestion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noriah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
So I've been reading the episode reviews and those are great, this isn't about the reviews themselves, but rather the structure of the affiliated talkback threads.

Most of the time, I'm not current on whatever series, and the reviews are good about not particularly spoiling what happens in later episodes, but every ep review directs to the beginning of the discussion thread. The thread has little to no indication where the break between discussing one episode ends and the next begins, so it is quite easy to accidentally get spoiled. As a result I've stopped reading most of the episode reviews or their discussion threads until I finish series, if at all.

My suggestion is a bit of thread organization:
A- an OP index post that posts simultaneously with the first episode review
B- an additional post in thread each time a new episode review goes up
C- OP post links to each additional post (B)
D- (optional) each episode review could link to the (B) post corresponding to the same ep
this could even potentially be automated with a bot?

Not even talking about a complicated post just something like:
A wrote:
Episode review discussion
Episode 2 [link]
Episode 3 [link]
B wrote:
Update: Episode 3 review is up

It would make for a clear point for those behind the airing of a show to stop when they don't want to read potential spoilers for episodes after the one they've watched, and also be a useful tool for anyone else looking for discussion of particular episodes.

I mostly only lurk and read talkback threads, so if this is miscategorized or something, go ahead and move the thread. m(-_-)m
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I like the suggestion, but I'm not certain how we would achieve it. Automating it would be challenging I think, but I'll have to ask Dan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1