• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vinland Saga (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Askeladd and his party are fortunate they found a remote hamlet in the Welsh highlands. Despite the lack of food relative to the numbers he commands, they still obtain shelter from the elements. Unsurprisingly all of the hapless villagers are slaughtered, save the daughter Anne who might have a role to play later in this story as she features in the OP.

A lot of this episode is focused on Anne and her background leading to this episode. One of the more rational personalities, she doesn't have unwavering belief in the Christian God and has misgivings despite her parents being devout and typical of the time. Her pilfering of the ring in the marketplace is the act which keeps her alive, as she is able to evade Askleladd and the raiders in the middle of a snowstorm. Now that her whole family has been butchered, how is Anne going to process everything? Abandon her faith and live life the way she chooses, or seek revenge? She's still alive despite being out in the open at night, so she's definitely tough enough in her own way.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
14:

Man this episode's heavy.

The priest is on to something; as a Christian, his idea of 'love' is basically about altruism and caring for those not even related to you. It's natural that one would have the back of your family or clan members, but for a stranger (let alone a drunk one)? Wouldn't make sense to do so. In a way that's *how religion brings people together, even those across the oceans. Too bad the priest needs to be in Alcoholics Anonymous.

If you're appalled by Askeladd's actions, well you shouldn't; this is what he's been doing all along. This episode only shows how, by wanting to pursue his destiny, he's willing to plunder villages and massacre people. You'd scream "dishonorable!", but that's what I've been saying all along; he's not running a charity. The fact that he's killing his own people should a strong reminder to everyone (remember, this is the same guy who claims to hate Danes, but wouldn't bat an eye to kill his fellow Welshmen either).

People from another land (i.e. Danes) attacking innocent people, there's one word that describes them perfectly and etymologically: barbarians.

*whether religion (or in this case, the spread of Christianity in Scandinavia) did make the world a better place in the tenth century, that's another topic
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
The fact that he's killing his own people should a strong reminder to everyone (remember, this is the same guy who claims to hate Danes, but wouldn't bat an eye to kill his fellow Welshmen either).
This might not have been made clear in the anime, but in the manga it's specified that the village was in Mercia, i.e. England. And even in the previous episode of the anime Askeladd made it a point to get out of Wales before full on winter (edit: plus, one of the reasons Askeladd gives for not leaving any survivors is that they may inform the English troops under Thorkell about Canute's forces, which they would have no reason or opportunity to do if they were Welsh). I believe he really does have a soft spot for Wales.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Certainly makes Askeladd and the rest feel like entirely irredeemable monsters. And also feels like under the mask Askeladd might be just as disgusted, but thinks it is the only way to use his Vikings is to play the part. But this should be cross the line as being the monster he thinks to be playing.

This show is making me like Nords from Elder Scrolls less. While Skyrim is my favourite games ever. One of the notable gods in the game being Stendarr, a god of mercy, who apparently was a branch of the Nordic god Stuhn, a god of ransom, who holds the same place as mercy for the Nords by saying that Nords did not need to slaughter everyone but ransom a few.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
This might not have been made clear in the anime, but in the manga it's specified that the village was in Mercia, i.e. England. And even in the previous episode of the anime Askeladd made it a point to get out of Wales before full on winter (edit: plus, one of the reasons Askeladd gives for not leaving any survivors is that they may inform the English troops under Thorkell about Canute's forces, which they would have no reason or opportunity to do if they were Welsh). I believe he really does have a soft spot for Wales.

Hmm, not sure if that part is stated clearly. If that is the case, then I'll see if he really does have a soft spot for the Welsh (seems to be the case for now).

That doesn't clear the fact that he's still ruthless, even if he's being strategic. Vikings were never known for civility, were they.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote

So Anne chose to survive and headed off to the nearest friendly settlement to report the massacre. This complicates matters for Askeladd and the others as it means the English will raise troops to chase after them even though it's Yule and armies traditionally stop campaigning during the winter season. Thorkell and the others outnumber Askeladd and his men, so if the chase resumes and the Prince doesn't reach Gainsborough it's going to be curtains.

Askeladd's men probably fought off the small English detachment, but if they failed to annihilate them they'll pair up with Thorkell's men and it'll be a repeat of the chase from London to the Severn. A chase during winter in the English Midlands is tough, and even Askeladd's men are starting to question if their commander's famed luck has finally deserted him with this great scheme of his.

Ragnar's fate was coming sooner or later, but Anne's unexpected survival appears to have forced Askeladd's hand. His dying revelation means reaching Gainsborough will not necessarily be the sanctuary they seek, especially when the battle-scarred Sweyn actually assumed his second son to be dead instead of missing as reported. Thorfinn might well have to play a bigger role than he already does now that Ragnar is gone; no one else in Askeladd's party speaks to the Prince as he's just a hostage and means of money to them.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
15:

In unison.

I love how this episode has a single overarching theme: father figure.

It's evident what's going on when the three were praying. Mr. Priest starts doubting about Father's love, and Canute lashes out. But it's obvious that Canute's projecting: though he reminds Priest that fathers (should) love their sons, it's more like he's telling that to himself. He doesn't want to doubt, but even he can't deny it and the episode's revealing ending further cements it. And now his own father wants him dead...bummer.

Do you see how odd things are playing out now? King Sweyn sent Canute out to die in the battlefield so that he can hand the throne to his older son. And then Askeladd sent Conehead out to die in the "battlefield" so that he can "hand the throne" to Canute. I don't know if Askeladd sees the irony in his plan after hearing about the power struggle.

Coming back to the theme of father figure, Askeladd has now robbed two father figures: Thorfinn's father and Canute's "father" (let's be real: Sweyn may be Canute's father, but Conehead is Canute's daddy). And Askeladd is deliberate in making Thorfinn and Canute fatherless and making martyrs out of their respective fathers, Thors and Conehead. Ruthless enough for you?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
16:

Theme of the week: faith in leader.

I want to say 'loyalty' but the nuance isn't right. It's about belief in the leader. Revolt happens when men starts questioning their leader's abilities and eventually loses faith in him. And if you want to take Askeladd's faction as a microcosm of society, well it's valid: when society loses faith in their leaders, they lost trust and mutiny happens. In modern age, you have something more civilized, such as approval ratings.

Askeladd makes a big gamble by trusting in Canute bucking up as a leader (or a useful pawn, if you want to be more cynical). But lo and behold, some of his own men are making a gamble of their own by turning their backs on him. "I still think he's a great leader; I just think his time is finally up... no hard feelings"? That's exactly what Askeladd would say to anyone he uses or kills.

Everyone's just looking out for himself. "Every man for himself" at its finest.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote

I honestly thought Askeladd was finished this week. His men have finally given up on his leadership and have rebelled just as Thorkinn and company have caught up with them. Although he's seen this coming and tried his best to stall, it wasn't to any avail. Still, Askeladd is still capable of putting up a fight despite his self-styled "advanced years". He staked everything on Thorkinn getting to his position before he was killed by his own men and it has worked to some degree, but with Thorfinn's surprise intervention even he can't predict how matters will turn out next. If Thorfinn dies during next week's duel his immediate fate is uncertain although he'll certain die eventually. If Thorkell dies there's no guarantee the promise of freedom and a horse will be given to Thorfinn, not to mention Thorfinn might well kill him then and there before Askeladd's injuries finish him off.

For a pirate with no scruples, Askeladd is surprisingly determined to honour oaths. There's the case with Thors, and now it appears he hoped to do the same with his mother's dying wish. It probably won't come to pass, but it does explain why he's going so far with Cnut that he's risk everything he's achieved to date to get what he wants. Things being what they are, it's almost impossible for Askeladd to make a clean getaway and start over, so he'll probably be killed at some point. The question is, what will his death mean for those who have worked with him up to this point?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
17:

Did I ever mention how much I love Thorkell? His warm-up cracked me up.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
18:

I had some trouble understanding the priest's definition of love, more so when he mentions that Ragnar's 'love' for Canute is merely 'discrimination'. But now I get it.

Love is basically everything about mother nature and all forms of exist. Everyone and everything is equal, because above them all lies love, and love brings harmony. It's only when someone gets more love than others e.g. when Ragnar loves Canute above even his own life, when disharmony happens. That is why men fight and die, and wars happen. And Prince Canute seeks to prevent more disharmony from happening.

Truth be told, the show's waxing philosophical about pacifism and unconditional love. I get the message (finally), and from now on we're going to see how Prince Canute is going to bring all men together and rule Scandinavia and England as king. How did this happen? When he decided to man up and learns that no one is going to give him peace on a silver platter.

So guess what? Askaladd's plan worked.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
After a two week break, I was expecting to see a conclusion between the grudge match featuring Thorkell and Thorfinn. I think I got to see it at the end, but before that the show uses the rest of the episode to fundamentally change Cnut from the spoiled brat he was to someone more fitting as the eventual King of the Danelaw.

The priest spends most of his time drinking alcohol, but he gets some of the best lines in the series. At first hearing, one would think he's being blasphemous with his definition of what love is. After digesting his entire explanation, he starts to make sense albeit in a very different manner to what modern day Christianity would refer to. The one thing which does matter is Cnut ditching the crutches (religion and Ragnar) which have held him back all this while. If the Deity helps those who help themselves, then any prayers Cnut used to present to his God will start being answered now that he's being proactive in the drama he finds himself in.

As for Askeladd, Cnut's awakening suits him as he now resembles the liege he's been looking to serve all this time. On the other hand, he's no longer a manipulated puppet and any miscalculation by Askeladd will lead to Thorfinn's revenge being fulfilled much sooner than he expected and not by his own hand.

Speaking of Thorfinn, did the snow and branches break his fall enough to keep him alive? Thorkell's well entertained, so if he does survive he'll tell the boy more about his father in future episodes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote

The duel reaches its conclusion, but before that Thorkell kept his promise and told Thorfinn about the story of his father and how he learned about his desertion together with his wife. And yes, this is the second time in the series Thorkell reveals he's related to Thorfinn, the first time was indirectly learnt from the JomsVikings leader when he parleyed with Thorkell back in London. Thorkell is a warrior through and through, absolutely dense in matters not relevant to the battle at hand but very skilled when on it.

At the end of the story, Thorfinn has no choice but to swallow his pride and listen to Askeladd's advice. Turns out it worked, Thorfinn (with a bit of help) is the only person to deprive Thorkell of his eye and a few fingers in battle. Askeladd must have seen Thorkell go out cold with a knock to his thick skull, so he told Thorfinn to go for it.

Fortuitously, Cnut arrives and with his awakening he manages to save everyone from dying and keep the story moving forward. Askeladd must have bet he would not be executed on the spot even with the truth regarding Ragnar's death, and he was proven right. All good leaders will use every resource they have at their disposal when there's a bigger goal in mind and so it has proved. Cnut wants his civil war and court intrigue settle decisively in his favour and he'll do that through regicide, with such resolve and someone like Thorkell at his side in a surprise attack he might just pull it off. For now, Thorfinn and the others will remain alive and under Cnut's command until the prince either pulls it off or dies trying.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
19:

So while Canute got his epiphany about the concept of love, he also realizes that his daddy wants him dead... which is the secret that Ragnar kept to himself until Askeladd killed him. That was supposed to be the wrench in Askeladd's plan, and that was also supposed to make things interesting. I have to admit, it's too convenient that Canute realizes the secret, almost somewhat handed to him in his epiphany.

Askeladd has a master plan, and even when things don't go according to it, it somewhat resolves itself. If that's not enough, he even got Thorfinn to cooperate with him (aka Thors's killer) to defeat Thorkell (aka Thors's former comrade). If that's still not enough, his biggest enemy has now become his ally. The icing on top of the cake? He confesses his crime to Canute, banking on the prince's newfound anti-violence principle (and somewhat making the latter believe that the former's repenting... as naive as that sounds) and joining his crusade.

No wonder Askeladd laughed his head off. He can't believe the kind of devil's luck he's having; everything went so much better than he could have ever imagined.

But one thing, though...

spoiler[how the **** does he know what shogi is?]
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Next few episodes might diverge from the manga.

https://twitter.com/yabshu55/status/1198980206817464321

https://twitter.com/yabshu55/status/1196846098599440384

ACxS wrote:

But one thing, though...

spoiler[how the **** does he know what shogi is?]

Yeah the translation probably should've just said Chess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11