• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans, Official Translator Weigh in on Netflix Evangelion English Subtitle Debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
What worries me the most about this whole thing is the fact all this whole mess could affect any future releases of the series in other media or formats, or even the grade to Khara could outright ban any foreign language dubs just to avoid had to deal with this whole thing again, which could be a very unfair outcome for both the people who translated and did the English dub, and the foreign voice actors who did their respective dubs, even the one who weren't affected so much with this.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I do agree with whiskeyii though that "leftist" was a bad word choice here. That conjures up a very different image in the mind of a western viewer than it does a Japanese one, and I really do think "terrorist" or "terrorist group" would've gotten the point across just as well with minimal confusion.

An English viewer is probably familiar with Antifa though, which is recognized as the largest domestic terrorist group in the US and it's rooted in left-wing politics. Just saying "terrorist" would make people think of things like 9/11 or Pulse. "Leftist" can apply to both Japanese and American imagery of violence, though, which is convenient and more accurate than just saying 'terrorist'

yurgasaki wrote:
Honestly, and I don't mean to come off like I'm picking a fight here, but acting as though this comes down to butthurt shippers is pretty willfully ignorant. I personally don't give a shit either way about Shinji/Asuka or Shinji/Kaworu, but I was pretty irritated by these changes regardless

You just got done saying Kaworu/Shinji was "one of the most iconic queer confessions in anime". It's pretty clear you care about this ship or at least are saying it's canon, when it is just fan headcanon and shipping and not official at all.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
You just got done saying Kaworu/Shinji was "one of the most iconic queer confessions in anime". It's pretty clear you care about this ship or at least are saying it's canon, when it is just fan headcanon and shipping and not official at all.

You sure are making a lot of assumptions, my guy!

No, I don't particularly care about Shinji/Kaworu as a ship. But regardless of my feelings on it (which are Strong Neutral with a side of Neutral), Kaworu's queerness is incredibly important to a lot of people, both back then and now, just as Utena's queerness and Neptune and Uranus's queerness were and continue to be. Like, it's possible to recognize that Other People Have Opinions About Things without sharing those opinions yourself.

As for the question of whether I think it's "canon" or not -- if by "canon" you mean that they enter into some sort of formal romantic relationship with each other then no, it's not any more canon than Shinji/Asuka or Shinji/Rei or whatever else. But it literally is canon that these two are intended to have some degree of romantic and/or sexual tension. Anno has outright said so himself.

And that's without getting into the can of worms that is 3.0, but that's a different continuity, of course.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 am Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:
[...]
I also just want to say that I think that the Twitter harassment really sucks big time. These days it feels practically impossible to discuss certain issues without a) making harassers feel justified in their shitty behaviours, or b) becoming a target of harassment yourself. Often both.

This is why I will not touch social media with a nine-foot pole. The risk just isn't worth it.....
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Frog-kun wrote:
[...]
I also just want to say that I think that the Twitter harassment really sucks big time. These days it feels practically impossible to discuss certain issues without a) making harassers feel justified in their shitty behaviours, or b) becoming a target of harassment yourself. Often both.

This is why I will not touch social media with a nine-foot pole. The risk just isn't worth it.....

That's a good choice. I use Twitter mostly as a source of news, and even in that sense, I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind getting mad at human stupidity.
FelipeFR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Are you really trying to tell me that "I want to be with you forever" and "You're the only one for me" aren't loaded with romantic subtext? And that's putting aside the fact that Shinji is literally not actually saying those words in the audio track. You could only make the jump from "Asuka, help me. It's no good if anyone but Asuka helps me!" (super clunky but literal) to "Please, you're the only one for me!" if you were intentionally looking to add romantic overtones.

Not at all, because, if one pays attention to the context of the scene, it is clear Shinji is still just desperately looking for affection and to use Asuka as an emotional crutch. He fakely uses romantic undertones in order to try and get her attention, but he is being facetious because he is childish and selfish. And Asuka calls him out on his bullshit seconds after. It's like the people criticizing this have only now realized that Asuka and Rei and Misato and even Touji are actually relevant to Shinji and the plot.

yurigasaki wrote:
No, I don't particularly care about Shinji/Kaworu as a ship. But regardless of my feelings on it (which are Strong Neutral with a side of Neutral), Kaworu's queerness is incredibly important to a lot of people, both back then and now, just as Utena's queerness and Neptune and Uranus's queerness were and continue to be. Like, it's possible to recognize that Other People Have Opinions About Things without sharing those opinions yourself.

...so? People are entitled to their own interpretations. Like I mentioned before, people were also absolutely certain Rei was a perfect moe waifu, and 2.0 had deliberately played with those expectations. After 3.0 deconstructed that, people were equally angry at Anno for a supposed conspiracy to prop up Asuka and "the betrayal of Reishin fans". Anno is the creator, he can do with his work as he wants. Particularly when he is not even changing anything here but simply bringing a new translation closer to the way the show is actually written. Anno never realized many of the things people would end up interpreting from Eva - Rei becoming the perfect moe doll is one example, Kaworu the perfect yaoi saviour another. He did do the Director's Cuts later, and you could in a way call those retcons... except that, of course, he did not really alter anything (except, for, say, Misato NOT being supposedly implied to having killed Kaji), and only added more context. You can also say the same thing about the Rebuilds. The Japanese text is still there, the Japanese release is still the same, if he decided to alter an English translation of his work (that had many flaws to begin with), he is well within that right, particularly when nothing here is removing anything but only bringing it closer to how it was actually written. If people are unwilling to accept the show how it was actually written because it clashes with their interpretations built out of a notoriously flawed localization, too bad for them, but that doesn't make the actual show any less legitimate. Not at the least because, you know, other interpretations have also existed all along. Once again, all of these have been fixed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyL3cGV6JDY

And Anno has NEVER said. You are just reading into BS rumours. Anno has, in fact, explicitely denied "carnal feelings" on Shinji's part, and never commented on anything else, since, with very few exceptions (such as this), Anno repeatedly explains he is never going to explain things to people or dictate interpretations - he lets the work speaks for itself. If people are only now realizing that maybe the one-episode non-human character isn't all that special because of two changed words, even though the larger context and his (almsot complete lack of) appearances at every subsequent opportunity were always there, so be it.
FelipeFR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ANN is not letting me edit the above post, so...

In fact, before 3.0 played with those expectations for Kaworu, he was a relatively niche character, particularly in the West. If that hadn't happen in 2012, the last major Eva release (sans the long-delayed final chaper of the manga), the number of people who'd care about this in 2019 might not be enough for it to be news in the first place.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
FelipeFR wrote:
And Anno has NEVER said. You are just reading into BS rumours. Anno has, in fact, explicitely denied "carnal feelings" on Shinji's part, and never commented on anything else, since, with very few exceptions (such as this).

The Evangelion filmbook of episode 24 transcribes a number of Shinji and Kaworu's scenes together, tracing Shinji's thoughts more closely, in both cases, noting that Shinji's heart "misses (skips) a beat" because of Kaworu. In addition, it transcribes Kaworu's line as using 逢 as the word for 'meet(ing)', which is a form of the word with specifically romantic connotations – specifically a lover's tryst or a secret date,
as defined by Jisho.

In the Hideaki Anno Evangelion Parano anthology (庵野秀明 パラノ・エヴァンゲリオン in Japanese, if you'd like to google to verify), there is this section that specifically makes reference to Kaworu as a same-sex love interest for Shinji.

Quote:
Nagisa Kaworu The fifth Eva pilot whom Seele sent in. To Shinji, he was both the very first friend he could confide in as well as a same-sex romantic interest. On the account of his true nature as an “Angel”, he attempts to merge with the First Angel, Adam, ensconced in Nerv’s underground, to trigger Third Impact. Driven at the far end of his anguish, Shinji kills that beloved friend of his with Eva Unit-01.

In the August 1997 issue of JUNE (Japan's oldest yaoi magazine), Anno was interviewed and spoke primarily about Kaworu, with some passing mentions of Shinji and Kaworu specifically. In particular, he confirms that the episode writer of episode 24, Satsukawa Akio, was "right on the mark" when it came to homoeroticism, i.e, same-sex attraction. The full interview is here for context, but I'll bring over the relevant bits.

Quote:
Interviewer: Usually, Anno-san, you and one other person are credited with the screenplay, but what sort of a relationship do you two have?

Anno: I had him do the plot after we spoke together, and I fixed up what took the form of the script once more to get it ready for animation.

Well, at that point in time, we were writing the script to send out, and so you could also say that the stories, drama, characters, and so forth that we’d thought of during previous meetings were starting to lose consistency at the time that that script finished.

We have to fix those so that they line up, so. I’m unifying it, so it’s becoming uniform, though. I help with the drama parts and so forth.

Interviewer: Who worked on episode 24?

Anno: A person named Satsukawa (Akio)-san did that. Satsukawa-san is better at—this is bad to say, but—he’s right on the mark when it comes to homoeroticism. *laugh*

{...}

Interviewer: Did you stop Satsukawa-san when it looked like he was going to go berserk, Director Anno?

Anno: No, nothing like that. Satsukawa-san’s atmosphere remains in the script.

Finally, there's the... bizarrely?? named?? Evangelion anthology In 1997, KAWORU NAGISA was lost beforehand in End of Evangelion that explicitly refers to Kaworu as a 'lover' for Shinji.

Quote:
Who can foresee the future and guess that they can meet again at this moment?
The moment Human Instrumentality Project began, Kaworu’s form appeared in front of him again.
But, is this still the same “him”——
"You have been there all along?"
The question melted in the air. He whispers to Kaworu, facing the lover that he is about to lose.

Translation source. You can check their links page to see that OP is indeed a pretty passionate translator forEvangelion.

I have no doubt that you or some other Opinionated Chap is going to look at this post and dismiss it because YOu'Re JuST a BuTThurT ShiPpEr, but again: whatever my feelings are or aren't about Kaworu and Shinji, there's no shortage of actual literal canon evidence including words right from Anno's mouth that the two are intended to have romantic tension.

Of course, I don't think this is going to convince you since you're determined enough about this to have extended your campaign to Wikipedia as well, but if you're going to ask me to put my money where my mouth is, you can bet I'm going to do it.
FelipeFR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I ask you to look closer at the sources. It would also be nice if you looked at the responses from the EvaGeeks thread you are quoting this from, which dwelve into the problem with this approach. Thank you for at least you are not using spin-off material as source, as if there wasn't also a wealth of material for Asuka/Shinji, Rei/Shinji or even Rei/Kaworu and Shinji/Misato.

The problem with most of this is the fact that "official canon sources" such as these are... quite simply more often than not not written by Anno or anyone else at Gainax, at all.

For instance, the Schizo/Parano source is not at all by Anno, but rather a note in a character guide written by one of the interviewers, according to the same person who translated the vast majority of the book here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/637739/Books-Shizo-Parano/#637739

Anno, despite commenting on Satsukawa being good at homoeroticism, also makes it abundantly clear how it was not what he originally intended so much as something present largely at Satsukawa's proposal (remember, Kaworu was originally going to be a small child possesed by a cat! https://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Proposal#Apostolos), even if it influenced the later episode, as any contributions by his many scriptwriters would. It would not be the first instance this happened, like, say with Yamashita wanting Asuka to become a werewolf. For instance, he moved the cello and kiss scene to another Satsukawa episode, Episode 15, but in this case Shinji is kissed by Asuka. Or other further alterations, like him choosing not to expand on their relationship in the DCs, but then greatly expanding Asuka's feelings for Shinji in Ep 22 DC. He even explicitly defends just how casual and neutral public baths are, because, by *themselves* they are quite neutral social occurrences. From the same JUNE interview:

Quote:
as might be expected, this was what you’d call above my tolerance level. *laughs*

Anno: That’s right. It’s not that Shinji-kun was particularly inclined toward carnal desires there, you see.*laughs*

It’s normal to have two people be naked together in the bath, after all.

Anno: Around the time when you’re a middle school student, you often go with friends to public bath-houses and stuff, right? On the way home from school and so forth. Also, going there right after you go play at the beach, just as you are. There are more public baths in the boonies, you see. So it almost feels like a watering hole for men. Well, people don’t go washing each other’s backs or any skinship things like that. In any case, it’s a sort of place that you can all go to together, play there, and head home. It had a little bit more sanitary of an image, though.*laughs*

Anno: Well, when it comes to male baths, it’s a world that you can’t peek into, after all. It might have the atmosphere of a forbidden territory. But, no matter how you look at it, it’s a public bath.*laughs*

Quote:
Satsukawa-san’s original script had more of that sort of meaning and was JUNE-like.

Implying, the final one doesn't.

Kaworu's homoeroticism, while I believe it was invoked because of the way it could play with the audience's expectations (exactly like Rei), also seems to have been largely a surprise to the actual staffers:

Quote:
H: Why hand-holding though?
M: Because thats what the script said.
H: (flips to the relevant page of the script) it says “touched his hand”. Isn’t it touched, but you drew “hold” (laughs).
M: Because thats what the artist drew and I wasn’t really too concerned and ok-ed it. (laughs) there was basically no time

Quote:

I: But it caused female audiences in front of their televisions to shriek with joy.
M: We never thought it will turn out like that.
T: Was it not planned?
M: We really only realised it afterwards and never thought of much at that time, after all we were going berserk

Or Sadamoto here, in the same interview in which he also explains that Kaworu and Shinji's relationship in the manga was also not written as romantic, also explaining how Satsukawa injects his own ideas into it. Were those completely dropped? No, but as they were submitted to Anno, he ended up rejecting it.

Quote:
The conclusion is that it probably was Akio Satsukawa. Nagisa can also be read as Messenger, perhaps he came up with the name when he was writing the script. We all think it fits Akio’s taste. What struck me most was how Akio expanded the world, he made Kaworu a JUNE character……Or I should say a male/male tanbi(“aesthetic”) romances character that went berserk. The first script had more sparks: Kaworu and Shinji swim naked in the river under the setting sun——I hear that they really considered make this kind of scene at the moment.
——Is this what they called the dreamy first script?
Yes, Yes. In the end, Anno changed it to the bath scene. Anno took Akio’s idea into a very unique perspective, which end with this Kaworu who give you a decadent feeling, in my option. There is one thing that doesn’t need to cover up: they wrote EVA’s script as long as possible. In other words, the script they gave Anno had two Eps length, then Anno modified it into a story. So I think he probably cut off a lot of Kaworu’s story.

To say nothing of the staff complete surprise at Kaworu being interpreted sexually, or their protests at Satsukawa's wild ideas:

Quote:
M: That interview in which he pushes all responsibility to Satsukawa is interesting. But when we came up with the original idea, did it start out as such? H: eh? M: Not that level of homo, did Satsukawa up it? H: His descriptions are def top-notch. [Indicating, he is a good writer] M: In JUNE it shows that the scripts originally had skinny dipping, musical duets and stuff (laughs) A: Skinny dipping?! M: Yeah, completely naked. I didn’t want to draw that, like to a “If thats how it is I’ll quit” extent. A: Isn’t that basically porn? M: So when I stated we must change it, it became Anno’s expert bathing. A: His favourite public baths. H: Why hand-holding though? M: Because thats what the script said. H: (flips to the relevant page of the script) it says “touched his hand”. Isn’t it touched, but you drew “hold” (laughs). M: Because thats what the artist drew and I wasn’t really too concerned and ok-ed it. (laughs) there was basically no time. - NGE Storyboards Collection, Vol.3-4

Quote:
I: But it caused female audiences in front of their televisions to shriek with joy. M: We never thought it will turn out like that. T: Was it not planned? M: We really only realised it afterwards and never thought of much at that time, after all we were going berserk. - Shizo/Parano interview "judging Hideaki Anno in his absence"

Your point about the filmbook is completely invalid, because it's actually a Chinese translation, not Japanese. I hope you realize Chinese and Japanese share kanji, but Chinese doesn't have the more casual one, that is, in the Japanese script, subtitles, storyboards and other sources, Kaworu always uses "会う", which in fact makes it even more casual. This is just like people complaining about a completely inexistent "worthy of love" line because an ancient fansubber mistranslated the line and some people think it's official, despite being completely absent from any of the four licenced English subs.

As for your other sources, that is not even the name of the source. That is part of a Kaworu fan book, of which the only minimally sanctioned statement is the Sadamoto
interview from above. This is a book that is 80% composed of collected yaoi doujins and reprinted manga-chapters and art from over the years. Most of the rest is a bunch of really weird statements about how awesome Kaworu is, fan letters about how Kaworu is, altered EoE lines, etc. The part you linked is a fan poem, IIRC.

It also has this bit, for instance, a contradiction:

Quote:
Q19
What did Kaworu want Shinji to call him?
a)lover
b)friend
c)family
d)’my wife’ (note they used “ore no yome” which is a how japanese equivalent of “mai waifu”)

https://evaresources.wordpress.com/other/all-about-kaworu/

I know the original JUNE Interview translator was apparently not interested in translating the latter half of the interview that did not mention it at all, but it has some interesting bits, like Anno being influenced by a doujin into adding more material into the mind rape sequence in Ep 22. Unlike the doujin, though, he made it far more about Shinji:> https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17938/Nobi-Nobita-Bridal-Veil-Ep-22-DC-Source

Supplemental material such as this is extremely inconsistent, even within themselves, and other contradicted by other material. The level of oversight they have from Gainax/Khara is generally unknown and likely minimal, since usually these are released by outsourced people. This is a problem that any fan familiar with pretty much any anime or film or series can find. Most supplemental material, in fact, either does not mention Kaworu, or put him in the same level as Rei. Say, the Evangelion Chronicle Encyclopedia here, which has its own character guide putting Kaworu and Rei on the same "favourable feelings level" but giving Asuka "complicated feelings" and "love and hate": https://imgur.com/a/WJmYdG4, or the Trade Cards here: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion:_The_Card_Game

Finally, I think it is a shame you have to resort to obscure pieces of Japanese text in order to prop up a particular interpretation, instead, of primarily, the show itself, as it should be done. Anno has, repeatedly, over and over again defended the show is open-ended and that he is never going to offer clear explanations. You are entitled to your own interpretation, but the show is deliberately written not to give any specific answer.

http://cjas.org/~echen/articles/spring97/05_03b.html

Quote:
"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers."

And Kanemitsu, who has been with Gainax since before Eva even existed, also gave us another excerpt from Schizo/Parano:

Quote:
Anno: [Eva is a work] where the remaining process [of completing the work] is in the hands of the audience. I place strong emphasis in that relationship. After you get to a certain point, I want them to make their own judgment. There are portions where things are left ambiguous, so it all depends on how you view [and judge it for yourself.] I think the character of the person [e.g. a personality] reveals itself in that process. [Eva is a work] where if ten people watch it, not all of the ten will [compliment] it. In that sense, it’s very Japanese.

Last edited by FelipeFR on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
FelipeFR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN still blocking me, must be because of the URLs. But...

(the dictionary page also listens examples in casual contexts using the same term)

This is also pretty much how localizations are handled, except that for the new English translation we have increasing amounts of evidence that Khara have overseen the new localization much, much closer than they ever did with any ADV release. This recent article here also deals with that: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2019-06-26/.148199
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for completely proving my expectations for your response correct, bud! Now I know you're not particularly interested in a good-faith debate I can disengage, guilt-free.
FelipeFR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

Respectfully, I have pointed out why the evidence you've brought up is either invalid (like not coming from Anno or an authoritative source at all) or doesn't at all say what you think it said. If you disagree, that is fine, but I'd rather you pointed out why you disagree and not re-use the 2014 Evageeks thread.

Last edited by FelipeFR on Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok you're both done. You're both being rude at this point. Time to move on and stop turning the discussion into your own personal argument session.
ronri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
I really don't get why translating it as "like" is such a problem. Not only is it more accurate to the intended ambiguous nature of Anno's narrative, it's also more honest in translating the actual phrasing in Japanese (as outlined by the author of the article). Not to mention, saying that you "like" someone still has heavy romantic connotations in English contrary to what some here seem to imply. Hell a lot of highschoolers use the word when confessing their love to someone.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I think the root of the problem isn't so much that "like" shouldn't be used--it's that this whole translation, top-to-bottom, doesn't feel like an English translation for an English speaking audience. Rather, it's an English translation for a *Japanese* English-speaking audience. As detailed previously, the way "like" is being used in the two languages has different connotations; in English, it's to save face in case of possible rejection, whereas in Japanese, it's because it's considered too bold and direct to say "love", but in a way that seems to indicate impropriety rather than embarrassment. But the Japanese equivalent is "like", so that's what the translator stuck to, context and audience be damned. (See also the previous discussion about the use of "leftist" for "sect" and what that means to an English speaker vs. a Japanese speaker.)

As for the Shinji x Asuka lines, I do think the sub translation is maybe trying to do a couple of things at once and not really succeeding at any of it. If the intent of "Please, help me! You're the only one for me" is to showcase how Shinji is using is sexual feelings for Asuka as an emotional crutch, I think a better translation would actually be "Please love me, you're the only one who can" which better demonstrates Shinji's codepency on external validation. But if you wanted to excise the romantic connotations but keep the codepency aspect, "Please help me, you're the only one who can" would work just as well. I think what they ultimately went with is trying to do too much with too brief a bit of dialogue and just kind of stiicks out as being weirdly romantic in a scene that doesn't at all fit that kind of atmosphere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5