Forum - View topic
The List - Summer 2019's 6 Most Appealing Isekai Parties


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 50
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
For what i hope is the last time: DANMACHI is not an Isekai!!!, geeeez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2404
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So cop craft sound at least a tiny bit interesting, but I really hope:

Quote:
MAGIC CRIME, MAGIC DRUGS, and MAGIC PROSTITUTES


Doesn't come from the official description because if so I already lost all interest. Also right now I'm remembering magical barista and that was a dumpster fire too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1907
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
For what i hope is the last time: DANMACHI is not an Isekai!!!, geeeez


Didn't you know? "Fantasy" is now just called "native isekai"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thespacemaster



Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 588
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
seriously?

Danmach is not an isekai. It does not qualify are any members from another world? No.
Ann u really got to stop misinform people. It qualifies as an mmo fantasy but no way it is an isekai. Look up to meaning of the term and come back with an accurate list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KutovoiAnton



Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 620
Location: Vladimir, Russia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess next time Berserk, Slayers and Arslan Senki are going to be in the Isekai list Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drifter24



Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
When did Danmachi become an isekai?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Siegfriedl88



Joined: 22 Jun 2017
Posts: 215
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
seriously?

Danmach is not an isekai. It does not qualify are any members from another world? No.
Ann u really got to stop misinform people. It qualifies as an mmo fantasy but no way it is an isekai. Look up to meaning of the term and come back with an accurate list.


sounds about right
Quote:
Isekai (Japanese: 異世界, transl. "different world") is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy light novels, manga, anime, and video games revolving around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or trapped in a parallel universe.

despite the comparisons with log horizon,sao,grimgar..etc its their world, they weren't transported there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1179
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks for the "heads-up" because I didn't know about most of these and they are all a HARD PASS except for Danmachi2 which I have been waiting for for so long. Since when has just being set in another world qualify something as isakai?? For that matter, does being set in a world unlike modern Japan qualify by extension because if it did, about 90% of all anime would be "isakai"...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8235
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The title of this List seems like oddly false advertising. The List is usually a selection from a host of series that fit the topic. This is the entire group, i.e., all 6 (5, since Danmachi doesn't count) of the isekai series that will debut this summer. And since not all of the 6 (5) were even recommended, how are they the 6 (5) Most Appealing? It's like making a List of the 6 Best Adaptations of Tolkien Novels Directed by Peter Jackson.

As for the series, Arifueta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou sounds like a direct ripoff of Shield Hero, except set in a classroom for added boredom, with a whiff of Abyss for spice. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OrdepNM



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
While Danmachi isn't an isekai by the very definition of the genre, it functions virtually the same way as 99% of the isekai out there because let's face it, in all but a few of them, the original world the MC is from stops being a factor in the story right at the prologue, past that point it's just a fantasy or game world story.

Like, Re:Zero had the stuff with the cellphone and in S2, Subaru's life back in Japan will be touched upon and be relevant, while in Shield Hero there's seems to be some hints about the events in that world affecting the "real" world, but as far as I can think of that's about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 50
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
While Danmachi isn't an isekai by the very definition of the genre, it functions virtually the same way as 99% of the isekai out there because let's face it, in all but a few of them, the original world the MC is from stops being a factor in the story right at the prologue, past that point it's just a fantasy or game world story.


By your on logic then it should be isekais that shoud become just fantasy. The one thing that all isekai have in commom, i.e., getting transported to another world is what makes them isekai, not their setting. Youjo senki takes place in a war setting not fantasy but it is still an isekai. No matter how many similarities Danmachi has with isekai, so long as no one is trasnported to another world it is not an isekai.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1059
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The wine mom's ultimate attack is asking to see the manager.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OrdepNM



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

By your on logic then it should be isekais that shoud become just fantasy. The one thing that all isekai have in commom, i.e., getting transported to another world is what makes them isekai, not their setting. Youjo senki takes place in a war setting not fantasy but it is still an isekai. No matter how many similarities Danmachi has with isekai, so long as no one is trasnported to another world it is not an isekai.


Actually my point is that most isekai out there fail so bad at being isekai that to drive a wedge between isekais-by-definition and game-world fantasy shows like Danmachi, sounds almost like spliting hairs. Those shows are very easily comparable.

But to your point, I would still say "being transported to another world", while correct from an etymological point, is still too broad for what people usually consider to be an isekai. Angel Beats! fits the bill to a T, but to go and lump it with the wave of isekais that spawned from the success of SAO sounds... disingenuous. Ditto for Digimon. At least I would clarify that an isekai involves the protagonist being transported to a fantasy D&D-esque type of world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 50
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

By your on logic then it should be isekais that shoud become just fantasy. The one thing that all isekai have in commom, i.e., getting transported to another world is what makes them isekai, not their setting. Youjo senki takes place in a war setting not fantasy but it is still an isekai. No matter how many similarities Danmachi has with isekai, so long as no one is trasnported to another world it is not an isekai.


Actually my point is that most isekai out there fail so bad at being isekai that to drive a wedge between isekais-by-definition and game-world fantasy shows like Danmachi, sounds almost like spliting hairs. Those shows are very easily comparable.



Fair point. My issue however is that "game-world fantasy" is actually a genre of its own called LitRPG and it is very poorly represented in anime. Danmachi is the only non-isekai litRPG (that i know off) so seeing it get lumped in with isekais is frustrating. Kind of like seeing Kaguya-sama get called a harem just because its a romcom in a school setting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OrdepNM



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Fair point. My issue however is that "game-world fantasy" is actually a genre of its own called LitRPG and it is very poorly represented in anime. Danmachi is the only non-isekai litRPG (that i know off) so seeing it get lumped in with isekais is frustrating. Kind of like seeing Kaguya-sama get called a harem just because its a romcom in a school setting


I didn't watch much of it but I think Granblue might fit the bill? I do recall them being more common when I was a kid but these days Danmachi does sound like the product of a bygone era.

The reason no one calls Kaguya-sama an harem anime is, like you alluded to, that there's plenty of romcom anime and plenty of harem anime out there, and anyone with eyes can tell in which side of the spectrum Kaguya-sama is. I get that Danmachi is its particular thing, but when you're in such a narrow category, it's only natural to end up lumping it with the closest fit, otherwise you end up with the heavy metal sub-(sub-sub) genres situation, where you got absurd genres like "progressive alien deathcore" or "samurai melodic death metal" with something like a single band in it.

I do understand where you're coming from and fwiw I do agree Danmachi isn't an isekai, but do to how functionally similar it is to the other isekai out there, I still concede it is a fair show to bring up when discussing or comparing isekais.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group