• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Anyone else getting a deadlink to the Are You Lost Preview?

I haven't, the page quietly opened in a couple of hours.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
From the description I was thinking are you lost was going to be a lord of the fly situation... I guess I couldn't be more wrong Anime hyper.

You weren't entirely wrong. Homare could be given the title "Lord of the Flies" after one certain scene in that episode. Wink

Hearing that about an ecchi anime... hard pass!

Although it sounds like astra lost in space will be a lord of the flies situation go figure. I quite liked infinite ryvius but though the giant robot aspect just detracted from the story, hopefully astra won't have anything like that.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The girls who survive style of bear grylls at least if it serves in reality, it hurts that when the boys show up they will lose all my interest.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
meiam wrote:
Scared beast just sound like fairy gone if anything...

reverse....Sacred Beasts was released about five years ago.

With this first episode the anime really dropped the ball,adaption wise.
Instead of following the manga's first chapter,the anime dumped(and poorly so) a lot of exposition that the manga doles out via flashbacks.

There's a chance that with the next two episodes this adaption of To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts gets it's act together/align itself to the manga.

But this is not ever going to be in the same league as Attack on Titan-There's no resemblance,more akin to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.

Yeah, I liked the first minutes with the war scene but then it was not really good.
I guess I'll reboot my brain and pretend that next week episode is the first episode.

Kanata no Astra had an awesome start. Can't wait to see more of it, even though the characters are some kind of stereotypes. I hope they'll be developed in the next episodes.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, wow and wow - the first episode of Astra was really impressive, or rather I should say the first double episode. I didn't realize until the 39th minute when I checked how much time was left. The scenario brings to mind Heinlein's youth novels, particularly Tunnel in the Sky - although its been a long time ago since I read it. The voice cast is fantastic, especially the lead role (at least in this episode) of Aries by Inori Minase. Usually I am pretty liberal with suspension of disbelief - although the minor plot point of 'who had the emergency communicator', 'I did but I think I lost it' - was a little annoying (as I would assume that would of been standard issue to each student and integrated into the space suit.) Animation, background detail, character design is all top notch. From what I hear the story is fantastic - I will be looking forward to this each week.

Just finished How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?, and it comes across as a relatively inoffensive, and lightweight vehicle - which could have gone so many ways wrong given the premise. A decent start and looks only to get better when they start adding characters over the next episodes - hopefully it doesn't wait too wait long to introduce all the characters unlike some recent ones like Hitoribocchi, Cinderella Nine, and We Never Learn which introduced some of the best characters seven or eight episodes into the series.

Last edited by joeydoa on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was interested in Sacred Beasts first few manga volumes, but it started to seem like spoiler[ The only solution for soldiers with super-PTSD was to kill them, in order to “take them out of their misery”. As a real life mental health advocate, it got depressing.]. I’d love to know if the manga does something different later on (I think I read until vol 7 or 8), but I’ll pass on the anime.

I bought the first seven volumes, but cancelled all my preorders for everything after the spoiler[Robin]/spoiler[Doppelganger] arc because the stuff you mention in your spoiler tags finally became too repetitive for me, so I'd also like to know if things change later on.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I was interested in Sacred Beasts first few manga volumes, but it started to seem like spoiler[ The only solution for soldiers with super-PTSD was to kill them, in order to “take them out of their misery”. As a real life mental health advocate, it got depressing.]. I’d love to know if the manga does something different later on (I think I read until vol 7 or 8), but I’ll pass on the anime.

I bought the first seven volumes, but cancelled all my preorders for everything after the spoiler[Robin]/spoiler[Doppelganger] arc because the stuff you mention in your spoiler tags finally became too repetitive for me, so I'd also like to know if things change later on.

The arc you mention was volume 6 I believe,but you have vol 7...So you've only missed some 15 chapters. A large chunk of those deal with Elaine,Hank & Cain's backstory and the creation of the Beasts.

(Last chapter I've read (ch 51) was headed to the conclusion(ch 52) of the current monster hunt.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The arc you mention was volume 6 I believe,but you have vol 7...

Yeah, unfortunately manga reading was one of the things that fell by the wayside back when I was in the final months of my doctoral dissertation, and towards the end I started receiving packages of stuff I had preordered during RightStuf sales that I was still 1-2 volumes behind on. Sad Later on, when I got to the end of the arc in question, I stopped reading, and figured I'd stop preordering the series until I heard how the next few volumes were going.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
Wow, wow and wow - the first episode of Astra was really impressive, or rather I should say the first double episode. I didn't realize until the 39th minute when I checked how much time was left. The scenario brings to mind Heinlein's youth novels, particularly Tunnel in the Sky - although its been a long time ago since I read it. The voice cast is fantastic, especially the lead role (at least in this episode) of Aries by Inori Minase. Usually I am pretty liberal with suspension of disbelief - although the minor plot point of 'who had the emergency communicator', 'I did but I think I lost it' - was a little annoying but since they are thousands of light years away, it wouldn't matter anyway, so why even bring it up. Animation, background detail, character design is all top notch. From what I hear the story is fantastic - I will be looking forward to this each week.

I didn’t even realize it was longer than a standard episode length after watching it until I read your post just now (and then verified the length on Funi). I dare say that bodes well for the series.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm 0-for-2 this season. Beasts was horribly written, and Astra seems like a collection of anime cliches in a spaceship. Hope Vinland Saga is worth watching. In the meantime I'll return to re-watching Kitarou.
zenbud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
Maybe Nick Creamer would know more about good Isekai if he was like Rebecca and made reviews about light novels. Otherwise, those complaints will be on this limited space that is anime when you have so many selected works from thousands that exist on the market.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Sacred Beasts Well it had a somewhat of a decent start but i don't think it would be anything major from what i have seen. The Animation is alright, the story is a little typical and the characthers some of them come with a little blend and seem out of place. I give it a 7/10]

Maou-Sama Retry As someone who read the manga adaptation(this from a LN) i knew it was never going to be something spectacular or mind blowing, it has a lot of the sterotypical cliches you would find in other isekai, however what i like about is that it still has some sense awareness of it's fault and the Father/Daughter dynamic gives it a bit of charm, however the animation for this is quite low and even if this is the studio's second production a little more effort in animation would of been nice i give it a a8/10 (biased) in actual criticism i would give it a 6.5/10

Astra Lost in Space Now this show has had the best premiere out of the ones i have seen yet. In era were sci fi space adventure shows are almost none existant these days, it is nice to get something refreshing and pulls you into it. Most of the characters are your cliche types but the chemistry between balance each other out, the mystery and the excitement for adventure pulls you in and the animation is of significantly decent budget. im definitely looking forward to what comes next, ( Manga readers seemed to love it so i hope it lives up to it) i give it a solid 8/10
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The idea that Hibiki needs to lose weight so that she'll be able to get a boyfriend (per her awful friend) is not a good one, and that her friend continually nags her about her weight and eating habits says to me that she needs to lose the friend before she decides about the weight.

There are some obvious cultural differences here. In western countries it is a taboo to comment on your friends weight and eating habits, but in Japan it is completely normal. You can make arguments on both sides on which is better.

Also the girl is not overweight yet, but body fat of over 30% is definitely entering into unhealthy territory and it is better to start early rather than wait to get obese before starting to worry about your health. The show is also not pushing some questionable fashion diet but rather going to gym and working out, which can make anyone healthier and better.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
Quote:
The idea that Hibiki needs to lose weight so that she'll be able to get a boyfriend (per her awful friend) is not a good one, and that her friend continually nags her about her weight and eating habits says to me that she needs to lose the friend before she decides about the weight.

There are some obvious cultural differences here. In western countries it is a taboo to comment on your friends weight and eating habits, but in Japan it is completely normal. You can make arguments on both sides on which is better.

Also the girl is not overweight yet, but body fat of over 30% is definitely entering into unhealthy territory and it is better to start early rather than wait to get obese before starting to worry about your health. The show is also not pushing some questionable fashion diet but rather going to gym and working out, which can make anyone healthier and better.

It is also noteworthy that although the show supports the problematic stereotype of a woman involved in sports as a hot model without any hint of musculature, the author is not afraid to show that it is normal to be a woman with a physically developed body, if you like it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
So far I'm 0-for-2 this season. Beasts was horribly written, and Astra seems like a collection of anime cliches in a spaceship. Hope Vinland Saga is worth watching. In the meantime I'll return to re-watching Kitarou.

Astra is also an isekai so I won't watch it on principle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20