• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shyamalan Signs up for Avatar Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, this will probably be the first movie that M. Night directs that won't be filmed in Philly. Too bad, as someone from Philly, I love that M. Night chooses to stay home and film his movies here. I think M. Night has an amazing vision, that gets a little muddle on occasion, but all his movies have been beautifully made, even though I don't care for all of them. Unbreakable was his best film by far.

Not sure if Avatar will translate well into live action, but it's nice to see that they chose someone who has a creative vision. I hope it turns out well.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Ugh...

I can imagine the twist.. THE AIR BENDS ITSELF!! *gasp*
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Shyamalan, eh? Interesting. I've only seen two of his movies, and both of them were good, but I'm not sure if he could pull off a live action Avatar. It doesn't seem to fit his style of storytelling, in my opinion. Plus, I think it would be difficult to pull off all of the action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
In the words of the great Chris Tucker:
Chris Tucker wrote:
Aw, Hell NO...

I'd rather have Ang Lee or Uwe Bol than this guy. But seriously...Peter Jackson FTW!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
Chris Tucker wrote:
Aw, Hell NO...

I'd rather have Ang Lee or Uwe Bol than this guy. But seriously...Peter Jackson FTW!

Uwe Boll? Are you serious?
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hmmm ... interesting how everyone makes fun of him for his "twists", when the biggest complaint everyone had about The Village was it didn't have one. Must be a real pain in the ass trying to please everyone. I like his movies, despite the fact that it's become the popular thing not to like him.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:

I don't think you understand the gravity of what you are saying!!!

Anyway, Peter Jackson actually wouldn't get my vote on this one. Aside from the fact that I want him to do the hobbit more than anything else, his style wouldn't fit Avatar all that well.

But what about Jim Henson? Eh? Eh? Cool
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Delete. UGH.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
Chris Tucker wrote:
Aw, Hell NO...

How can you even mention Ang Lee in the same sentence as that abomination? Lee's a great director.

Anyhow, I agree with Spoofer that this really has nothing to do with anime, but whatever. Well, my little sister likes the show...
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen much of Avatar, but I've heard nothing but praise for it. I hope this adaptation goes well.

Quote:
One small step for man, one giant leap for Eva/Battle Angel/all other liscened anime maybe?

Well... anime isn't really a genre so much as a medium, so the only anime which would benefit from this would be shows similar to Avatar's genre. For Eva, a lot of its chances are probably riding on the success of Transformers.
Jetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
I guess i should clarify. (i thought "but seriously" after said sentence would prove that I was joking around, but apparently not...)

I think Shamalamadingdong has about as much business directing this as Uwe Boll. Ang...Hulk...nuff said. I hate them all.

PJ means weta digital. That's really all I care about. I can imagine them bringing Avatar up to the epic scale of LotR. Its a great cartoon and would actually make a badass movie trilogy in the hands of the right people.

But maybe ol' shamy will surprise me...I hope... Crying or Very sad
intrance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
he should not be allowed near anything like that...all i can say is "what a twist!"
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
Chris Tucker wrote:
Aw, Hell NO...

perfect wording.

the chances of the success of Transformers are very slim, but there have been surprises before. look at Napoleon Dynamite, that became a HUGE hit. and if this does....*funeral bells* goodbye anime as we know it. Anime cry

this is why many things dont work out in the US, because they get blown up and butchered. as said before, this could be the beginning of a very dark period of hell for fans. and before its done, a lot of us will quit, depending on the level of it all.[/quote]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I think you might be overreacting just a tad, I don't think M.Knight and the Transformers movies are going bring about an era of newly butchered anime. I'd be more worried about all the Japanese outsourcing in another recent thread than this, especially since Avatar really isn't anime technically, despite similarities.

Adaptations exist, and will continue to exist. What about all the novels adapted in to anime? Nobody is complaining about those are declaring it a dark period for those fans. Of course, in that case as anime fans we're the ones the change caters to so of course we like it, but those who don't appreciate the changes and animeization would look at it the same way you look at these adaptations.

Many things do work in the US, maybe not for you, but there's a huge audience out there that likes that style the same way you like anime, it's just a different perspective and preference. They don't make them the way they do because no one will see it, and I think you underestimate Transformers chances. Either way, success of adaptations is not going to ruin anime and bring about the fall of the fandom as we know it, adaptations have existed on both sides for years and will continue too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was an April Fool's joke until I remembered it's still January. Bizarre combination, M. Night and Avatar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5