• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shyamalan Signs up for Avatar Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
I guess i should clarify. (i thought "but seriously" after said sentence would prove that I was joking around, but apparently not...)

I think Shamalamadingdong has about as much business directing this as Uwe Boll. Ang...Hulk...nuff said. I hate them all.:

What I meant is that I don't see how you can put Lee in the same class as Boll. Even if The Hulk was a flop, Lee's body of work is amazing.
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
And there will be scrunts and narfs in Avatar now.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:

OK, that was just stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
smoochy wrote:

OK, that was just stupid.

I was actually pretty proud of it.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah this made me decided to spam people on my Livejournal as I proceeded to laugh my butt off then appologize to the Avatar fan community because I actually pity them now.

...I wouldn't wish this fate on anyone's fandom.

I mean, honestly, I would like the guy's work if he would learn the difference between a plot twist that actually furthers the plot and a plot twist that changes the complete plot into something unbelievable.

Like when I get out of my car and see a kitten and joke about it getting hit by a meteor... more likely a 'twist' would it being hit by a car. I'm sure he'd make it get hit by a meteor though... no real reason other than NOONE WOULD EXPECT IT. But they wouldn't expect it for good reason IT MAKES NO SENSE.

*Head/desk*

Don't mind me... I'm just... it hurts my brain some.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess it really is cool to dis directors who don't do spectacularly popular movies. Strange to see such an attitude coming from fans of anime, something which suffers the same fate every day at the hands of ignorant people.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, let's all race to see who can make the most obvious, obnoxious, completely played-out "TWIST AT THE END HA HA" joke every single time M Night Shyamalan's name is mentioned!

What was that? M Night Shyamalan? TWIST END HA HA I am a comedy genius!

Sigh.

In spite of his unfortunate reputation, Shyamalan is an immensely gifted filmmaker. The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are masterful compositions; his most recent film was unfortunate, but it was also humbling in its failure and I doubt the man will make those mistakes again.

What annoys me so much is that the audience for his films - which is massive, given how much cash both The Sixth Sense and Signs brought in - seems to focus on figuring out what the "twist" is so they can shout at the heavens that they're "smarter" than the film. What's even more irritating about this is that his films haven't really even had "twist" endings; Signs didn't, neither did Lady in the Water, and the storyline in The Village pointed to the obvious. And yet people still prattle on and on and on about the twist endings. The people who do this are far more irritating than anything in any of his films.

I'm not sure about the source material here - I've never watched the show - but I'm sure Shyamalan will make a decent movie.

TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Like when I get out of my car and see a kitten and joke about it getting hit by a meteor... more likely a 'twist' would it being hit by a car. I'm sure he'd make it get hit by a meteor though... no real reason other than NOONE WOULD EXPECT IT. But they wouldn't expect it for good reason IT MAKES NO SENSE.

*Head/desk*

Don't mind me... I'm just... it hurts my brain some.

This is amazing - none of his films do that at all. Your allegory is completely wrong.

And yet you present this like it's a valid criticism. Have you even seen any of his films? What in the world are you even talking about?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like M. Night. The Village was a great movie, I thought, and I also really liked Signs (I haven't seen Sixth Sense yet). I have no idea about Lady in the Water, I haven't seen it, but even if it WAS bad, every artist--actor, director, painter, novelist, whatever--is quite likely to have at least one work that isn't good, or even sucks.

That being said, I REALLY have a hard time imagining M. Night's style of film making with Avatar. I've seen some of the show and while I don't follow it, I do really like it, so it's quite possible that these will turn out to be good movies.

But still....Shyamalan? It IS a very weird combonation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I really think this has a chance at working, Avatar is a pretty cool show, and I think Shymalan has a decent chance at making it work. I really like his films, Signs and Unbreakable being my favorites, so I really do hope this works out.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

What annoys me so much is that the audience for his films - which is massive, given how much cash both The Sixth Sense and Signs brought in - seems to focus on figuring out what the "twist" is so they can shout at the heavens that they're "smarter" than the film. What's even more irritating about this is that his films haven't really even had "twist" endings; Signs didn't, neither did Lady in the Water, and the storyline in The Village pointed to the obvious. And yet people still prattle on and on and on about the twist endings. The people who do this are far more irritating than anything in any of his films.

Signs and Lady in the Water diddn't have any big story twists, but they did, in the very same style, reveal why some of the really weird stuff that happened in the story happened, for example, in signs, when all of this stuff people did that we couldn't figure out why, ended up being god's way of saving them from the alien, or in Lady in the Water, when we find out that the guy who only works out one arm is the gaurdian, and what roles everyone else plays. I diddn't think that The Village was all that obvious, but I can see why someone could easaly predict it.

I don't really have a problem with his story twists because that is the kind of story I like anyways. I really love all of Shamylan's films, including Lady in the Water, which I thought was by far his worst, but I still liked it. I'm not so sure if I can see him doing Avatar, because it is not his style. I do, however, think that he will still do a good job of making it. Avatar dosen't have any twists, but it dosesn't need to for Shamylan to do a good job with it.

As for Avatar itself, I don't watch it as much as I would like to even though this is the type of show I would normally get obsessed over, but from what I've seen, it is a very good one, and I think it will make a very good movie.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

Well... anime isn't really a genre so much as a medium, so the only anime which would benefit from this would be shows similar to Avatar's genre. For Eva, a lot of its chances are probably riding on the success of Transformers.

I hope so, because then we might see more good shonen live action movies like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, Fullmetal Alchemist, ect. It might not happen, but It's just that I am a HUGE fan of shonen, those ones in particular, and would love to see a live action move! They would, I think, do really well considering their popularity.
SomeVito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This whole idea just seems really bad to me. Where as most people seem to be focusing on the M Night Shyamalan aspect, I see the live action aspect as the really bad part. I just cannot for the life of me see some of these Avatar characters cast and seeing these people on screen in costume not looking goofy. There’s also the fact that the characters in the movie will have different voices from the cartoon, and since the show is still fresh and probably will be when the movie comes out I think there may be trouble there.

On the subject of M Night Shyamalan, I don’t know if he will do a good job or not, but I know I would have felt much better if the movie had a director that has done more actiony movies and has had a lot of experience with wire-fu type films. Personally I think some one like Zhang Yimou (Hero and House of Flying Daggers) would have been a better choice, although I see it as long shot since he’s Chinese.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
6th Sense was cool, hated The Village...but I've never seen Avatar so hey, I might just go see this flik for the hell of it. Smile
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm both interested in and a little leary of these movies. I'm sure they'll fall into the same comic book movie adaptation category like X-Men, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, etc. These kinds of movies tend to be either really good or really lame. (that last X-Men movie was absolutely terrible)

I'm want to see how Shyamalan handles these movies, especially the special effects (a flying bison? How will he do it?!), the martial arts, and the whole Asian-ness of it. I think that's going to be a challenge for him, because he's never done anything like this before.

Well, there's a first time for everything, I guess. I hope they turn out well.

[quote="BleuVII"]
Jetto wrote:
But what about Jim Henson? Eh? Eh? Cool

It would be a miracle if Jim Henson could direct films from beyond the grave. Maybe then The Muppets wouldn't be owned by Disney and be whored out to whoever will pay. ex: Those god-awful Pizza Hut commercials. (Seriously, seeing any of the Muppet characters these days is like a stab to my heart.)
Ubapoopietot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
M Night Sham and Avatar....uh....i just don't know... he does have a way of actualy "creating" a place in his movies(story wise), which would be needed for Avatar. It might work. The only thing i'm really dreading is a poorly computer animated 30 foot flying bison. They better get the King Kong guys on that one. Very Happy

Last edited by Ubapoopietot on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5