• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Anti-SLAPP Motion to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
He's helped numerous people through tough times in their lives, he's given them hours of entertainment, he's stayed at conventions after hours to ensure every single person who wanted to meet him can do so, he's visited hospitals when fans write to him saying they wish they could meet him but can't, he's sacrificed tons of his time and money to help as many people as he could throughout his career. He's affected the lives of thousands of people in a positive fashion, and even if he's guilty of absolutely everything he's being accused of, that can never be erased.

Same was true of Scott Freeman, and I'm sure if Freeman had asked his fans for $200,000 to sue Funimation when they announced they had terminated their relationship with him back in 2015, his fans would have ponied up the money for him, too.

Kind of sad to think that as bad as Freeman was, at least he had the decency not to manipulate the emotions of his fans like that.

Edit: internet is being weird, and post submitted before I was done typing.
It's kind of funny here, because here in Australia former rugby union/rugby league/Aussie rules player Israel Falou started a GoFundMe after Rugby Australia tore up his contract after he posted an inflammatory and discriminatory post on Instagram. GoFundMe removed it for violating guidelines due to it being used for defending hate speech (personally I was opposed due to the guy being a multi millionaire) but the funny thing is when I first saw it and saw how many donated, my mind went straight to this situation of Vic fans being used for similar purposes.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
No police filings doesn't mean much, an awful lot of victims of harassment and sexual assault don't go to the police for a myriad of reasons.(ranging from shame and self blame to fear, to not thinking they'll be believed), and in the US with it's (often very short*) statute of limitations you can remove the ability of them to go to the police at a time when they might have summoned up the courage to do so.

Conventions are even easier to explain - it's only recently that many conventions have put in place proper policies for dealing with harassment and other issues that occur at the event, including documenting it in such a way that it is there to be referenced.
For decades it's often been something that hasn't been dealt with consistently and documented even at the good ones, at the poor ones people have been told "it happens" or similar depending on who was informed.
Then you've got the issue that if it's not documented on paper but instead relied on people remembering it you run into the problem that as the staff changes (or roles change) someone who knows about it one year may not be there the next or may be there but not the one that deals with it when the same offender strikes again.
There is also a financial incentive not to throw out a guest, and a reluctance take "drastic action", and I'm guessing many staffers at conventions wouldn't like to be the one to tell someone who is as big a name as Vic is to behave or get thrown out, because unless you personally have seen something that crosses the line so blatantly you're legally or morally obligated to do something, or you know you'll get the support in your action from the con organisers (and not just thrown to the wolves) it's hard to take real action. Unfortunately for the girls and women who are usually the victims of such creeps, that means that "big names" in any industry can often get away with an awful lot if they're so inclined and at least a little careful,
I know of a few authors who have policies regarding conventions that basically boil down to "I will not attend any convention, no matter how big, in any capacity if they don't have a clear and documented policy to deal with harassment/misconduct matters" - and they're finding conventions they can't attend even now, because those really basic, public protection policies aren't there or are not treated seriously. IIRC that came about in many instance because of behaviour from people who acted like it is widely reported Vic did (the apparent pattern of behaviour is classic).

From what I can tell Vic has a reputation via word of mouth at the conventions and a lot of staff have seen him act improperly, or at the very best non professionally, then you have dozens of fairly well documented instances of people claiming he's behaved incorrectly with them. You don't tend to get large numbers of people making credible claims, especially not people whose own careers are on the line if they're lying without something going on, even if it just turns out to be the person "misunderstanding boundaries" or whatever euphemism is being used this week to excuse it.

*I'm not sure what they are in relation to the various sexual crimes, as I know the definition of them seems to vary state to state, and some states have much shorter than others.
IIRC in the UK we effectively have no limitation on when a sexual assault or rape complaint can be made - as a bunch of 70's and 80's creeps found out after the Jimmy Saville affair brought how badly they'd often been handled by the police/companies/events to the public attention.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
It's kind of funny here, because here in Australia former rugby union/rugby league/Aussie rules player Israel Falou started a GoFundMe after Rugby Australia tore up his contract after he posted an inflammatory and discriminatory post on Instagram. GoFundMe removed it for violating guidelines due to it being used for defending hate speech (personally I was opposed due to the guy being a multi millionaire) but the funny thing is when I first saw it and saw how many donated, my mind went straight to this situation of Vic fans being used for similar purposes.

Wow the guy is a multi-millionaire yet he started a GoFundMe regardless. That is astoundingly both cheap & lazy.

Shame a lot of people supported him before it thankfully got pulled. At least when Archie Comics started a Kickstarter to pay for comics, people rightfully called them out that they should pay for their own damn comics like any other company.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
And how Funimation cites a bunch of tweets to show how Vic is a public figure, but for some reason uses a bunch of tweets that portray Vic in a positive light... right down to citing the ones of women upset their photos were being used without their consent by websites to spread lies. That seemed like an odd choice.

I don't know, it makes sense to me. He's a public figure because of his fans made him one. By sharing positive tweets it just proves that point. I agree it's a bit odd using a tweet of people being angry their pictures were used but it still helps prove he's a public figure and not just some nobody no one gives a toss about.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
This just keeps getting more and more interesting.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Maybe on Earth 2...

Bizzaro Earth Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Even if the scenario you described happens, they still showed support for an actor they admire and believe in. And if nothing else, they were able to get him his day in court, which is what this was all about in the first place. And I don't think anyone, not even Vic himself, expected the anime community to come together and raise that kind of money and support for him in a way only he's able to achieve. Other people involved in this lawsuit have tried to start their own GoFundMe in response and have only received a few thousand dollars. Even with their fellow voice actors and Twitter friends promoting them, they can't rally the same kind of support Vic's fans did all on their own. That's a very powerful testament.

It's a testament to the bizarre cult of personality that Vic has encouraged over the decades. There are far more talented people working in this industry that don't inspire anywhere near the level of histrionics that Vic does, and for good reason: they're actors, not God's gift to fandom. And no, the fact that Vic may have done nice things for people in the past does not even remotely absolve him from doing absolutely horrible things to other people. Unless you're going to take the "he made the trains run on time" defense.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
When people point out that Vic isn't on trial they seem to gloss over the fact that there isn't a single police report filing against him.

You do understand that you can be banned from a convention and fired from a job for activities that don't rise to the level of even a misdemeanor, right?

Quote:
There also isn't any report filings from conventions against him. That's what it means when people ask about the evidence.

Cons generally don't publicize disciplinary actions against attendees, especially big name ones, and even when they do, they don't necessarily release their internal documentation. However, we do have numerous reports from con workers that reports were indeed filed against Mignogna, and in several cases he was banned from cons.

And before you tell us, "That's not evidence," at least one former con worker says she's signed an affidavit about her experiences, which means it is legally admissible evidence.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Cons generally don't publicize disciplinary actions against attendees, especially big name ones, and even when they do, they don't necessarily release their internal documentation. However, we do have numerous reports from con workers that reports were indeed filed against Mignogna, and in several cases he was banned from cons.

The same person you're listening to said Vic had been banned from conventions he was later invited to a couple years later and tried to play it off as if it was because he was unbanned. Did these people ever show proof he was banned in the first place or did they just assume he was since he wasn't at the following year's convention? For all anyone knows there was a scheduling conflict and he wasn't available, or it's a convention that likes to rotate guests around and doesn't invite the same guest two or three years in a row which isn't uncommon. Working a door, checking tickets, or manning the popcorn booth doesn't make you privy to privileged chair information. Take their claims at face value.
Amibite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Same was true of Scott Freeman, and I'm sure if Freeman had asked his fans for $200,000 to sue Funimation when they announced they had terminated their relationship with him back in 2015, his fans would have ponied up the money for him, too.

Kind of sad to think that as bad as Freeman was, at least he had the decency not to manipulate the emotions of his fans like that.

You could have just posted the second part of your post which shows how you really feel because the first is just flat out untrue. Scott Freeman had maybe a dozen roles throughout his career, mostly minor ones. I've never even heard of the guy until he was arrested. Feel free to Hate Vic all you want, but trying to downplay his passion towards his fans, his popularity, or the feat of his fundraiser by saying anyone could have done what he did is just wrong.

It's more convenient for people to dismiss those supporting him as cultists or simply being manipulated because to admit they're doing this willingly and they're not being scammed or brainwashed means people will have to look in the mirror and ask themselves a very uncomfortable question: why nobody is doing this for me?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

The same person you're listening to said Vic had been banned from conventions he was later invited to a couple years later and tried to play it off as if it was because he was unbanned.

No, right from the start she called out a con that had reversed their ban. The con responded with, "New management. Who dis?" Which highlights the problem with cons -- many of them are run by amateurs and have no permanent structure or filekeeping system.

Quote:
Did these people ever show proof he was banned in the first place or did they just assume he was since he wasn't at the following year's convention?

The person in question was responsible for inviting guests to the con, so I'd think she'd know.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
And I don't think anyone, not even Vic himself, expected the anime community to come together and raise that kind of money and support for him in a way only he's able to achieve.

The anime community did nothing of the sort. It's the cultists of Vic's cult of personality that did these things. The same ones who keep coming on here and repeating the various lies and nonsense that Vic and his idiot lawyer and various even more idiotic You Tube commentators keep spreading.

R315r4z0r wrote:
The ins and outs of this whole situation are none of the public's business or concern.
Quote:
Just go, live your life and only concern yourself with matters that pertain to you and your interests. The world would end up being a much happier, less stressful and far less hateful place to live in without people constantly sticking their noses into places it doesn't belong.

The safety of the community is most certainly the public's business and concern. As a member of the community, this situation does pertain to me and my interests.

You may dismiss Vic's behavior - but nothing gives you the right to declare that the rest of us must do so.
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
More posts, and responses to them, have been removed or edited. It was made clear at the start of this thread that posts containing victim blaming, conspiracy theories, downplaying sexual assault (as in it's petty or there's no evidence) would not be tolerated.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

I don't think Vic is as rich as people think. These stories are still going but the second the Ryan Kopf story got posted, he stamps his foot and the article disappeared, despite him throwing up private pictures and recordings on his public profile. So it shows who actually has the money in this game.
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Evaunit02berserk wrote:

I don't think Vic is as rich as people think. These stories are still going but the second the Ryan Kopf story got posted, he stamps his foot and the article disappeared, despite him throwing up private pictures and recordings on his public profile. So it shows who actually has the money in this game.

Not sure what you are talking about; the article is still up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6