• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spike TV: More Afro Samurai Ratings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I kinda liked the "anime", gave me a samurai champloo feeling, not a lot of backstory but it was entertaining, is just gonna be 5 episodes so I'm gonna watch them. I hope that spyke tv gets into the anime world and shows more action anime like black lagoon and that stuff because they hade a very descent rating to be on a thursday and so late.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
1,666,000 million?! Now that's a lot of people.
Kazekun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I watched it! & Loved it!
Vash024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Mayo wrote:
To be honest I kinda liked the "anime", gave me a samurai champloo feeling, not a lot of backstory but it was entertaining, is just gonna be 5 episodes so I'm gonna watch them. I hope that spyke tv gets into the anime world and shows more action anime like black lagoon and that stuff because they hade a very descent rating to be on a thursday and so late.

I don't know if the quotes meant that you don't think that this is anime, but you do realize it was produced by GONZO, right?
strongbad123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show, even though its not the most deep anime, the character designs kinda remind me of Peter Chung's work, which I like even tho other people dont.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Vash024 wrote:
Mayo wrote:

I don't know if the quotes meant that you don't think that this is anime, but you do realize it was produced by GONZO, right?

And it's based on a Manga that's been out for years too, right? I've heard people say it's been around longer than "Samurai Champloo", so it couldn't have ripped off Champloo.

But yeah, I'd like to see SpikeTV take a chance after this and get something like "Black Lagoon", anime that would appeal to young, non-otaku'd men.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zutto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
my quetion is how do they find out about the rating?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
And it's based on a Manga that's been out for years too, right? I've heard people say it's been around longer than "Samurai Champloo", so it couldn't have ripped off Champloo.

The manga in question wasn't commercially released, it was a dojin project.

But yeah, the original concept is a couple years old.

-t
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Well I'd admit, Whoa!. That beats the pants off of any ratings [as] has ever gotten for a anime.
Why do i keep think Spike will get Ninja Scroll...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Why do i keep think Spike will get Ninja Scroll...

Because perhaps they might do that in the future in the number are right. But I don't it will happen, Ninja Scroll isn't exactly new, but had Spike been around when NS was first being released in the US, that would be the channel it would air I bet.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Sorry,If this a off topic question but why not that Afro Samurai is not listed as a OAV since it only five episode long?

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Sorry,If this a off topic question but not that Afro Samurai is not listed as a OAV since it only five episode long?

OVAs go direct to video. TV series air on TV. Length is not a defining factor, so regardless of how short it is, Afro Samurai is a TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Mayo wrote:

I'd rather see Black Lagoon on Spike than Adult Swim any day. And I knew Afro Samurai's ratings would be good. Everyone else said it bombed because it got a 0.6 but when was the last time an anime show on AS got 700,000+ viewers? Laughing
Hasukawa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I personally didn't think Afro Samurai was too bad, my only issue was the quality of the voice acting and the audio mastering. Even though the series was somewhat mouthed to coincide with english, the voice actors did a horrible job at sounding natural...I personnaly blame it on Funimation. As for Black Lagoon, I think it would be better to have it on a less censorship prone station like Spike...also it would be cool to keep all the Japanese characters (from the final story arc)speaking Japanese. Seeing as they went through the trouble of having Revy and Rock speak some english to help convey the fact that everyone else in the series doesn't speak Japanese, same with Balalaika speaking russian every so often. Lets just not let Funimation get ahold of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It was trash.. The anime it self was created for simple minded anime fans that just want to see people getting killed. Of course what else can you expect from FUNi and a combo with Spike TV.
I'm sure the show will keep decent ratings... but it's still trash.. only your basic Dumb Ass Anime Fans will watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2