• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Obtains License to Download Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
The only way i'd support such an idea....is if I get credit for the downloads applied to the purchase of the physical DVD's.

Only then will I download.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
i agree with abarenbo shogun. i wouldnt want to have to pay to download and then pay full price to buy the dvd's when they come out. anime is expensive enough already. but how much could they put the price on the download? $5.00? maybe a little less? I would definately want that credited to the purchase price of the dvd.

I have never been too hard on Viz's dubs and I've been watching dubs for years now. I like subs too. I normally watch a show both ways before I decide which I like better. But I have a really high tolerance for bad dubs because I am a B Horror Movie fan so you learn to enjoy bad acting. haha

I know Deathnote was one of the titles that was fansubbed by many different groups (I think i've watched from 4 different groups) so we will see who continues to put it out after this, or if they all will stop.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
Actually, I am really excited about this. I don't like to buy tons of DVD's, because I move at least once every six months, and having to pack up DVD cases is really a pain. Plus, the release schedule for DVDs is ridiculous, because we have to wait like, 3 months for four episodes.

I also like the idea of pay-to-rent. Most anime that I watch only gets one viewing anyway. I love video rental stores, and I think this is going to drastically increase the amount of money I spend on anime, since I only actually buy the animes that I find to be amazing (I rent the rest or watch them on TV).
imageriot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
I would really love viz to step it up, they could create an internet based anime television station. For a monthly fee you can download all your favourite episodes, anything they release that month. Imagine that, high quality downloads of naruto bleach death note etc straight from a fat download server and delivered just after the airing in japan, dont forget they will be PAYING their sub team, something that the fan subbers dont get, hence the variety in release dates. If i was subscribing to a tv station per se I would probabbly go buy the DVDs aswell, especially Death Note as it has the potential for awesome packaging!
CGord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm not willing to pay for a downloaded subbed episode. As is, they're available for free, but even if all fansubbing stops my position will not change. I'll gladly buy the R1 dvd's when they're available.

Viz having this one makes sense to my weird little brain, but only if they go to the Canadian acting crew. Since Kappei Yamaguchi is playing L in the original, Richard Cox would fit right in that spot for my ears. Viz went with the Cali crew for Naruto & Bleach, though, so who knows how it'll go.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
The only way i'd support such an idea....is if I get credit for the downloads applied to the purchase of the physical DVD's.

That is a brilliant idea, but who do you think Viz is Animeigo? See now that the way to get people to buy into a product, and then later on not feel like you have to double dip in order to get the DVDs.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

That is a brilliant idea, but who do you think Viz is Animeigo? See now that the way to get people to buy into a product, and then later on not feel like you have to double dip in order to get the DVDs.

When you look at it in the perspective of the company, being able to make a profit off of fans who don't buy the DVDs will compensate for the production costs of both subbing and dubbing the show. So in this respect, knowing Viz as a company who doesn't care about the fans and only care about being #1 in the mainstreming of anime, I highly doubt that they will give a discount to people who buy both the DL and the DVD.

This is why I am totally against this new proposition. I fear it is something that other companies may start to catch onto also in sort of a domino effect. Did Viz ever ask the fans or even their loyal customers what they thought about this change? I don't think so. This shows total disrespect for not just the fans but the people who have been primarily responsible for expanding the popularity of hundreds of series through the responsible and ethical use of unlicensed fansubs before they were released in NA.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it'll work if they keep the prices down. If download-for-rent price for an episode is, say $2, like iTunes charges for TV episodes, I wouldn't mind paying that and then buying DVDs when they come out. Much more than that, I can't see it happening. And of course assuming DRM doesn't totally spoil it - I want good quality and be able to watch it off my TV, or at least of my Mac (which I can hook up to the TV).

But unfortunately I bet the license cost them arm and a leg, and they'll be forced to charge something ridiculous.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, while this is a very interesting move, I already pay enough for DVDs and manga. I'm not sure I'd want pay to download each episode, although Death Note is one of my all time favorite series (both manga and anime).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I suggest locking this thread as there is a newer but more active News thread about the exact same thing.

ps: Jedi General I like your avatar but I don't recognize that character. She looks like a cross between Skuld from AMG and a character you'd find in a Shoji Kawamori anime series.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was that one girl from Eureka Seven...is it?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I thought it was that one girl from Eureka Seven...is it?

Oh, yes it is; it's Talho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2