• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Carole & Tuesday Anime's 1st Half Debuts Worldwide on Netflix on August 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Worse than Terror in Resonance?

in some ways, yes, i would say so. as you watch carole and tuesday, you will keep asking yourself: "when is the twist going to happen" or "surely, there has to be more to so and so character, right"? when you realise the cards have already been shown and that is all the show has to offer, nothing but disappointment ensues. i mean, at this point i cannot fathom as to why it is two seasons long... it has been quite a slog as it is. that said, i will say that there are some good moments sprinkled from time to time, particularly with the earlier episodes, but the heart of the show is simply not there due in part by the flat music on display in the second half. i mean, this is a show by the master watanabe! i never would have guessed it had i not known going in. that is how you know it is a failure. at least terror in resonance tried to tell a more unique story, even if it failed (greatly) in its execution.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree on C&T's songs, they have been the highlight for me so far. I like the performances overall but C&T's absolutely stand out. I'd love to get a soundtrack with only the C&T songs.

As I said, wether you like C&T comes down largely to wether you enjoy the music.

I've read an interview with Watanabe (don't remember where), where he said that music was always very important in his works but he was hesitant to make one about music. Before starting work on C&T, he finally felt ready to make an anime about music and let be front and center. Music is a matter of taste, so I'm not surprised people can be disappointed if the music does nothing for them.

Blanchimont wrote:
Why would the second half have that longer wait time for official release, If first half comes now you'd expect second half by start of Fall season? Nevertheless, by that time I've already watched it...

Why would they have it quicker? The first cours ended at the end of June and it takes them two months to get the international version out. The second cours will end at the end of September and my assumption was that it would take them two months again, which means end of November.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Is the dub for Netflix confirmed, or are we assuming there will be a dub in August?

If anyone is going into this show expecting Bebop or Champloo, or even Dandy, you are going to be disappointed.

Carole & Tuesday is more down to Earth, despite being set on Mars.

I do feel the finale of the first half does fall into the issue other anime.manga does where you are stuck in a 'Tournament Arc', in this case it's an American Idol knock-off. But up to that point, it was pretty good, with only the later part being somewhat predictable and cliche and convenient in its writing. But with that out of the way it'll be interesting to see where the 2nd half will take things.

As for the music. It's fine really, in fact I do dig a bunch of the songs a lot. The OP, ED and other bits during the show that are catchy AF. Carole & Tuesday are both amateurs and naturally, the music they are making reflects that to an extent, so it's no surprise that Angela has the better-sounding music given in the story she has a pro established producer creating the music for her.

So the music fits the show and story being told.

And anybody expecting the show to have music on par with its title references to U2, ABBA, the Carpenters, Aerosmith etc. I could've told you from the start to reign in your expectations, because it would be unreasonable to expect Watanabe or any of his musicians to be compared to bands who are essentially THE BEST & MOST POPULARLY ESTABLISHED ONES IN THE WORLD!!!

C'mon now...

Anyway, if this is dubbed, I'm looking forward to rewatching it as I do think the dub would go better with the English music.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Music tastes are very subjective, so it makes sense that the show doesn’t work for everyone. I also agree that all the characters could use more development. My only other big criticism would be spoiler[the ambiguity, so far, of whether Carole and Tuesday are interested in a romantic relationship. It’s reading as a very “queer teasing/class S” situation to me right now, where they’re implying romance but keeping the plausible deniability of a platonic friendship. I hope this changes in the second cour].

Other than that, this show just makes me so happy. It’s simple, but it’s lighthearted and leaves a smile on my face. And I love *all* the music. What’s not to like?
timber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 am Reply with quote
Not a great series but watchable.
Song wise I like the OP/ED and the songs in the final but the rest is low level.

For music related animés, I'd recommend the relatively recent "Kids on the slope" for the story and the older "Nana" for both a great story and great songs.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
The anime was amazing in my opinion easily one of my favorites from the season, i watched on fansub sites so im assuming the Netflix version is going to be a dub or is it still going to be subbed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2