• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Creator Teases Next Anime Film as Last One

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Man, the last film? Granted like some mentioned earlier, this could just be the last film of this era or something, but if it is indeed the last film of MHA that would be such a bummer.

Anybody remember the article/interview where Kōhei-sensei basically said he wanted to surpass One Piece one day as top manga ever in Japan ? Too lazy for the life of me to look it up but it’s really hard to imagine MHA is anywhere near close to ending..

I feel downright foolish lol. Here I was telling my friends and people alike MHA will have a plethora of movies even more so than One Piece and it’ll surpass One Piece and Naruto even though Naruto is my favorite series of all time Rolling Eyes

Movies aren’t really that important. Sure they are a nice bonus but eh it’s not like One Piece & Naruto has a lot of great movies or anything. Most of them are pretty mediocre with a small handful of actually interesting ones.

Seriously Dragon Ball has around 20 movies & a majority of them just aren’t very good. The MHA franchise will do fine without churning out a crap-ton of forgettable films.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
So from what I can gather from this, this movie will be kinda similar to the first HxH movie (Phantom Rouge) where it will use one of the author's scrapped ideas and turn it into its own movie. It might not be even be considered canon to the actual series.

Phantom Rouge had absolutely nothing to do with Togashi. That movie includes a single character (Pairo) who was in a HxH prequel one-shot who had already died in the story, and Madhouse decided to make up a completely fabricated filler story in which they revived that character as a puppet. Togashi has nothing to do with the HxH 2011 anime or its films.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Sekaro wrote:
So from what I can gather from this, this movie will be kinda similar to the first HxH movie (Phantom Rouge) where it will use one of the author's scrapped ideas and turn it into its own movie. It might not be even be considered canon to the actual series.

Phantom Rouge had absolutely nothing to do with Togashi. That movie includes a single character (Pairo) who was in a HxH prequel one-shot who had already died in the story, and Madhouse decided to make up a completely fabricated filler story in which they revived that character as a puppet. Togashi has nothing to do with the HxH 2011 anime or its films.

If that's the case, then I must have misremembered. I remembered hearing about it way back but I probably should have double check the facts.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
Man, the last film? Granted like some mentioned earlier, this could just be the last film of this era or something, but if it is indeed the last film of MHA that would be such a bummer.

Anybody remember the article/interview where Kōhei-sensei basically said he wanted to surpass One Piece one day as top manga ever in Japan ? Too lazy for the life of me to look it up but it’s really hard to imagine MHA is anywhere near close to ending..

I feel downright foolish lol. Here I was telling my friends and people alike MHA will have a plethora of movies even more so than One Piece and it’ll surpass One Piece and Naruto even though Naruto is my favorite series of all time Rolling Eyes

Movies aren’t really that important. Sure they are a nice bonus but eh it’s not like One Piece & Naruto has a lot of great movies or anything. Most of them are pretty mediocre with a small handful of actually interesting ones.

Seriously Dragon Ball has around 20 movies & a majority of them just aren’t very good. The MHA franchise will do fine without churning out a crap-ton of forgettable films.

You might have a point there. I think the series has benefited from a willingness to take lengthy breaks, rather than follow shonen tradition and go on and on with either very padded out episodes or outright filler, so I don't think it needs frequent movies.
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Movies take a huge toll on the production of the TV series especially when both things are in production at the same time. Last MHA movie affected S3's second cour and despite S4 having a great schedule I'm still worried about the 2nd cour once again.
However I would never say "NO" to a movie directed by a great director like Mamoru Hosoda. But it seems that the days when he directed shonen movies are over.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:
Movies take a huge toll on the production of the TV series especially when both things are in production at the same time. Last MHA movie affected S3's second cour and despite S4 having a great schedule I'm still worried about the 2nd cour once again.
However I would never say "NO" to a movie directed by a great director like Mamoru Hosoda. But it seems that the days when he directed shonen movies are over.

didn't they say that they put a different team in charge of the movie while leaving the normal team in charge of the anime. If I recall correctly the praised director did move teams though so it could of had some impact.

Im pretty sure in several of his afterwords the author has mentioned he had a definitive end in mind for MHA. This is the story of how he becomes the Number 1 hero. Not the story of the number 1 hero. It would be very rare for a shonen action series to focus on someone at the height of their powers with no increasing power scale left.
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Bioshocker wrote:

didn't they say that they put a different team in charge of the movie while leaving the normal team in charge of the anime. If I recall correctly the praised director did move teams though so it could of had some impact.

Im pretty sure in several of his afterwords the author has mentioned he had a definitive end in mind for MHA. This is the story of how he becomes the Number 1 hero. Not the story of the number 1 hero. It would be very rare for a shonen action series to focus on someone at the height of their powers with no increasing power scale left.

There was some staff overlap. Some regulars from the TV series worked on the movie and the most important person had to be replaced too. Instead of being the Chief Animation Director on S3 like he was for S1 and 2, Yoshihiko Umakoshi was the character designer and Chief AD of the movie. You could definitely feel his absence during S3.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Dragonball and One Piece have proven that writers can leave room to shift the power scale.

Also, I think that if a writer is good enough, the scale of power is not as interesting as the creative use of power and circumstances, which I think JoJo's Bizzare Adventure does well.

That being said, I still think that annual movies for MHA are not a good idea for the series. Movies almost always detract from the quality of the main series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2