• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer Mayu Tomita Sues Tokyo Police for 2016 Stabbing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Now three different people have pointed out that the OP decided to start the thread without reading the article, and the OP acknowledged this. If you're going to point out that he didn't read the article first... then you might want to read the thread first, to check whether someone else has already corrected him. In before a fourth person corrects him. Smile

BadNewsBlues wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:
When they do their job correctly nobody bothers to mention it. Remember the old saying:

Dog bites man: nobody cares
Man bites dog: news at 10.

I've never heard this phrase ever.

Then today you learned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_bites_dog_(journalism)

Since the ANN forum's handling of URLs (even within URL tags) is archaic and breaks them as seen, here's the article text:
Quote:
The phrase man bites dog is a shortened version of an aphorism in journalism that describes how an unusual, infrequent event (such as a man biting a dog) is more likely to be reported as news than an ordinary, everyday occurrence with similar consequences, such as a dog biting a man. An event is usually considered more newsworthy if there is something unusual about it; a commonplace event is less likely to be seen as newsworthy, even if the consequences of both events have objectively similar outcomes. The result is that rarer events more often appear as news stories, while more common events appear less often, thus distorting the perceptions of news consumers of what constitutes normal rates of occurrence.

The phenomenon is also described in the journalistic saying, "You never read about a plane that did not crash".

The phrase was coined by Alfred Harmsworth, 1st Viscount Northcliffe (1865–1922), a British newspaper magnate, but is also attributed to New York Sun editor John B. Bogart (1848–1921): "When a dog bites a man, that is not news, because it happens so often. But if a man bites a dog, that is news." The quote is also attributed to Charles Anderson Dana (1819–1897).
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
You do know this isn't unique to idols, right? (or Japan for that matter)

And any criticism towards the idol biz can be leveled at the entertainment industry as a whole and even athletes and peeps in the fashion industry (especially models) have to deal with this kind of fucked up shit worldwide

(I don't think I need to mention how creepy child beauty pageants are do I?)

Really the first step in stopping shit like this from happening worldwide is getting rid of all the creeps and that's easier said than done

Every time there's been an article about an idol you get a number of people who come out of the woodwork to denounce and decry the idol industry as if it's the reason crime exists in the world.

AkumaChief wrote:
There are cases in which the police try and investigate but are stymied for whatever reason: maybe they can't trace an anonymous online threat, maybe they did indeed talk to talk to the alleged perpetrator but were deceived, or maybe a technical system they wanted to use was down that day. But in this case there was no such problem, the victim gave the police the attacker's identity, and even went so far as to warn them again about her concert, but they didn't act at all. Even if you have no idea where to find the suspect, or if you have no idea who a suspect may be, you can still send an officer to a concert just to maintain a presence. That's why this situation strikes me as such a major case of negligence or incompetence: it appears that the police didn't even lift a finger to attempt to do anything, and that's a lot worse than trying and failing.

Tracking down online threats are easy enough. The problem is police aren't going to investigate threats unless they have a reason to believe it's true. Too many of them exist for them to do that, and most are not credible or ever acted upon. If only 1% of all threats are credible or acted upon, then investigating every single one is a waste of time. Credible ones involve those crazy public figure threatening they'll kill Trump or other politicians. Non-credible ones are idiot kids on Xbox Live telling you they're going to hack your IP and kill you because you beat them in Halo. Hindsight is 20/20 and people love to point fingers after the fact. But they won't comment on the tons of threats made every day on the internet where nothing happens.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the article of her stabbing three years ago. I’m still horrified by it. I’m glad to see she survived and her “fan” is in jail (yeah, I think you should quote it because that monster isn’t a real fan). Sad she’s been going through such hard times for three years though. I wish her the best.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
timber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:

Not only the police was unresponsive on her case, having to officially apologize for it, for people who don't know about this, her specific case was already grounds for law change, specifically anti-stalking laws.

Unfortunately it often takes such cases for mentalities to change. Take child disappearances, here in Belgium they were treated in first instances as probably "the child just eloping" till Julie and Melissa were found dead from starvation and physical abuse. Now there is a dedicated service for child disappearances which treats it as a life and death issue possibly involving kidnapping till it is proven otherwise.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Actually when law enforcement does stop someone from acting on threats it does make the news.

Only when there are unsual circumstances that make the sitaution noteworthy. The following situation happens thousands of times a day, every day, across the nation but nobody ever hears about it because it's nothing ever comes of it and thus there's no exciting news to sell:
-person A makes threat to person B.
-person B calls cops
-cops talk to person A. Usually that's enough, but sometimes they file a restraining order, have the person committed for mental evaluation if they are behaving irrationally, or perhaps might even arrest them if they become aggressive
-Nothing more happens, presumably because the threats weren't serious to begin with, or because law enforcement dealt with the situation.

Quote:
The people who tend to make this argument are pro gun types like the NRA who think gun owners should be a protected class and who for years have made it hard for state,federal, & local government to take guns away from people who more often than not go on to commit crimes with those guns.

I'm not sure what you are implying here. I didn't mention anything about guns, and I'm not sure how they are even relevant. But since you raised the point, it's a fact that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are not using them to commit crimes, and I have no problem with the government taking guns away from people who are making threatening violence or who are acting mentally unstable.
In a way, gun owners really could be a protected class. In today's society people get upset (and rightly so) if someone acts with prejudice and treats a person like a criminal because they are--for example--homosexual or of a different race. But for some reason, many of those same "activists" will label gun owners as either criminals or criminals-waiting-to-happen, and aren't even aware of the great irony and cognative dissonance there. Prejudice is prejudice, and it is not limited to race or sexual orientation. A person's actions determine whether or not they are a criminal; not their skin color, religion, sexual orientation, country of birth, or what inanimate objects they choose to own.

Quote:

Quote:
Dog bites man: nobody cares
Man bites dog: news at 10.

I've never heard this phrase ever.

That surprises me! But I'm sure you get the point. The news doesn't report things that we expect to happen; it reports on exceptions--things that are unusual, or atypical, and thus get our attention. Mundane things don't get views or clicks, it's the exceptional and strange things that do. An article about "the jobs did their job and nothing happened" doesn't sell. An article about how the cops screwed up most certainly does sell.

As an example, I recall reading about a study done in England regarding newspapers publishing information about drug overdoses. It happened that if a person ODed on an illegal drug that was 100% likely to make the paper. However, when people died on *legal* medication (either over the counter or prescribed by their doctor) they rarely reported it, if ever. During the study period there were 3 deaths due to illegal drugs, all of which were reported. There were over two hundred deaths due to legal drugs, but none of those were reported. The news pushes sensationalism, it does not accurately report statistics.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:
ShugoYotsuba wrote:

You do know this isn't unique to idols, right? (or Japan for that matter)

And any criticism towards the idol biz can be leveled at the entertainment industry as a whole and even athletes and peeps in the fashion industry (especially models) have to deal with this kind of fucked up shit worldwide

(I don't think I need to mention how creepy child beauty pageants are do I?)

Really the first step in stopping shit like this from happening worldwide is getting rid of all the creeps and that's easier said than done

Yes, agreed. It isn't unique in any way, nor I wanted to imply it is.
But it is particularly insidious in idol culture, which is something I see people constantly trying to diminish or deny. I'd argue athletes, fashion industry, or child beauty pageants get nowhere near the number of cases the idol industry does, proportionally speaking, similar to this one.

I know that there is all kinds of toxic behavior that goes on in Idol fandom, but I'm surprised to hear that you believe it to be worse than other aspects of the entertainment industry. Is there any data which supports that theory? I would suspect that sexual abuse and stalker behavior in the movie and music industries--especially Hollywood--is far more prevalent because of the larger size of the industry and the size of the stakes as well. But I have not seen any numbers, so if you have some then please share them or post sources.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
What is wrong with this world? I guess now victims will have to tape/record the conversations they have with the police or other government agency prior to the accident that may or may not occur, in order to prove those public servants haven't done shit to prevent said accidents to happen...
This will probably end in, "She said, but they said" and the ruling goes in favor of the Estate.
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
sad story, nwa F##k the police.
Hopefully she can get her looks back to normalish, girls are very judgemental on themselves for looks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2