• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets 1st CG Anime Film by Stand By Me Doraemon's Takashi Yamazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised, but glad, to see a lot of reasonable, open-minded reactions. Also, good to know that GeorgeC is the real fan of Lupin III here, arbiter of which Lupin projects are acceptable for real fans to enjoy. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC: Ironic that you bring it up, because Disney/Pixar loves Lupin like a mofo. Anyway, I think they're just doing the Tintin thing with Lupin to honor the memory of a similar comic artist. I don't think they're 'dumbing down' Lupin. They even used similar models from the PS games. Rather, they're just doing 'the show must go on' thing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
It looks too family friendly to me. I'm used to the more hardboiled recent takes now, so I hope they don't chicken out and make it like just another of the toothless TV specials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind a nicely produced CG Lupin as a one-time thing.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Looks great, but Lupin and CG animation don't mix in my mind. If this was about some other characters, I'd be much more excited. We've known since January that there'd be a new movie next winter, and I was hoping for something completely different, so this disappointment hit pretty hard.

On the other hand, it's nice to get something that could get a little goofy. That Pink Jacket episode in Part 5 made me eager for more silly Lupin content that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I think this has a better chance of being an international success than almost anything else in the franchise, so fingers crossed for that.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
There seems to be a lot of confusing of 2D, 2DCG, 3D, 3DCG in this thread.

I'm always glad to see more Lupin being made. Not crazy about the 3DCG look, but meh, wasn't so fond of the live action Lupin movies either.

I don't think TMS needs this style for an international appeal. The franchisee already has that. But, I do think believe that TMS is doing this for the sake of being able to do it, and I'm all for that.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
Who knows about the script and the PG-rating appearance but dat animation and the 70s visuals are legit. What´s next, claymation? No seriously claymation Lupin would work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
This approach is a lot better than what you usually see, this is 3D Lupin, not 3D Lupin trying to look 2D.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This approach is a lot better than what you usually see, this is 3D Lupin, not 3D Lupin trying to look 2D.

Agreed. If they are going to make it with computer graphics, then I prefer that they make use of that format, which it looks like is the plan. Filled out backgrounds, moving the camera around, etc. When I watch something done with CGI that was made to look like typical 2d animation, it usually leaves me wonder what the point was since it doesn't look any better, and frequently looks janky in comparison.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Cost saving. You can reuse 3D models, not so much animation cells.
sonryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
You know you love a franchise when you get goosebumps as the theme song starts playing lol I'll be looking forward to this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I can tell a bunch of the people here grew up during the CG era AFTER Disney shut down its traditional (hand-drawn) animation dept.
I question whether a bunch of you have seen a lot of Lupin III anime if your reaction to this CG trailer is what it is.

These designs look too Disney/Pixar to me.
Fujiko looks cute. Sorry, she's NOT supposed to look cute. She's sexy and dangerous.

There's a reason the TMS producers would want to push this --
They believe CG is significantly cheaper than hand-drawn animation.
It really isn't.
And they already aren't paying people living wages.
They also believe if they emulate what's worked with Disney and Pixar, the international audiences will be bigger for their movies.
But they'll lose a lot of what made these films unique from Western movies in the process.
If you become so concerned about the international market and turn out a mediocre product or dumb down the stories chasing that overseas money, you WILL lose your domestic market.
If this film is successful with this "new look," they're going to do the SAME STUPID THINGS the Western studios did.

These producers could KILL at least theatrical hand-drawn animation in the next decade or two. The last vestiges of hand-drawn theatrical animation are in Japan. They've pretty much given up on the art form in the West because the Western film producers believe the Pixar formula and look is the way to go.
I'll calling it right now.
And whether you guys are aware of this or not, you'll be helping these producers get exactly what they want.

While I agree with you overall, I think this would be better directed at something like Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution or Dragon Quest Your Story, where the CG looks absolutely horrendous or nothing like the source material. The CG for this doesn't look too bad and still looks kind of lively and the designs are okay In no way would I want this to be the new standard for Lupin, or any anime, but I think this is one of the less offensive CG movies to happen. The jiggle physics they gave Fujiko in this trailer alone shows they're not dumbing things down and aim to keep some spirit of the original.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I Sorry, she's NOT supposed to look cute.

....You can find her both sexy and cute.

GeorgeC wrote:
and dangerous.

If we're going by her flanderization in part 2 & 3 no she's not.

GeorgeC wrote:

And whether you guys are aware of this or not, you'll be helping these producers get exactly what they want.

Yeah so people shouldn't support this because if they do that means the death of 2D animation all over the world?.....Don't know what you're smoking but methinks you need to go cold turkey.

penguintruth wrote:
It looks too family friendly to me.

More family friendly then the backhalf of series 1 and the majority of series 2?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I can tell a bunch of the people here grew up during the CG era AFTER Disney shut down its traditional (hand-drawn) animation dept.
I question whether a bunch of you have seen a lot of Lupin III anime if your reaction to this CG trailer is what it is.

These designs look too Disney/Pixar to me.
Fujiko looks cute. Sorry, she's NOT supposed to look cute. She's sexy and dangerous.
Didn't people have the same reaction when Castle of Cagliostro first came out? That was pretty much a G-rated Lupin by way of Hayao Miyazaki. It didn't change the franchise.
Regarding Fujiko, to me her design looks not much different from the most recent Part 5 series. She's always fallen inbetween cute and sexy at times.
residentgrigo wrote:
Who knows about the script and the PG-rating appearance but dat animation and the 70s visuals are legit. What´s next, claymation? No seriously claymation Lupin would work.
I wouldn't mind a Lupin movie animated in the stop-motion style of the old Rankin-Bass specials. Laughing
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This looks awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3