• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets 1st CG Anime Film by Stand By Me Doraemon's Takashi Yamazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I like what i'm seeing but i'm just shocked i'm seeing it.

That said from the article it reads like Monkey Punch knew this was going to happen prior to his passing and was okay with it so as a long time fan i see no reason to worry or be concerned.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
My experience with the Lupin franchise is pretty limited but I'm impressed by the CGI animation so far. It looks lively, expressive, and smooth and it managed to get me excited for it. If TMS is aiming for a more general audience with this film, I hope they'll give it as wide of a US theater release as possible. I think this definitely has a lot of potential to get a lot of new fans into Lupin. I know I have other friends who have only seen the Miyazaki film that are already excited about this movie. I also agree with others that the Lupin movie looks so much better than the Mewtwo CGI film.
BxB-Taku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that this is being produced by Marza Animation Planet, Sega Sammy's personal CG studio. Though, after Sega bought TMS they became a subsidiary of them. They're pretty much in charge of most of Sega's CG work in their games like Sonic since around 2007. They've also worked with other companies like Nintendo and Capcom, along with work on various tv series. They appear to be involved with the Sonic movie along with Blur Studio, though their role isn't clear.

Here's a link to their website:
https://www.marza.com/en/
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
There's a reason the TMS producers would want to push this --
They believe CG is significantly cheaper than hand-drawn animation.
It really isn't.
And they already aren't paying people living wages.
They also believe if they emulate what's worked with Disney and Pixar, the international audiences will be bigger for their movies.

What makes you think all this? Maybe they're just experimenting with CG for Lupin III. That's not bad.

Quote:
And whether you guys are aware of this or not, you'll be helping these producers get exactly what they want.

Stand By Me Doraemon (a CG movie based on the long-running Doraemon franchise) came out in August 2014 and performed extremely well in Japan and other Asian territories. Did that cause producers to go "2D animation is dead"? No.

MFrontier wrote:
What's next? CG Detective Conan?

Yup! Wink

Kicksville wrote:
Alright but "Lupin The Third The First" is a terrible title

I agree. It sounds off-putting and confusing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

I agree. It sounds off-putting and confusing.

Less confusing when you remember this is the first Lupin film animated in 3D cg.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Wow this actually looks very cool, I do not know much about Lupin III (I've only seen Cagliostro) but the artstyle always felt very cartoony (I've heard that the original manga by Monkey Punch was inspired by the comics from MAD magazine) so it makes sense that the designs translate well into 3D, unlike Stand by me Doraemon which I felt the designs didn't look great in 3D.
I hope that this movie gets and international release, I mean I think its guaranteed that it will get released in countries like Italy where Lupin is very popular.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Does Japan prescore its CGI films like the US does (recording the voices before the animation)? I ask out of conern of how this would eventually look English dubbed and whether there could be lip lock.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
@GeorgeC Not having hand drawn animation in the U.S.A is terrible, but I don't mind TMS trying new things, there is nothing wrong with a CG film. Let's not freak out that this movie will kill 2d animation in Japan. (*knocks on wood* Wink )

Fixed for you, please avoid to generalize about the American definition of "the west". There's also other western countries which still does traditional animation, like Mexico, Argentina, France, and others.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Stand By Me Doraemon (a CG movie based on the long-running Doraemon franchise) came out in August 2014 and performed extremely well in Japan and other Asian territories. Did that cause producers to go "2D animation is dead"? No.

Also, the Doraemon movies returned to the hand drawn style after Stand By Me, and the weekly TV series never changed at all.

It's worth mentioning as well that the director of both Stand By Me - Doraemon and this new Lupin III movie is Takashi Yamazaki. He's also behind the upcoming Dragon Quest - Your Story CG movie, and in addition to that his filmography includes:

* the three Always - Evening on Third Avenue movies (live action, based on a very old manga)
* Space Battleship Yamato (live action, based on the classic anime)
* Destiny - Kamakura Tales (live action, based on a manga by the same guy who did the "Evening on Third Avenue" comics)

In other words, borrowing a classic manga property to make a big screen movie (whether live-action or CG anime) is very much his wheelhouse. For those who don't mind a bit of sentimentality, his movies are usually quite good.

Most likely, he'll make a nice crowd-pleaser with Lupin, and then move on to something else.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
Title gives the "New Nintendo 3DS" vibes, but this seems to be more action-packed than heist-oriented.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3