Forum - View topic
Interview: Wit Studio




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bioshocker



Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Wada back at it again with his BS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Changeman



Joined: 06 Jun 2018
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Poor people. So much effort that so many people are putting in the production of this anime and in the end Netflix will receive all the credits for it (Assuming that Netflix continues transmitting the + Ultra block animations in this period.).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sherris



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:
Wada back at it again with his BS.

What BS?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bioshocker



Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Bioshocker wrote:
Wada back at it again with his BS.

What BS?


Read the quesrion about work-life balance at Wit.
Staff clearly overworked: hel-
Wada: Is fun!

It's not the first time he defended their awful working conditions. It's more or less the same answer from 2017.

Wada: Good food and good sleep. They have to sleep, because they'll die otherwise. The best thing is the smiles of all the fans. So all the animators are sitting at their desk all day and all night, just imagine that. What saves them from depression is one positive comment from a fan. That's why are going to take all your positive aura and energy bars back to the studio.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 451
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the interview. That was an excellent read. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles for 2020. Also, I'm glad to see Yutaka Yamada getting more high-profile projecs after Vinland Saga. The guy is a genius and I can't wait to hear his OST...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 2933
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maiko Okada, an animation producer for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, also joined the panel to talk about her role. Okada said she was aware that Wit Studio was known for more zombie-like stories recently, but hoped that making something more modern and original would be a good challenge for the studio.


"Zombie-like stories?" Wit just released Vinland Saga and produced Mahoutsukai no Yome in 2017. Okada seems to be undervaluing her own studio's diversity.

Having laughed at the portrayals of Houston in Uchuu Kyoudai, I can't wait to see Wit's LA. All the characters in Space Brothers were speaking English most of the time, but the script was in Japanese. Black Lagoon was the same. Honestly I'd prefer if they stuck to Japanese rather than listening to the seiyuu try to speak languages with which they are unfamiliar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3689
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Thanks a lot for the interview. That was an excellent read. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles for 2020. Also, I'm glad to see Yutaka Yamada getting more high-profile projecs after Vinland Saga. The guy is a genius and I can't wait to hear his OST...

Yeah, this show and the collection of staff sound great. Can't wait to see it next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sherris



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Bioshocker wrote:


Read the quesrion about work-life balance at Wit.
Staff clearly overworked: hel-
Wada: Is fun!

It's not the first time he defended their awful working conditions. It's more or less the same answer from 2017.

Wada: Good food and good sleep. They have to sleep, because they'll die otherwise. The best thing is the smiles of all the fans. So all the animators are sitting at their desk all day and all night, just imagine that. What saves them from depression is one positive comment from a fan. That's why are going to take all your positive aura and energy bars back to the studio.


How do you know the work conditions at Wit are bad?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grooven



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 1331
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode at AX it was really fun. I found it was very interesting they hired a writer outside of anime and I think that will make the writing even stronger. The story played out quite well and I could see it as a live-action just as easily. The nods to LA were very funny and the In and Out was a nice touch. I can't wait for more of the show when it airs!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1173
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
How do you know the work conditions at Wit are bad?

I can help answer this question but it does require a general understanding of detecting between great and poor anime production schedules. I'm sure this happened with other titles made by Studio Wit, but Attack on Titan's production is usually the go-to when people refer to the studio's working conditions.

Since season 1, whole episodes would have multiple animation directors, assistant animation directors, key animators and 2nd key animators. The average fan wouldn't be able to notice when conventional dialogue scenes characters look consistently on-model to character designer, Kyoji Asano's sheets and the action scenes are handled by talented animators like Takumi Ebisu and Arifumi Imai. But having more than 2 animation directors for almost every episode of a production and so many key animators and 2nd key animators is not a sign of a healthy production due to the fact that so many people are being recruit to make sure deadlines are met. You can see the same problem with other anime titles and their productions like Dragon Ball Super, God Eater or Black Clover. It's just that the woes of Attack on Titan's production doesn't show as easily due to its presentation. Even Sakugablog put out an article how supposedly Wit is done with the show after the second half of season 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bioshocker



Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Bioshocker wrote:


Read the quesrion about work-life balance at Wit.
Staff clearly overworked: hel-
Wada: Is fun!

It's not the first time he defended their awful working conditions. It's more or less the same answer from 2017.

Wada: Good food and good sleep. They have to sleep, because they'll die otherwise. The best thing is the smiles of all the fans. So all the animators are sitting at their desk all day and all night, just imagine that. What saves them from depression is one positive comment from a fan. That's why are going to take all your positive aura and energy bars back to the studio.


How do you know the work conditions at Wit are bad?


Wit having poor working conditions isn't a secret or anything. That's why Wada always dodges the question. The studio has a relatively small team that is constantly overworked. Their projects on the other hand are too ambitious. The Rolling Girls had a promising start too, but fell apart quickly. All Attack on Titan seasons were heavily rushed. One of S3 part 2's action animation directors complained about the tight schedule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group