Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yu-Gi-Oh! Creator Kazuki Takahashi Wants Fans to Vote




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aaronrules380



Joined: 08 Oct 2012
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Japan's current administration is full of nationalistic hacks and war crime deniers and the youth in Japan is very uninterested in politics from what I understand, so I have to give props to Takahashi for using his platform to try and encourage people to get involved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1063
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh sure, he can do that, but when I stand outside a polling place yelling "IT'S TIME TO V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-VOTE!" someone calls the cops.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jellybeanbandit



Joined: 18 Jun 2019
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Go to the Polls? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1876
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally a feel good positive political story about a famous person in anime and manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amibite



Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Japan's current administration is full of nationalistic hacks and war crime deniers and the youth in Japan is very uninterested in politics from what I understand, so I have to give props to Takahashi for using his platform to try and encourage people to get involved.


The LDP have been in power for almost the entirety of it's existence following its formation after WW2. To call it 'current administration' seems a bit optimistic. There's only been a couple of off years where another party managed to be elected to office, and it was always short-lived.

But every party in Japan is nationalistic to some degree. Part of the reason the first Democratic Party Prime Minister elected to office resigned back in 2010 was because he failed to uphold his campaign promise of getting rid of American military bases in Japan and kicking Americans out of the country and make Japan more independent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aaronrules380



Joined: 08 Oct 2012
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Japan's current administration is full of nationalistic hacks and war crime deniers and the youth in Japan is very uninterested in politics from what I understand, so I have to give props to Takahashi for using his platform to try and encourage people to get involved.


The LDP have been in power for almost the entirety of it's existence following its formation after WW2. To call it 'current administration' seems a bit optimistic. There's only been a couple of off years where another party managed to be elected to office, and it was always short-lived.

But every party in Japan is nationalistic to some degree. Part of the reason the first Democratic Party Prime Minister elected to office resigned back in 2010 was because he failed to uphold his campaign promise of getting rid of American military bases in Japan and kicking Americans out of the country and make Japan more independent.
I mean I don't disagree, but that doesn't change how problematic the party and it's beliefs are
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonaka Machine Gun B



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 720
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Yu-Gi-Go to the Polls? Rolling Eyes

Yugi Muto the polls. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1605
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I don't see this upcoming election as anything more than to reinforce the LDP's hold on power. Nobody really votes to be represented, they vote to determine which party is more capable of running affairs of state.

It's honestly no different in any other free speech country that permits the vote but people still want to romanticize the whole process as some kind of silly battle of good vs evil! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Commander Cluck



Joined: 02 May 2019
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Finally a feel good positive political story about a famous person in anime and manga.


I guess that depends on your perspective. The Japanese comments on the original otakomu article seems to be tearing him apart over this. And a number of the highest rated posts on the Instagram post are also telling him how disappointed they are in him using these characters to say stuff like this. Seems like the fandom isn't too happy with it. I imagine Japan is even more "keep politics out of our stuff' than Americans are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1876
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess that depends on your perspective. The Japanese comments on the original otakomu article seems to be tearing him apart over this.
He's not saying anything offensive or racist so I'm considering that a win even though that's probably a low bar even for these days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1605
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
But every party in Japan is nationalistic to some degree. Part of the reason the first Democratic Party Prime Minister elected to office resigned back in 2010 was because he failed to uphold his campaign promise of getting rid of American military bases in Japan and kicking Americans out of the country and make Japan more independent.

What exactly would that really had accomplished though? American foreign policy for years was adamant on the need to retain the bases in Japan for the purposes of monitoring and intercepting threats from North Korea. Plus, America is too much of a needed business partner for Japan in terms of pain treatments, electronics, automobiles, video games, anime, manga, and food. Going full national would be economic suicide for Japan. The risks are not worth it just because a segment of the population is still butthurt over post World War 2 occupation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group