• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Serial Experiment Lain Goes 'Open Source' In Japan Until 2028

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Schaef Dogg wrote:

NBC Japan, yes. Geneon (previously Pioneer) merged with Universal Japan in 2009 to become Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan, and renamed to NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan in 2013. Any time NBC Universal is mentioned in ANN articles it is usually referring to the Japanese unit. Article probably should have linked to this encyclopedia entry instead of the American NBC.

I see. So, that is Nihon Broadcasting Corporation, rather than National Broadcasting Corporation. The problem with acronyms.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Schaef Dogg wrote:

NBC Japan, yes. Geneon (previously Pioneer) merged with Universal Japan in 2009 to become Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan, and renamed to NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan in 2013. Any time NBC Universal is mentioned in ANN articles it is usually referring to the Japanese unit. Article probably should have linked to this encyclopedia entry instead of the American NBC.

I see. So, that is Nihon Broadcasting Corporation, rather than National Broadcasting Corporation. The problem with acronyms.

No, it is National Broadcasting Corporation, as it is virtually the Japanese division of the American television network. Similar to how BBC has BBC America in the US. NBC-TV merged US operations with Universal Studios and Universal's Japanese division adopted the NBCUniversal name like their corporate parent.

It has nothing to do with Nihon Broadcasting Corporation, as that is NHK, the Japanese national broadcaster.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Being Japan only, I have high hopes that people remain respectful and adult and don't spoil things for everyone else. If were the US... Shocked

Of course, knowing Japan, it's going to mean doujins of Lain getting... well, I don't think I need to spell it out. Maybe being niche and being an old series that the otaku are not super into will protect it.

I mean, you could've made doujinshi of Lain before, it's not like Fate is open source yet it has plenty of doujinshi.

Of course. Lain doujin came out the moment the show first did, more than 20 years ago. And doujin get made for pretty much everything, whether they are officially permitted or not. I guess this is really just a PR sort of announcement, because it doesn't seem like there is anything fundamentally new here. They're allowing derivative works only, and that's pretty much what has always been the case for anime/manga; the Fate doujinshi you mention is a perfect example.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
They're giving away any claim on derivative works... which means they're allowing fan art and stuff. That's very kind of them but allowing fan art is not "open sourcing".

Yes, it is, in a sense (probably a legal one, where it counts) creating an open source doctrine around the copyright of the prior art. New works in any way related to SE:L will not face prosecution. From a corporate standpoint, this is almost revolutionary behavior. Almost as if the students had descended from the barracades and entered the board room for tea and scones.

A real open source license would allow commercial use for derivative works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2