• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in 7SEEDS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
When I heard the first season was going to be 12 episodes I was afraid they might not get far enough into the story to reach some of the more interesting bits. Turns out they only needed about three episodes for that, apparently.

Trying to cram an average of 1.33 volumes into each 22 minute episode would be madness with almost any manga, let alone something like 7 Seeds. At the same pace, the Promised Neverland adaptation would have been 3.75 episodes long, for example. The plot would have similarly become a ridiculous mishmash of disparate elements with no emotional weight.
timber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that while everyone in the comments section complains on how much the episodes speeds through the story, the reviewers seems to find many of elements of the story itself ridiculous to the point that so I am not sure how much a decent version of the anime would have improved their opinion.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Well, just reading the "review" gave me mayuoiga flashbacks, though I am pretty sure mayoiga was made bad on purpose.

timber wrote:
What I find interesting is that while everyone in the comments section complains on how much the episodes speeds through the story, the reviewers seems to find many of elements of the story itself ridiculous to the point that so I am not sure how much a decent version of the anime would have improved their opinion.

well, it sounds like one of those memes/questions "explain your favorite anime's plot in the most ridiculous way posssible" made into anime.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
Right now I just want to know how Hana survived the fall.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:

Like I indicated, you’d have a similar problem trying to squeeze most plots down this ridiculously without actually skipping arcs or removing plotlines (especially sprawling sci-fi with a large cast). Characters will do things without motivation and events will occur without justification because there’s no time to include either. The reviewers themselves made the same point even without knowing the source material.

They’ve also mistaken a few facts, but I’m assuming it’s because the anime didn’t explain them (I haven’t finished it). Some other things have twist explanations, but as they say in the article:
Quote:
Like you mentioned earlier, it's almost convenient enough to make you suspect that something bigger is going on, but the quality of the anime just leads me to believe it's bad writing.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
If the anime did one right, it got me to read the manga, which is fantastic. Sure all the bizarre stuff mentioned happens in the manga too, but it's done in a way that makes it feel like it's a deliberately surreal narrative. Weird and senseless stuff happens because it's a weird and senseless world they've been thrust into, but considering we get much more time to know the world, the characters, and their stories, you actually want to follow them and root for them.
Also the anime spoils stuff right off the bat that we shouldn't know until like, volume nine, which drains a lot of the tension from knowing whether various characters survive or not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
pearlday1 wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a bit off... but this was really hard to read due to the format.

I don't know what you're viewing on, but if you're using a computer or tablet, you can narrow the browser window down to half its width without prompting a horizontal scroll bar, which puts the bubbles almost right over each other. I also then zoom the screen, because it's the only way I can read the subtitles on the screencaps.

S.S. Elephant n' Lion?? Seriously? Was that a name the kids gave the boat, or was it named by whoever left it for them?
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
Me and my friend tried to watch an episode of this together because we were both fans of the manga, but at the end of it, we just concluded that it was probably better to reread the manga than continue.

I knew something was off already when they introduced Ango's team without first showing their backstory, because one of the most brilliant moves by Tamura in the manga was first showing these genius kids living relatively happy lives, having you root for them as these lives all go downhill, and then turning around and making these characters essentially antagonists to our other favorites in the series. It's a masterful piece of storytelling, and the first episode completely ruins it by showing the conclusion to maximize shock factor, ugh.

It's really a shame that the anime is just so godawfully bad though because I feel like it would discourage some people from reading the incredibly good manga, which is one of Tamura's best works (better than Basara, but not quite as transcendent as, imo, Neko Mix Toraji).

Also, it's disappointing to hear how the ventriloquist episode has been deemed as universally bad. That was one of my favorite plot arcs in the manga!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
S.S. Elephant n' Lion?? Seriously? Was that a name the kids gave the boat, or was it named by whoever left it for them?

From the manga:
Quote:
Arashi: “We’ll call the boat Zou to Raion Maru.”

Semimaru, choking him: “What? I hate that name. Yamato! Call it Yamato!”

Arashi: “No. That’s a battleship name.”

7 Seeds is full of classical music references, but in this case it’s an obscure Ghibli music reference. (And probably some sort of pun, since Japanese ship names tend to end in Maru.)

Suxinn wrote:
Also, it's disappointing to hear how the ventriloquist episode has been deemed as universally bad. That was one of my favorite plot arcs in the manga!

Same here. Hands-down the most emotional and compassionately-written apocalyptic ventriloquism arc I’ve ever read.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Reading from manga fans about how good the manga is is making me feel worse...

Who publishes 7SEEDS in Japan? Which American publisher should we inundate with license requests? Viz? Yen Press? Maybe Fantagraphics? Seven Seas? Let’s organize and make an omnibus release happen! Laughing
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Published by Shogakukan.

If anyone did want to organise some sort of mini-campaign, a Twitter user named @yanbang may be able to help spread the word about it, and it looks like there's a subreddit with a number of subscribers.
zoid9000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I realize this isn't a proper "review" but given the title I was expecting it to at least try to understand the series and not just rag on it like a clickbait youtube video. Is this really the kind of content that ANN produces now? It wouldn't be so bad if they were treating it with some respect, but instead of bothering to know the character's names they throw out stuff like "Dog Jesus". It's honestly sad and almost offensive. Like, I understand this type of stuff is popular now but it feels like it should somehow be separated from the "Anime News" brand.

Anyway, this obviously isn't the perfect series and yes it does have some production problems, but I think it does a good job at capturing the emotions and actions of these characters as they wake up in an unbelievable situation. For example, they rag on Aramaki's friend who "only speaks in baseball analogies", but he was personally one of my favorites. You could tell he was passionate about baseball and in this situation where a bunch of kids are left to fend for themselves in a post-apocalyptic world - why wouldn't they cling to the things they loved? It's literally all they have left! That's why the people who organized the project left him the baseball hat and glove in the first place. Personally, I think his optimism about the situation was inspiring and the way it rubbed off on Aramaki 15 years later was touching.

So, yeah, I would say the human elements of the series are portrayed very well. And I think anyone who watches until the end realizes it's not supposed to be a sci-fi mystery, but simply a show about people and survival. It's kind of like Lost without all the convoluted plot. Of course, I get that's not a genre everyone would like.

Still, did it deserve better than this column? Certainly.

My two cents.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. Sometimes, against all odds, critics do perform a public service.
Also, I don't subscribe to Netflix, so I couldn't watch it even with a gun to my head.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
zoid9000 wrote:
I realize this isn't a proper "review" but given the title I was expecting it to at least try to understand the series and not just rag on it like a clickbait youtube video. Is this really the kind of content that ANN produces now? It wouldn't be so bad if they were treating it with some respect, but instead of bothering to know the character's names they throw out stuff like "Dog Jesus". It's honestly sad and almost offensive. Like, I understand this type of stuff is popular now but it feels like it should somehow be separated from the "Anime News" brand.

Anyway, this obviously isn't the perfect series and yes it does have some production problems, but I think it does a good job at capturing the emotions and actions of these characters as they wake up in an unbelievable situation. For example, they rag on Aramaki's friend who "only speaks in baseball analogies", but he was personally one of my favorites. You could tell he was passionate about baseball and in this situation where a bunch of kids are left to fend for themselves in a post-apocalyptic world - why wouldn't they cling to the things they loved? It's literally all they have left! That's why the people who organized the project left him the baseball hat and glove in the first place. Personally, I think his optimism about the situation was inspiring and the way it rubbed off on Aramaki 15 years later was touching.

So, yeah, I would say the human elements of the series are portrayed very well. And I think anyone who watches until the end realizes it's not supposed to be a sci-fi mystery, but simply a show about people and survival. It's kind of like Lost without all the convoluted plot. Of course, I get that's not a genre everyone would like.

Still, did it deserve better than this column? Certainly.

My two cents.

Go watch Blue Gender and tell me how the two compare. I dare you.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why it seems like anime adaptations that try to rush through their source materials are happening more frequently these days. It seems like it all started with Tokyo Ghoul.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3