• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
• Gunnar is obviously a bit of a worm, but I appreciate that he share's Ragnar's weirdly pointed skull shape. I don't know if this means the two are related, or just that Canute is destined to have at least one Conehead as a cronie for all time.

pretty sure he was said to be his brother.

Yeah, he was literally called his younger brother lol.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I am just wonderin if the anime will make it to the manga's great scene where we get to witness knut's beautiful naked chest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
review for episode 19 wrote:
I half expected Thorkell's weakness to literally be a spot on his head that Thorfinn would need to hit with a stone, or the butt of Thorfinn's blade, but that might have been too obvious.

You pointed it out yourself, this was elegantly foreshadowed with Thors decking him with one punch. So of course a glass jaw is Thorkell's weakness.

review for episode 20 wrote:
When a baffled Ragnar tells Canute that he's changed Kate into this week's episode, he may as well be talking about the show itself, too.

Ok, I'm having a mental block here: Ragnar's dead (did I forget a flashback?) and who is Kate? How did Ragnar change her into this week's episode and why would he tell that to Canute? I can't make sense of it as is, and I can't figure out what else might've been intended. Anyone got a translation of what the hell he's trying to say? If this is a bunch of typos, they're worse than 19's "and Thorkfinn one."

Anyway, a standout episode with its epic standoff between Canute and his father. And a hearty Skål! to Willibald, for Character Who Cleans Up Best.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure the reviewer meant Gunnar, Ragnar's brother. Not sure what Kate could be. I think it should just be omitted as that allows the sentence to at least make sense.

Really loved the most recent episode (21). Lots of things that were foreshadowed or built up are finally brought to pass and Askeladd gets to show his scheming brilliant self.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one confused by the "Kate" sentence - I was afraid I was suffering from a bad case of ESL Very Happy Though now that I think about it, "Kate" seems like it could just be a typo for "late".
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one confused by the "Kate" sentence - I was afraid I was suffering from a bad case of ESL Very Happy Though now that I think about it, "Kate" seems like it could just be a typo for "late".

That's exactly what it was Anime hyper The errors should be fixed, now - thanks, everyone, for bringing them to our attention!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
it is sad to see Bjorn go, he was a pretty decent guy considering the circumstances. I'm finding Thorfinn somewhat dislikable as the series goes on, especially the part where he tells Leif that he can't understand what he has gone through. After all it was his choice to follow his father and cause his death, and then his choice to go after Askeladd. I see little reason to feel sorry for him when he was the one who chose to give up a safe place to live.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
^ You're not *supposed* to like what Thorfinn is now. That's why they put the part where Leif contrasts the Thorfinn of now and the Thorfinn of before his father's death. Thorfinn was twisted by what happened, and running into Leif again isn't going to untwist it. Thorfinn asking about Vinland only reinforces the ruined landscape of his soul.

At the moment, it doesn't seem like there's a way to save Thorfinn. If there is such a way, it won't be quick or easy. Certainly the appearance of a beloved figure from the past isn't going to do it, nor will killing Askeladd, if he manages to do so (in a fair fight, Askeladd is dead, but Askeladd doesn't fight fair). IMO, one of the main topics of the show is *about* how Thorfinn overcomes what has happened to him, so you not liking him right now is exactly what the show is trying to achieve.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, thorfinn is what ? 15 ? at best you feel sorry for what has happened to him, like leif seems to have felt.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Thorfinn was twisted by what happened, and running into Leif again isn't going to untwist it.

I would disagree with the idea that Thorfinn was a mere spectator even if he was a kid, he had the option when his father was killed of returning with Leif to Iceland but he choose yet again to hide in a boat to go where he knew he was not supposed to go. He could have stayed home, he could have returned home and now Leif offers him yet again an opportunity to leave everything behind and he rejects it again. Thorfinn has become the poster child of what happens if you let your emotions take full control of your life.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
it is sad to see Bjorn go, he was a pretty decent guy considering the circumstances. I'm finding Thorfinn somewhat dislikable as the series goes on, especially the part where he tells Leif that he can't understand what he has gone through. After all it was his choice to follow his father and cause his death, and then his choice to go after Askeladd. I see little reason to feel sorry for him when he was the one who chose to give up a safe place to live.

I mean... Bjorn was a raider who pillage and killed innocent people, so I dunno about decent guy, it's not like this is a post apocalyptic world where they have literally no other alternative to raiding. Sure being a farmer is boring, but that doesn't justify what he's done.

Similar for Thorfinn, he's not just somewhat dislikable, at least you can kind of sorta (if you really stretch) justify Askelad and Kanute machination since they're trying to build something better, but Thorfinn has 0 intention of making the world better trough his action.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't wanna say too much but yeah, you're not really supposed to like Thorfinn as he is now. I guess everything depends on whether this show gets a 2nd season or what WIT decides to add/alter in regards to the ending of this season.

If this show does get a 2nd season, then spoiler[it's basically gonna be 20+ episodes of Thorfinn's redemption arc.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that arc is pretty amazing.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Lots of parental issues these characters have: Thorfinn trying to Kill Askeladd who killed his father, Askeladd killed his father for the way he treated his mother, Canute's father is actively trying to kill him...
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It's seriously annoying how he's trying to kill Askeladd but makes the same mistake EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

You can't kill him if you don't use your head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13