EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho 101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I cant believe in this day and age, in an site aimed at "otaku" fans people are complaining about a fan service character.....

And honestly I wouldn't care if people had those opinions if it wasn't for the fact they always ruin everything for everyone else. .

To your first point you're actually being rather ignorant by painting every otaku here with the same brush. You apparently seem to think that we're all the same and have the same thoughts. We don't. TO be an otaku here by your apparent definition we all have to like fanservice. Not everyone here likes the same things. Some like shonen, and some do not. Some like slice of life, and some do not. Some like T&A and fanservice, and some do not. The fact is not everyone here likes the same thing nor do they all go along with your own personal view and opinion on shows. So maybe you should try not painting every fan with same brush simply to justify your own fan rage because the reviewer didn't agree with your opinion on a show.

As to your second point the only one that ruins your enjoyment of a show for you is yourself. Nobody is there in your room heckling you as you watch the show. If you can't simply ignore reviews or opinions you don't agree with and enjoy your show that's your problem and that's on you. Nobody else.

thezentris wrote:
If you're lowering your expectations hopefully we'll stop reading about how crap every episode is.

Or here's a grand idea...just stop reading the reviews. If you don't agree with the review that's fine, but whining and being rude because not everyone has the same opinion as you is not.

Now how about everyone keep in mind that you can disagree with the review all you like, but personal insults and comments towards the reviewer, or fans with differing opinions, will not be tolerated.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Cave wrote:

How DARE she not be this super strong woman. How DARE she be a damsel in distress. How DARE she be weak when the guy she respected suddenly turns traitor and literally beats her up so much that she can barely move. How DARE she not have the typical shounen "I got beat up and now I've suddenly become stronger trope"! How DARE she be shown sexy. How DARE she not live up to MY expectations.

It's not about "how DARE she", she is fictional character, so about how her creators made her character and decided what will happen to her. When every guy around her is super strong shounen determinator guy, and she is supposed to be their equal, and the show already made "damsel in distress" plot with the nun just before, then yeah, how dare they pull that BS on every female character that didn't almost disappear like Maki. They even make her ask Shinra for help against senior and stronger firefighter, then go back to her pillar. Also the biggest problem with "sexy" was that she was shown sexy when she was in her shock we were supposed to empathise with, and then we are reminded that she is just a designated fanservice character, no need to take her seriously.

Cave wrote:

Just stupid. And this is why I don't like to read ANN reviews. smfh This is the kind of thing that is actually really sexist. You think it's sexist because a female character is shown as weak and has her clothes torn off? NO. This article is sexist because it's saying how a female character is supposed to be. That a female character is not allowed to be weak or sexy.

This is sexist because the way the're made sexy is the old trope from B movies and trash books covers showing hero and his reward in form of rescued girl, and it was already applied to two female characters without any in-show reason, one of them supposed to be a soldier roughly equal to Arthur and Shinra. The other female characters either fell in love in Shinra immediately after unconvincing shounen hero speech that un-villained her, or in case of the only one consistently shown as strong - mostly disappered. Maki barely did anything in the assault on 8th.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
You should probably mention that the show is going on hiatus for three weeks due to some kind of sports event in Japan.
Tanteikingdomkey
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
I continue having obi be my favorite character in fire force...
that said though holy shit they actually have a strong and great character in Hinawa. I have not seen an actually good version of this type of character since ouran. Normally they just get tried as a justification for the reason the plot can happen (I mean even in ouran he almost never came about) so having one who actually is more then just the smart straight man who actually makes a lot of sense for why he is there is a massive plus in term of character dynamics in my book.

And that is one thing I think people tend to ignore but is actually super important. and that is something that the mangaka (except for one big misstep) does really well I think. When you look at soul eater for example one thing you could never say is that you don't know exactly who everyone of the main cast are. and you actually do totally buy into their relationships and that they genuinely are close to each other. the same goes for this series as well I feel.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
One neat thing I realized at the end of episode 11 is that the 7th Company and the term hikeshi (fire extinguisher, as an action/profession, not the modern household object) that they call Benimaru's squad, are tied together with a stylized character that can be read as both 7 (七) and "hi" (ヒ).
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Shinmon has actually saved the show for me. He's fun to watch in action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8