• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leongsh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
James, Episode 18 is consistent with the manga. Covers chapters 63 to ⅓ of 66. It's not anime-only filler. What this episode covers is to provide the basis for some power-up and more equipment that will play its part later. If there was no training bit here, you would very likely complaint about ass-pull power-up later. You can't have your cake here and eat it later.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
James, Episode 18 is consistent with the manga. Covers chapters 63 to ⅓ of 66. It's not anime-only filler. What this episode covers is to provide the basis for some power-up and more equipment that will play its part later. If there was no training bit here, you would very likely complaint about ass-pull power-up later. You can't have your cake here and eat it later.

Completely agree with this post. Episodes like this may not be exciting but they are necessary. And come on man an arc just ended we can't just jump right into another one without any sort of break whatsoever.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:

This.

It wasn't a bad episode. I feel bad for Shinra though because I tried that hand sign and I got to tell you that seems like a bitch to try to hold.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
leongsh wrote:

Completely agree with this post. Episodes like this may not be exciting but they are necessary. And come on man an arc just ended we can't just jump right into another one without any sort of break whatsoever.

But episodes like this that are necessary can also be exciting, interesting, funny etc. Like James said, it was harmless but also kinda boring for him. It didn't have to be kinda boring.

Yes of course if there was no training then their new powers would come out of nowhere. The issue isn't that there was training, it's that it wasn't very interesting for him.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Replying a bit late, but what's up with the new OP since episode 15? It feels out of place with the music, and the first ~30 seconds (of a 1:30 OP!) is effectively just some CG text over the church with some effects applied to it.

Maybe some other song was originally intended? Animators just threw something together at the last minute?
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
LuffyTDS wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
leongsh wrote:

But episodes like this that are necessary can also be exciting, interesting, funny etc. Like James said, it was harmless but also kinda boring for him. It didn't have to be kinda boring.

Yes of course if there was no training then their new powers would come out of nowhere. The issue isn't that there was training, it's that it wasn't very interesting for him.

The episode does have funny moments they just don't really land with the reviewer because he seems to hate Okubo's humor. And you act like the episode wasn't interesting or exciting at all which I personally don't agree with. I mean how interesting and exciting can training and set up get anyway? Some series would have dragged out something like this for multiple episodes so I think the training and set up in the episode was actually handled pretty well. But as usual the reviewer finds something to complain about instead of something to be happy about. I mean the series isn't amazing or anything but half the time the guy makes it sound like mediocre garbage.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:

The episode does have funny moments they just don't really land with the reviewer because he seems to hate Okubo's humor. And you act like the episode wasn't interesting or exciting at all which I personally don't agree with. I mean how interesting and exciting can training and set up get anyway? Some series would have dragged out something like this for multiple episodes so I think the training and set up in the episode was actually handled pretty well. But as usual the reviewer finds something to complain about instead of something to be happy about. I mean the series isn't amazing or anything but half the time the guy makes it sound like mediocre garbage.

I actually didn't give my opinion on the episode at all, but yeah, that's all subjective. Some won't find it funny or interesting and will think the show is mediocre or even worse, there's nothing wrong with that or with liking it. And in-between arc chapters/episodes can be great. Look at One Piece for example, some of the fandoms biggest hype moments come in between arcs when we're focusing on set up and worldbuilding. And recently the training episodes of Kimetsu no Yaiba in my opinion were much better than a lot of the "more important" episodes.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
LuffyTDS wrote:

I actually didn't give my opinion on the episode at all, but yeah, that's all subjective. Some won't find it funny or interesting and will think the show is mediocre or even worse, there's nothing wrong with that or with liking it. And in-between arc chapters/episodes can be great. Look at One Piece for example, some of the fandoms biggest hype moments come in between arcs when we're focusing on set up and worldbuilding. And recently the training episodes of Kimetsu no Yaiba in my opinion were much better than a lot of the "more important" episodes.

My bad it sounded like you agreed with the reviewer about the episode I apologize. I have no problem with people disliking the series, but most of the things I see being complained about in the reviews on this series are present in pretty much every shonen battle series. Fanservice and goofy jokes for instance are pretty common in battle shonen but I have never seen them hated on this much. The reviewer even insults the author at times in the reviews. I mean geez mangaka work pretty damn hard show a little respect.

Now maybe I come off as aggressive in my posts and if I do I apologize to anyone bothered by them including the reviewer. I think that it's fine to criticise series and I hope people continue to, but it should be done in a reasonable way and it just doesn't feel like that's being done in these reviews imo.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, not to "moderate for the mods" but I think you should consider not "over-quoting" as the posts are getting large. Maybe just respond to the last iteration(?)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Fanservice and goofy jokes for instance are pretty common in battle shonen but I have never seen them hated on this much.

I don't mind fan-service. I don't like it when it is poorly used and interrupts the otherwise hard-fought tone a scene is setting, though. I think very few people in this thread have complained about the show simply having fan-service; the complaints are about the way in which it has specifically deployed fan-service.

I don't generally bother with similar critiques of other shounen mostly because outside of very specific arcs (like, say, the Naruto: Shippuden Pain arc -- a tremendously executed experience all the way around, but embedded in a series that for the most part was middling in quality throughout its very long run), I don't think they ever make me think they aspire to being much more than enjoyable popcorn fare. That's how I treat Black Clover, for example; it's an alright watch when I'm bored, but it's pretty clear it is not going to pull off any sort of anime-of-the-year upset in any notable respect any century soon.

Fire Force isn't quite that. Fire Force is in some respects quite brilliant; the artwork is often gorgeous, and in a few stills close to jaw-dropping. The emotional tension and payoff in key moments has never really been spectacular, but in a few important scenes they really did have a decent thing going until they unnecessarily disrupted they tone they'd built.

That's why on rare occasion I take the time to critique Fire Force like this, but not the Black Clover's of the world. Fire Force makes me think it could achieve quite a bit more than just being alright popcorn fare; sometimes it even very clearly puts in the work to achieve pretty respectable emotional highs. But it pretty consistently sabotages itself in the process, and it's disappointment that it clearly could be a lot better than it is if it just stopped shooting itself in the foot that makes me want to still comment on it.

Secondarily (for me; this may be primary for others), I also think most shounen fan-service is not nearly as degrading to the characters involved as the way in which Tamaki in particular has been deployed in Fire Force. That, too, calls for special comment.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Fire Force makes me think it could achieve quite a bit more than just being alright popcorn fare; sometimes it even very clearly puts in the work to achieve pretty respectable emotional highs. But it pretty consistently sabotages itself in the process, and it's disappointment that it clearly could be a lot better than it is if it just stopped shooting itself in the foot that makes me want to still comment on it.

Secondarily (for me; this may be primary for others), I also think most shounen fan-service is not nearly as degrading to the characters involved as the way in which Tamaki in particular has been deployed in Fire Force. That, too, calls for special comment.

This, here.

Also, I've given nearly every episode of the show a positive review overall, and I can't recall ever giving a score lower than this week's episode, which at 2.5, still isn't even all that negative; it's just right in the middle, as in "meh". I might have given a 2 out once, but I definitely haven't been hating on the show, since I have by definition been giving the show a more-or-less positive score every week. I'm going to give some thoughts on what doesn't work in each episode, since that is the whole point of a review. I also don't care if it's a shonen trope - if the comedy doesn't work, or if the fan service is distracting, or if the story is clunky or obvious in a way that could obviously have been done better, it deserves being talked about, even if some folks are willing to give it a pass based on the genre alone.

That's all from me. Long live Sil-burro, forever may he reign.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

That's part of the appeal, though. Something people seem to often overlook when it comes to titillation.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know how to quote multiple people and I don't want make multiple posts so hopefully this is ok.

@NeverConvex. I actually agree with you on a few things here. The fanservice at times has hurt the serious tone of a scene that I can agree with. The fight against Rekka is a good example of fanservice hurting the scene, but I don't think it ruined the fight or anything. Would it have been better without it? Maybe, but this is how things are in the world of Fire Force and in Okubo's other series Soul Eater as well. His works have a serious tone overall but both series are crazy and kinda wacky, the kinda series where anything can happen at any time no matter how ridiculous that's part of their charm. I can understand why people may not like things like that, but I think the randomness of the series is one of the things that makes the series fun and helps it stand out from the crowd a bit.

@James_Beckett I would like to say something before I continue my post just in case. If I have come off as hostile in any of my posts I apologize, it was never my intention to come off that way. Anyway, I know it's you're job as a reviewer to go through the episode and find the things that do and don't work, but I don't think you do it in a fair way.

You almost always focus on the negatives of the series, only really praising it for things like its fights and animation. The most recent review is a good example of this. You described the episode as a middle of the road time killer and said you wouldn't be surprised if it was filler, but how could that be the case if some of things in the episode are obviously important? You also said it felt like the series was padding for time, but don't you think their should be at least some kind of break between arcs? You also complained about the episode not having any real stakes or drama, but what could really be at stake in a training match between allies? Do you see what im saying? You always jump to the negatives in the written portion of the review which says a lot more about you're feelings towards the series than a score put at the end.

@NeverConvex and James_Beckett. Oh and I can't tell if you two are aware of this or not based on your posts but shonen isn't a genre its a demographic. It just means that the target audience for the series is boys between the ages of 12 and 18. Oh and if you ever wanna pin the target age down better a little better you gotta check the magazine that the series is published in. Fire Force for instance runs in Weekly Shonen Magazine where series usually have more sexual content so its target audience is closer to 18.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
...this is how things are in the world of Fire Force and in Okubo's other series Soul Eater as well. His works have a serious tone overall but both series are crazy and kinda wacky, the kinda series where anything can happen at any time no matter how ridiculous that's part of their charm.

Off the top of my head, I don't really agree with this comparison. I don't remember the same kind of consistent clash of tone being a problem in Soul Eater. I adored Soul Eater, and have a much smaller list of complaints about it (most of those pertaining to what I later came to understand was an anime-only ending that seemed pretty clumsy).

It would be quite a bit of work to dig up specific scenes and discuss that substantively, and doing so would pull us pretty far from the main topic of this thread, though, so I'll let it go having said that.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
...this is how things are in the world of Fire Force and in Okubo's other series Soul Eater as well. His works have a serious tone overall but both series are crazy and kinda wacky, the kinda series where anything can happen at any time no matter how ridiculous that's part of their charm.

Off the top of my head, I don't really agree with this comparison. I don't remember the same kind of consistent clash of tone being a problem in Soul Eater. I adored Soul Eater, and have a much smaller list of complaints about it (most of those pertaining to what I later came to understand was an anime-only ending that seemed pretty clumsy).

It would be quite a bit of work to dig up specific scenes and discuss that substantively, and doing so would pull us pretty far from the main topic of this thread, though, so I'll let it go havin9g said that.

If you only saw the anime of Soul Eater I can understand why you would think that. The anime cut out and changed quite a bit from the manga, so the similarities between it and Fire Force aren't as noticeable to people who haven't read it. Between the two manga I actually think Fire Force is a bit more serious and less wacky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17