• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure they will like the characters more if they saw more of them? Because really, I don't think the anime did anything to make them unlikeable, even if the description is perhaps not as deep as it could have been.

I did notice the absence of Beast Nation and Empire. On the other hand, the probability of getting a Season 2 has always been low, so doing things convenient for that is not a priority.

Further, throwing them back in will be about an episode, so Book 3 doesn't start until Episode 9. I don't think they can shorten the events of Book 3 much beyond the current compression (3 episodes), so now you don't have enough space for Book 4.

I guess you can try to crush the current Episode 11 into two minutes of flashback, but it is an important episode in its own right for its character buidling value, not just a day in the park, and remembering that it is usually more important to sell the characters than the plot in these things, the decision to preserve Episode 11 is probably the correct one.

The only way I can see this working is if you just accept Book 3 as the end state, and throw back in some of that inn stuff in Book 2 and some of the people trying to get Shea in the beginning of Book 3 to fill it to 13 episodes. But Book 3's ending is IMO too much of an interlude (even without the Kaori factor) to accept as a good season end.

And Episodes 1-5 are also rather jam-packed, so I cannot see using some of their space...

Do you have any ideas?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think they just tried to jam in too many chapters. If as you said, they only planned for 12 episodes and just went for broke. Well, it shows. They literally traveled from the Riesen Gorge to the Big Tree at warp speed. It was very painful watching that.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 is the episode that I've been waiting to see, but my god, that was some of the nastiest CG use I've seen from a series of full-length episodes in many years. Still looking forward to the reunion next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rob49152

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought ep 12 was the finale! I kept cursing thinking the show wouldn't show the reunion with his classmates (or that would be the season cliffhanger). Because that's just the way this show screws with your hopes. I deals with subverting expectations as well as the last jedi.

I was actually surprised there was a 13th episode.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
^
Funimation is listing the series as having 14 episodes, but it's unclear whether that includes the recap episode or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
14th ep is an OVA in Dec
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And it does manage one almost-affecting segment right towards the end, courtesy of Yue and Shizuku, who seem to be the only halfway-intelligent members of the party that we actually spent time getting to know.
Err, that would be Kaori and Shizuku. Kaori is the healer girl who loves Hajime and is his classmate. Yue is the blond vampire who's Hajime's main girl.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
So, we have Episode 12 and now we have the Episode 12 review.
Again I feel obliged to defend poor Arifureta a little bit. I agree the interconnected flashbacks imply some pretty weird timings. Part of the problem is that the fight had more characters originally but if they actually used that many it'll be one of the most expensive fights for this class of adaptation, and further they already spent as much time as possible on the fight. There is probably insufficient room to display the fight in its full complexity, even if the budget was infinite.

As far as the classmate issue is concerned.

1) There is not much choice, because this is 4 books with only 13 episodes to do them, and most adaptations don't suffer from the disadvantage of having to cover other people as well.
In any case I'm not sure what other option can be had, since Books 2 and 3 just don't have good landing spots to finish an anime adaptation on, and a plan that would end the series before the regular party is assembled will just never be approved.

2) You are probably indeed not supposed to feel too much for the classmates. Even in the Light Novels, the classmate bits are small and scattered. Though since you can get into more detail in the LN inevitably they got proportionately more detailed, the anime is a faithful recreation of their relative percentage allocations in the novel.
The basic problem is that to Hajime, they really are nobodies. Just because they are classmates doesn't mean there are particular relationships, especially when you are the bullied class nerd.

If anything, had those classmates been "properly developed", there would be a mismatch between how much the viewer cares about the subcharacters and how much Hajime does. And when Hajime comes within inches of refusing to save them, he'll look pretty bad (especially since he's so OP now). To avoid that happening, both the light novel and the anime had to compromise between showing these subcharacters as people, letting readers know what they are doing, and keeping their sizes in the reader's heart small.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
They should have realized they needed 24 episodes. They have taken what should have been a joy to fans, and made it into a hot mess.

They have failed royally in adapting this show.

I would say it even fails at promoting the light novel and manga, cause looking at all the comments throughout its run, most people don't like it. As a fan, I could live with an adaptation being a bit different as long as it is good.

But this adaption is not even coherent, and literally too many flashbacks (which are not even good themselves).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I did read the novels (the ones available here in America) after seeing the first 2 episodes, and I agree with Tars that the anime did a terrible job of adapting the content. From a story perspective, they cut out or rearranged so much that it was barely coherent, and in many places *not* coherent. From an artistic perspective, the use of CGI was uniformly awful. The designs of the characters was fine, and the backgrounds were okay, too. But yeah, that CGI was just overwhelmingly bad.

I said earlier in this thread that it seemed like the anime studio was purposely undermining the show. It still seems that way. Yeah, I know it's a paranoid thing to say, but it's hard to imagine anyone *unintentionally* being this ham-handed. But, now that I think of it, Cop Craft was pretty bad, too. So maybe I shouldn't put ill intent on simple incompetence.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
I actually checked out the novels BECAUSE of how bad the anime was, somtheres at least that.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
What boggles me is that it got its second cour automatically. I assume contracts where already signed because I would never have given over extra money for the series based on its first season. I really hope the source material was much better written. The whole season came over as a shallow wish fulfilment. Yue was the best written of the accompanying harem and she got less character development then Shinobu from Love Hina (old anime reference) (1 episode). My most enjoyment from this series has been from seeing how outrageous it will be from episode to episode.

Now I dont want to be too negative since it seems to have been abridged heavily as we discussed before. There are hints of interesting developments around. And they actually show some comradeship that enjoyable to follow. But they are so undercooked and smothered in random lusting females.

*edit* My personal rating will be: An ironic watch out of Weak isekai competition
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the books are pretty solid. Pretty similar to KonoSuba, only instead of a bunch of fudge-ups, we get a party of cringed, "edges" chuunis. The whole thing is basically an affectionate parody of all the cheesiest excesses of 90s anime wrapped up in an Isekai parody.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What boggles me is that it got its second cour automatically.

I think this only happened due fanbase popularity and good streaming numbers.

It was apparently one of the top recorded late night anime in Japan, and the top shows on some international streaming platforms.
I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of them were loyal Arifureta fans willing to support the franchise as a whole despite the problematic nature of the production.

Also, it was one of the most popularly viewed anime on mainland Chinese streaming site bilibili (Ratings were quite low though).
https://i.imgur.com/UKRldEq.png

Like how Shield Hero's producers said the streaming viewer numbers (esp. Cruncyroll's) were a prime factor in deciding its sequel season.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Curious. I guess silly and sexy can sell even with low quality. Of course when I was a late teen in my early hardcore fandom days I didn't care much about that stuff. I liked things like Vandred and Ranma 1/2 just for being silly and fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7