• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Breaks Out in Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio Building

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
From what my friends are translating from Japanese twitter feeds, he apparently was pouring gasoline on people as well as on the building.
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
Morry wrote:
I think we can safely say that this arsonist will be enjoying a very long time in a cold hard cell for this. What a vile person.

Several people have died which means he'll most likely get the death penalty.

I thought arson would have already netted the guy a death penalty over there.
A quick Google search says that capital punishment in Japan is only carried out for cases of murder, either in cases of multiple people or in cases where unusual cruelty like torture was involved. Arson alone wouldn't be enough for the death penalty according to those guidelines, but now we have multiple deaths. I guess it boils down to the arsonist's intention. If he did it purely to vandalize and not to kill, then the death penalty wouldn't be applied, but if he did dump gasoline on people, then that's definitely an intent to kill. But that's something for the courts to decide on when this inevitably goes to trial.

Last edited by Perfect Chaos on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
boznia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Holy... I never thought I'd see something like this. To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of KyoAni's productions like a lot of other people are, but I greatly respected their work, especially their animation.

This is a massive tragedy for the anime industry, and in general. Rest in peace to all those who lost their lives.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Chaos wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
Morry wrote:
I think we can safely say that this arsonist will be enjoying a very long time in a cold hard cell for this. What a vile person.

Several people have died which means he'll most likely get the death penalty.

I thought arson would have already netted the guy a death penalty over there.
A quick Google search says that capital punishment in Japan is only carried out for cases of murder, either in cases of multiple people or in cases where unusual cruelty like torture was involved. Arson alone wouldn't be enough for the death penalty according to those guidelines, but now we have multiple deaths. I guess it boils down to the arsonist's intention. If he did it purely to vandalize and not to kill, then the death penalty wouldn't be applied, but if he did dump gasoline on people, then that's definitely an intent to kill. But that's something for the courts to decide on when this inevitably goes to trial.

Well, if it turns out to be true that he was ALSO pouring gasoline directly on employees like the other poster suggested, then it is safe to assume his intentions were indeed beyond vandalism and include intent to murder.

Last edited by animemaster1 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, god. Why? It’s just too much to comprehend. My condolences go out to everyone affected by this at Kyoto Animation and RIP to those who have lost their lives. Damnit, I love this studio and seeing this is awful.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about how anime productions will be affected. The real tragedy is the loss of human lives. R.I.P. to all who died.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:

Well, if it turns out to be true that he was ALSO pouring gasoline directly on employees like the other poster suggested, then it is safe to assume his intentions were indeed beyond vandalism and include intent to murder.

And if it does, then what motive would he have? Was he an employee pissed off at the company he once worked for, a terrorist who easily could have burned down more buildings or people had he not been stopped, some disgruntled Kyoto Animation hater that wanted to prove himself to the fans who love the company? Any and every possible explanation's still up in the air until they find out, and that's the worrisome part.

Part of me even thinks we may never even get an explanation at all given that he caused murder.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm officially disgusted. And since the suspect admitted it, he can go straight to hell
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Who cares about how anime productions will be affected. The real tragedy is the loss of human lives. R.I.P. to all who died.

Everyone copes with tragedy in different ways. For a lot of people, getting back to a sense of normalcy is the best coping method. And, in this case, normalcy involves regularly scheduled programming. It may sound callous to some people, but to others, it's their way of trying to deal with what happened.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
This man is pretty much condemned to death, especially if it's a disgruntled employee which explains why he threw gasoline on employees, but I still suspect this is a random act of violence from an evil crazy man.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Any potential production delays would be the last thing I'm concerned about here. I'm glad the guy was caught and can only send prayers from afar to the friends and family of those affected. Very sad to hear that deaths have been confirmed. As with all crimes, this was such a senseless act.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
why...just why?
I know that is a common reaction but, what else can you say in the face of something like this.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
If he had time to get near people and pour gas on them then how did no one stop him? I mean it's tragic, and my heart goes out to the families, but I still wonder on the logistics part.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Not always a fan of Kyoani's work. But the sleazebag that committed arson on the studio better rot in prison for the rest of his life for this, especially with the news coming out of multiple deaths resulting from this tragedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aayuo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
How sad...

That production building is completely gone.
Here is a picture from NHK's live stream:

This will surely massively delay all of their current productions.

I just hope Kyoto Animation as a company will be able to survive this.
Margins are so slim and a major financial disaster like this, combined with the loss of a lot of staff (some killed, some injured, some might even quit now), all this combined might be too much.

Let's hope for a recovery.
And best wishes and caring thoughts go to everyone involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5