• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
A few things to keep in mind everyone:

First and foremost any sort of trolling done in this topic will be shut down without hesitation. That includes pointless "hope they burn in hell" type posts, discussions about KyoAni's financial situation which is entirely disrespectful to discuss right now, or any conspiracy theories about motives with no confirmation or proof. Be respectful and show some tact and decency, or don't post.

Secondly, this is not going to turn into a discussion on the death penalty. Be it in Japan, the US, or in general. So that discussion starting up can stop just as quickly.

Lastly, this article is about this tragedy. Not other people in the industry. If you don't want discussion about others, Yamakan, to be brought up then don't do it yourself.

Now let's all please stay respectful and show some decency during this horrible tragedy. Thank you.
Randomuser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Heard it multiple times on the news in my country. But man, I still can't grasp it. Just why?
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
My heart goes out to the families of all the victims. I hope they find comfort in knowing that their love one's work was so impactful to many of us.

I just can't understand why someone would do this? I don't even care about this idiot's reasoning. How can he/she think that this is ok? KyoAni faces a long recovery but I hope they come out even stronger than before. In the meantime, I hope all other anime/game/etc studios around the world take notice and increase security. This is just horrible.

Japanese (and really all countries in the world) police (or investigative) units need to start taking all these death threats, stalkers, etc., behaviors seriously. To many good people are dying because they don't have enough evidence. Twitter/facebook/etc., need to provide a system for auto reporting these incidents to a local officials. They've the technology and are just standing by.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
My whole day is out of whack from all this. I dread to see who all gets confirmed dead, but frankly it probably doesn't even matter, due to the sheer size of the calamity. Kyoto Animation might never be the same.
All I can say anymore is to hope and pray (if anyone is religious, at least) that KyoAni and its employees can recover from this. No matter how long it takes, the creators at KyoAni seem like wonderful people, and their studio has been a highlight of the industry. I don't want us all to lose that in a single blow from a madman.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know what to say about this truly sad, horrific event over in Kyoto, Japan. A lot of families and friends of people working in that anime studio without a doubt must be completely devastated and heartbroken. I mean, this just has to be like "the 9/11 of the anime industry" (sorry, I don't know if that is how I should put it).

In time, I really hope this iconic studio with its unforgettable anime get back on its feet so they can be able to create something even more beautiful (because now at this point, this studio will most likely go through some serious changes if it manages to keep going). I really don't want to see Kyoto Animation close down. I know as an anime fan, this is a studio that I just don't want to say good-bye to. It's very important we show our support. I hope everyone (victims, fans, etc.) recovers from what has happened.

KyoAni 4ever.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Truly a tragic day for the industry and the community. Work can be redone, buildings can be rebuilt, but those who were lost can’t be replaced. They are an important studio in many ways and I hope they can heal and come back from this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni will never be the same. Sure if the company founder and Director, who has survived BTW, recovers and rebuilds again too many talented people that were the backbone of what the company was are now sadly gone and any new staff will have a hard time following in their footsteps, so they just won't. They will do what they are talented for individually and that will cause the company to have a new and fresh production outlook. However having said that I fully expect the company name "Kyoto Animation" and "KyoAni" to be retired in honour of those lost in this tragic incident. Like the Titanic and The World Trade Centre in NYC, aka Twin Towers, all three of those names are now synonymous with tragic fatal events and will never be used as the name of another ship or building ever again. So I'll be very surprised if this recovered company, if it really does recover, has the same name here as well.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This was all I can think about all day heck even my co-workers who were not into anime or even knew who the company was were in shock and was upset too.

Truly a sad day for me cause back when Clannad After Story was airing I was borderline suicidal and the characters and story really helped me through those tough times.

I hope they can recover from this they are my favorite company cause of how they really helped me when I was feeling at my worst. I may not know any of the people who died, but I felt their passion while watching their works and it touched my heart so my prayers to all those that died. Crying or Very sad
Ian16545

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just got the news today. Hopefully they managed back up everything that wasn't completely lost, if it's any consolation.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not Kyoto Animation fan, but it's horrifying to read about death of 30+ animation staffers by a deranged man who set fire in a small, heavily occupied building.

Critical Question: We know that space is precious in urban areas of Japan, but were there any emergency exits, fire alarms, or sprinkler system installed in the building? For that matter, do local government even enforce fire safety code if they have one?

It's not new for anime studio(s) and staffs to get death threat from some crazy fans, but this incident is definitely crossing the line.

Correction: It seems like Kyoani building didn't have any emergency exits other than 2 main entrances and 2 stairways.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190718/k10011997791000.html?utm_int=detail_contents_news-related_002

Last edited by reanimator on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this on ABC World News. I heard “Kyoto Animations” and my heart just dropped. This the first time I’ve ever heard anime in the news for all the years I’ve worked for ABC. I wish it wasn't this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
As an anime fan and someone who had a relative literally die in a fire, this news is definitely sad and hard-hitting. I wouldn't say it made me sick - the comments from others about feeling sick made me moreso than the actual details - but even secondhand sickness shows how big an impact this has on all of us.

You know, it's been years since I've seen something KyoAni. I think I'll watch one of their shows in the near future. Something new, maybe a restart, not a rewatch.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any news posted about how the suspect was connected to the crime yet? I was trying to see if they were arrested at the site or if they were traced back to some other location, but haven't seen any word about those circumstances yet. It makes it so much worse to think that they may have just stood outside and watched.

Still feel sick about the whole thing. I sincerely hope those injured recover.
Cave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Has there been any news posted about how the suspect was connected to the crime yet? I was trying to see if they were arrested at the site or if they were traced back to some other location, but haven't seen any word about those circumstances yet. It makes it so much worse to think that they may have just stood outside and watched.

From reports I've seen, the suspect was arrested nearby. There is a video circulating around that someone took with their phone while driving by that shows the suspect on the ground with police over him.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:

According to NHK news, arsonist was caught fire while fleeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11