• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6330505

According to Yahoo news it looks like the suspect believed Kyo Ani had stolen a story/book idea from him and had a MASSIVE grudge
partially

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
According to the article posted on BBC World News. There are witnesses heard a suspect stating “you copied it” and “you ripped me off”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
KyoAni will never be the same. Sure if the company founder and Director, who has survived BTW, recovers and rebuilds again too many talented people that were the backbone of what the company was are now sadly gone and any new staff will have a hard time following in their footsteps, so they just won't. They will do what they are talented for individually and that will cause the company to have a new and fresh production outlook. However having said that I fully expect the company name "Kyoto Animation" and "KyoAni" to be retired in honour of those lost in this tragic incident. Like the Titanic and The World Trade Centre in NYC, aka Twin Towers, all three of those names are now synonymous with tragic fatal events and will never be used as the name of another ship or building ever again. So I'll be very surprised if this recovered company, if it really does recover, has the same name here as well.

"World Trade Center" is used for all the new towers in the complex, so on the other hand, I can't see why Kyoto Animation wouldn't continue under its moniker as a gesture of perseverance.

reanimator wrote:
I'm not Kyoto Animation fan, but it's horrifying to read about death of 30+ animation staffers by a deranged man who set fire in a small, heavily occupied building.

Critical Question: We know that space is precious in urban areas of Japan, but were there any emergency exits, fire alarms, or sprinkler system installed in the building? For that matter, do local government even enforce fire safety code if they have one?

It's not new for anime studio(s) and staffs to get death threat from some crazy fans, but this incident is definitely crossing the line.

Correction: It seems like Kyoani building didn't have any emergency exits other than 2 main entrances and 2 stairways.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190718/k10011997791000.html?utm_int=detail_contents_news-related_002

Yes, of course there are fire safety codes in Japan, and are among the strictest in the world because of earthquakes. However, as you said, this is a small building and doesn't require as much. If you ask why not, to put it into perspective, it would be like requiring a sprinkler system and fire escapes on a single-family detached residence. It's just not practical, and unfortunately you can't predict erratic crazies like this perpetrator who deliberately started the fire in the path of the fire exit.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
According to the article posted on BBC World News. There are witnesses heard a suspect stating “you copied it” and “you ripped me off”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

So, a bit like Dimmebag Darrel's death: Some lunatic thought his music was being stolen, so he shot him.

Dear Lord: This is revolting beyond belief. My condolences to those who lost loved ones, I'm a KyoAni fan myself, and I can't help but feel this is a great loss for anime, for Japan, and for Humanity at large.

I can only remember feeling this melancholic with the news when it was Chester's death.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
As for me, I find this whole incident infuriating. I actually didn't hear about it at all until I had finished work and gone home, but I definitely agree that the man who set this building on fire is a rare and pure kind of evil, and he needs to suffer for murdering so many people for reasons so petty.

Triltaison wrote:
Has there been any news posted about how the suspect was connected to the crime yet? I was trying to see if they were arrested at the site or if they were traced back to some other location, but haven't seen any word about those circumstances yet. It makes it so much worse to think that they may have just stood outside and watched.

Still feel sick about the whole thing. I sincerely hope those injured recover.

We'll probably find out over the coming days, but things point toward some sort of revenge against the company, based on what he was yelling. He was yelling for the people in the building to die as he was setting it on fire; he later told the police he felt Kyoto Animation had plagiarized from him.

As for where he was caught, he cops found and arrested him nearby, and by then, he had injured himself in the fire. He remained near the building as it was on fire (I'm not certain I'm reading it right, but it seems he stayed by the entrance and doused more gasoline on anyone running out of the entrance to set them directly on fire) until he was chased away by a Kyoto Animation survivor and caught by the police. Currently, he's in a hospital surrounded by police officers monitoring him. He has severe burns on his legs, chest, and face. He's in no condition to be interrogated, so he'll be treated first.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
scowler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never donated via GoFundMe until today.

Props to Sentai for setting it up and spreading the word so quickly.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I'm not Kyoto Animation fan, but it's horrifying to read about death of 30+ animation staffers by a deranged man who set fire in a small, heavily occupied building.

Critical Question: We know that space is precious in urban areas of Japan, but were there any emergency exits, fire alarms, or sprinkler system installed in the building? For that matter, do local government even enforce fire safety code if they have one?

It's not new for anime studio(s) and staffs to get death threat from some crazy fans, but this incident is definitely crossing the line.

Correction: It seems like Kyoani building didn't have any emergency exits other than 2 main entrances and 2 stairways.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190718/k10011997791000.html?utm_int=detail_contents_news-related_002

Yeah, this is where my thoughts keep going to. I'm deeply saddened by what happened but a part of me is angry that the loss could've been lessened by having a building that wasn't so closed off and badly ventilated. It makes complete sense that people would've died on the second and third floor when you look at how little exits there were, and how few windows there were. There was some tiny verandah people maybe could've fled off of, but beyond that...
What I really hope is that this causes Japan to look closer at building regulations and stuff. Especially for a building like an animation studio that will be filled with paper. Even though this was arson, so it was done on purpose, it does show that, if a fire had broken out through some accident like faulty wiring etc, the devastation could've been on a somewhat similar level just because of the building...
Upping security is all well and good but emergency exits, ventilation and stuff like automatic sprinklers are extremely important too...

Regarding the gofundme, I think it's very kind of Sentai and honestly Sentai doing it makes me trust them because they're one of the main licensors of KyoAni stuff, but I wish they'd elaborate more on where the money is going and what for. Even their statement from their president was vague.
Halko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I dont think that they even know exactly how the money will be used or distributed yet and thats why they havnt released more information. I have no doubt that it will be handled in a way that is respectful to those dead and those that donated but to ask for concrete clarification less than a single day after everything is a bit much. It will probably be weeks before any real concrete information about that will be decided.

Either way they did the right thing from a fundraiser perspective. People will open their wallets more freely when the wound is open and bleeding. It hurts the most now and people are more likely to help.
Matriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This news is just devastating. I read this at work and the tears just started flowing. So much talent gone from the world forever because of a senseless act of voilence.
I always respected and revered KyoAni, but after seeing A Silent Voice, they became one of my favorite studios. I wish for strength and peace for the friends and family members
of those who were lost, and a speedy recovery to those who were injured. Kyoto Animation will survive, that I'm sure of. I look forward to joy their next work will bring to the world.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Tragic for those who have lost friends/family. And, it does sound as if someone targeted them. More details will come forth, I'm sure, but these type of things are just horrible all round...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
KyoAni will never be the same. Sure if the company founder and Director, who has survived BTW, recovers and rebuilds again too many talented people that were the backbone of what the company was are now sadly gone and any new staff will have a hard time following in their footsteps, so they just won't. They will do what they are talented for individually and that will cause the company to have a new and fresh production outlook. However having said that I fully expect the company name "Kyoto Animation" and "KyoAni" to be retired in honour of those lost in this tragic incident. Like the Titanic and The World Trade Centre in NYC, aka Twin Towers, all three of those names are now synonymous with tragic fatal events and will never be used as the name of another ship or building ever again. So I'll be very surprised if this recovered company, if it really does recover, has the same name here as well.

They definitely will never be the same but I think they can survive and revive thanks to specifically who they are, how they do their business and the sympathy they engender.

They pay better, they treat their employees better, they salary employees, they develop talent. They have a tendency not to overstretch themselves. Although they lost a frightening amount of developed talent, I think their reputation and sympathy will allow them to recruit new talented staff that don't want to work in the Tokyo freelance system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Issued a statement regarding how the GFM funds will be distributed.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know where to begin with this. Crying or Very sad

Useless, senseless, tragic, infuriating. All I can hope is that the perp survives to be brought to justice, the truth of "why" comes to light, and the families of those who were lost can find the strength to go on. The same goes for KyoAni itself.

Just finished my GoFundMe pledge. As I write, $1,130,000 raised in 20 hours.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Sentai Issued a statement regarding how the GFM funds will be distributed.
Thanks so much for this! But, seriously, did anyone really believe Sentai wouldn't have given every dollar to the victim's families as if they would use it to dub the next amine? I'm in and it's passed $1M already!

P.S.Tsai Ing-wen (president of Taiwan) via Google Translate

"I know the news of the Kyoto animation arson murder case on the destination, and I am amazed and hurting (in) my heart. I also saw the visit of Prime Minister Abe's visit earlier.
Kyoto Animation is also a memory of youth for many in Taiwan.
We wish for the peace of mind of the deceased and the quick recovery of the injured."
Romanov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This is too much for fire safety planning to work as we hoped. They may be prepared for random fire accidents, but in this peaceful country, no one would expect a planned attack by an insane man directing at people's lives.

We should also focus on mental health issues. It is clear that man has lost the ability to reason. In this country people grow up in schools under intense bullying, go to work painfully long hours and are expected to devote their entire lives for their company in an office room. Seeing high suicide rates and high profile killings are proof of how Japan lacks focus on mental illnesses. I have been working in a Japanese company before, and now I am so glad to stay away from the Japanese work culture. It is the one and only reason which keeps me away from Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11