• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
The rest of the outlets are too busy spinning this to fit a narrative and claiming this as a "victory" against otaku and anime avatars. Scumbags.

In what way? Every mention I've seen of this incident in every news source I've found depicts it as the tragedy that it is, and most describe it simply as an animation studio.

Now, I've seen news sources that dedicated only a few seconds to it, having two sentences to describe it at most, but that isn't the same thing as a grudge,and they do it with any international coverage. (I've also found news sources that don't speak of it at all, but that's pretty normal of them because they cover only local news.)
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In what way? Every mention I've seen of this incident in every news source I've found depicts it as the tragedy that it is, and most describe it simply as an animation studio.

Now, I've seen news sources that dedicated only a few seconds to it, having two sentences to describe it at most, but that isn't the same thing as a grudge,and they do it with any international coverage. (I've also found news sources that don't speak of it at all, but that's pretty normal of them because they cover only local news.)

I've seen people calling out left-wing political commentator Jason Unruhe calling the guy a hero for stamping out "anime degeneracy".

But I've also seen tons of people upset at the New York Time's article for it's clickbait, politicized take on the issue that makes it sound like the studio was attacked because it dared to employ women in a male dominated industry. Although looking at it now they appear to have redacted a lot of the original article and changed the headline, although there are still some elements of it in there.

Not familiar with any others that may be out there.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
jellybeanbandit wrote:
The rest of the outlets are too busy spinning this to fit a narrative and claiming this as a "victory" against otaku and anime avatars. Scumbags.

The BBC had very good coverage of this tragedy. I'm wondering if what remains of the studio will try to stage a come back or is this the end for Kyoto Animation? If so then there's going to be a giant sucking hole in the anime industry for a long time to come.
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
I understand that other news sites politicizing this tragedy is tasteless, but let's not politicize it here too by bringing that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11