• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
The casualty count alone, never mind the current death toll (20) seems excessive.

I'm wondering about the same thing. One guy cannot carry awful lot of gasoline with him and people should easily outrun somebody dragging heavy jerrycan.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
Whoever is responsible deserves as many years as possible behind bars in a maximum security facility. What they did was despicable, and they should pay for their crimes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
Horrible crime. Death toll now 25 confirmed.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190718_51/

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I can't help but wonder what the circumstances here are, and I hope ANN reports them. E.G how was the arsonist able to cause so much damage without being noticed? Why were people unable to safely evacuate? Were safety regulations ignored (alarm failures, unsafe working conditions, overcrowded workspaces, etc.)?

Thank you for the feedback. We will keep this in mind as we decide what to cover regarding this incident.

I can say that NHK has released a map of the building (https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190718/k10011997791000.html), which shows an entrance (玄関) and an employee entrance (従業員用玄関) on the first floor, and shows the location of a stairwell on the West side (right in the images) as well as a note of a spiral stairwell right inside the entrance. NHK also notes there is an elevator in the building, and that aside from a few rooms, most of the space is open on each floor without walls or barriers. But since nothing has been reported on yet officially to answer your questions, we are not including this information yet in our articles.

We will work toward getting all the answers to questions readers have, but we will (as always) be taking an approach where we will not be reporting on anything until we are 100% sure that it is accurate and credible.

Last edited by Crystalyn on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote
Re-logged in for the first time in months to state how absolutely both tragic and unbelievable all of this is. I want to believe this is not real. 25 is a huge number of deaths.

If the GoFundMe gets approved, I will definitely add to it. My heart goes out to all the family and friends of Kyoto Animation.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
The casualty count alone, never mind the current death toll (20) seems excessive.

I'm wondering about the same thing. One guy cannot carry awful lot of gasoline with him and people should easily outrun somebody dragging heavy jerrycan.

I'm not exactly an expert on fires, but modern buildings can burn very quickly, and the smoke can be at least as dangerous as the fire itself. Most of the deaths were "cardiac arrest," not really sure what to make of that, but probably fumes-related, or something? From the few photos, that building doesn't seem to have fire escapes, maybe part of the problem.

But then again... "lunatic with 40 liters of gasoline" is not a situation any normal office building is prepared for, really. And we still know very little about the exact sequence of events. Mainly, I'm still hoping to wake up and realize this didn't really happen...
GrimaH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Most of the deaths were "cardiac arrest," not really sure what to make of that, but probably fumes-related, or something?

Due to some quirk of law, Japanese media can only report figures of dead people who have been certified by a doc. Corpses found on site are put under the "cardio-pulmonary arrest" status until then.
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I'd always heard that Japan had some of the best fire response teams and emergency services in the world, especially in the metropolitan areas. The casualty count alone, never mind the current death toll (20) seems excessive. I can't help but wonder what the circumstances here are, and I hope ANN reports them. E.G how was the arsonist able to cause so much damage without being noticed? Why were people unable to safely evacuate? Were safety regulations ignored (alarm failures, unsafe working conditions, overcrowded workspaces, etc.)?

This is animation studio. Let's think about all these tons of paper, inks, other chemicals... Stopping such fire is extremely hard and normal anti-fire systems might be not enough (it might even require cutting off entirety of air, which... is bad for people too), and smoke might be far more toxic. If the fire started on first floor people might have been cut off from evacuation routes and panicked.
It's like one of the most scary places for fire to start. If what I have read somewhere (that their main animation frames were stored on first floor and all burned) it would mean first floor might have a lot of storage space, filled with these.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder about those 5 people with "safety unknown". Is it just the difference between the 73 people in the building and the numbers released for the dead/injured/safe, or are they people actually unaccounted for? I hope its the former...
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
Sad sad news, love the anime they've brought to us.

Clannad among others, fmp the list goes on and on

sad indeed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
People allegedly (as in the motive of the arsonist) died over fiction.

This wasn’t a disgruntled employee, some sort of weird scheme, but a mentally disturbed man allegedly upset over their content.

It is sickening.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
I wonder about those 5 people with "safety unknown". Is it just the difference between the 73 people in the building and the numbers released for the dead/injured/safe, or are they people actually unaccounted for? I hope its the former...

To be clear:
It's been reported 73 people were in the building.

Of those:
-36 people are injured (10 seriously)
-25 people are confirmed dead
-7 people are confirmed safe
-5 people unaccounted for

Those numbers (36+25+7+5) add up to 73. As soon as authorities report on the status of those five people, we will update our article or write a new one.

Edit: and they just confirmed 33 total deaths on NHK, so we will update our article now.

Last edited by Crystalyn on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am Reply with quote
Senseless murder. I just hope the perp is a disgruntled former employee or something related, and not a demented otaku. (can smell the tar being heated as I type) Mad
Takagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11