• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force Anime Cancels Airing, Streaming of 3rd Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Dont understand the delay since fires are a daily occurrence and the anime highlights the valiant efforts of firefighters. Further the anime is about self immolation not villainous arson.

As far I remember from the manga, the 3rd episode will have scenes where the villain trapped the main characters inside a burning building, then blew it at the end.

While the circumstances in the anime are different (namely no death since everyone inside are magical fire fighters), it still hit way too close home with what happened yesterday. So it's undertandable that they'll halt the 3rd episode airing.

They won't cancel the entire show, Fire Force is 48 episodes long (split into two 2 cours). Even if they could delay it until next year (when the 2nd season supposed to happen), then they'd have to book another two cour slot for the 2nd season.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
Dont understand the delay since fires are a daily occurrence and the anime highlights the valiant efforts of firefighters. Further the anime is about self immolation not villainous arson.

This is the biggest post-war massacre to happen in Japan. It's a big historical occurrence, not just some everyday fire.

Not quite accurate, "The attack was the worst mass killing in the country since a 2001 arson attack on a building in Tokyo's Kabukicho district, which killed 44 people." (CNN).

Still bad nevertheless, but not the worst mass-killing since WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myojo_56_building_fire

The difference is that the 2001 one is suspected arson with no arsonist arrested, the ones that got arrested were for negligence and not following fire procedures. the kyoani one is confirmed to be thw work of an arsonist as they even arrested the culprit.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
Considering the Kyoto animation fire that killed 33 staff members and left a lot of the survivors severely injured literally just happened and this is a show about people who use the power of fire it’s pretty understandable to delay an episode for now
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Toonami is confirming they have the rights to Fire Force so I guess this means the show itself isn't canceled and it's just a one week delay. The delay was the right thing to do to show respect for the victims and their families. It happened with the Madoka finale too and anime fans handled it fine having to wait a bit longer. https://twitter.com/toonaminews/status/1152244942720458764
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
^

I'd of assumed Heather's was completely dropped for other reasons, and not because of the shooting. The show already had backlash the moment they announced casting. I'm pretty sure people celebrated it's cancellation.

You also gutted the part where I said I understand postponing a show for a week out of respect, but not outright canceling altogether because objectively that's a lot of money and work for people to be out of.

Obviously I'm being more practical then I am emotional, and I know it'll rub people the wrong way.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
They're now saying that they still don't know yet what the plans are for Fire Force on Toonami if the delay goes further than a week so it seems it's still up in the air what they plan to do with the show. https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/1152260503625801728
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're now saying that they still don't know yet what the plans are for Fire Force on Toonami if the delay goes further than a week so it seems it's still up in the air what they plan to do with the show. https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/1152260503625801728

Is that just for the third episode though? Because they are still showing all the advertisements for the first episode to air on the 27th, and it's also pinned.

I mean if the delay goes on longer then a week Toonami could always just put filler in it's place for the duration.

I wouldn't think Toonami would announce it if they plan was to cancel the show altogether.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
People were speculating about Fire Force on Twitter yesterday, so I’m not surprised. It makes a lot of sense to hold off on a show about bursting into flames right now. I’m also assuming that the people working on Fire Force lost peers in the industry they personally knew...I can’t imagine they want to work on the show right now, and I doubt all the episodes are completed.

The anime industry needs to mourn. They haven’t even released the names of the deceased yet. This is going to be a process, and it’s going to take time, even for the people who weren’t directly affected, to come to terms with this awful tragedy. As fans, we owe it to the anime industry to be patient and understanding.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
That Gintama ep which dealt with an arsonist, too, probably won't get a re-run soon, either.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
One thing I've always appreciated about Japanese media is that they've always been quite sensitive & considerate in circumstances such as this. I recall an episode of a certain show being delayed following the 2004 tsunami, due to having similar imagery, while Coppelion was pushed back & reworked for over a year following the Fukushima meltdown, with any mention of nuclear energy ultimately being stripped out.

It's hard to say what the immediate future of Fire Force is. On one hand, there's almost too much riding on it to stop this early. On the other, I can't imagine public appetite will be particularly strong right now, let alone the poor animators having to draw scenes of immolation, knowing what's befalling their colleagues. The anime industry is extremely tight-knit & interconnected - this will have hit most of the studios & their employees extremely hard. It's quite possible some kind of mandate will end up coming from above
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
A few tasteless posts, and responses to them, have been removed. Show some tact and decency in these topics or do not post. Also, do not respond to such tasteless posts. Just report them please. Thank you.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
This is hardly the first time anime schedules were disrupted because of horrible events. A number of shows were delayed or cancelled after the 2011 earthquake.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-15/anime/manga-releases-delayed-cancelled-after-quake
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
This is hardly the first time anime schedules were disrupted because of horrible events. A number of shows were delayed or cancelled after the 2011 earthquake.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-15/anime/manga-releases-delayed-cancelled-after-quake

Feel like an earthquake and tsunami are more widespread and devastating than a fire that affects one building that it's more understanding and acceptable for consumer products depicting widespread death and devastation would be delayed and or cancelled.

Someone mentioned earlier that building fires are a common and normal part of life so it seems odd that something so ordinary would cause disruption in media.

Fires happen all the time and Chicago Fire episodes arent delayed so...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
"Ordinary?" It's either the first or the second worst mass murder in Japanese postwar history depending on whether you believe the fire that killed 44 people in 2001 was also arson. The 34 deaths so far are nearly three times as many as were lost from the sarin attacks by Aum Shinrikyo in 1995.

I really don't understand why people seem so intent on downplaying the significance of this event. PM Abe Shinzo called it "too appalling for words."

The 2011 earthquake affected the schedules of some twenty shows. We're only talking about one series being delayed here. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a whole week's worth of anime being delayed.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Fires happen all the time and Chicago Fire episodes arent delayed so...

Sorry, but I'm unaware of any fires that occurred in a TV production studio, where friends of the people who work on CF worked, that resulted in 30+ deaths. It's one thing for something to be delayed from a significant event. It's another completely for something to be delayed for an event that hits close to home from the people who work on the show as well.

Furthermore, from what someone else had said, it seems that the episode in question specifically dealt with spoiler[people being trapped in a burning building].

IIRC, episodes of Psycho Pass were skipped/delayed due to a female student assaulting classmates with a knife, as well, due to similar occurrences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3