• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President States in Interview That All Materials, Computers Were Destroyed in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
This is so heartbreaking in every way. Nearly two decades worth of work destroyed. So many people killed for no reason. I never imagined something so horrible could happen to an anime company.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I feel really cynic about Sentai's gofundme. they seemed to jump extremely quickly into a fund raising no one (of the people actually affected) asked for. as this article mentioned kioto ani has not even stated that they intent to accept the funds. we don't know about the company's insurance coverage or weather the family members find it within their values to accept charity from complete strangers, something very sensitive in Japanese culture

I have serious trust issues with donation organizations like GFM, Kickstarters, etc. I will not deny that the GFM Sentai has set up is legit but until KyoAni makes an official statement of taking donations AND if they provide a DIRECT way to donate it to KyoAni themselves I'm holding off on donations. I'm not trying to being insensitive here, I want my money to go DIRECTLY to KyoAni, not through 3rd party, a middleman or someone who makes a commission off it the donations.

As for Sentai immediately setting it up, I do believe they have to right intentions but like yourself I did feel a bit cynical about it.

Right now KyoAni just needs all the time and space in the world to recover. When they're ready to accept outside help I'll be more than happy to contribute.

Last edited by paulchaested on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
We really don't know exactly what was lost.

He said that everything that was in the building that burned was lost, but we don't know exactly what that list entails. They have other offices where physical items could be stored, and surely there is at least some amount of offsite backup for electronic content. I think it will be a while before we find out the details regarding what was or was not lost.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Animate is also accepting donations for Kyoani in Japan. I know a number of people were speculating that Kyoani would refuse donations based on a past earthquake, but this is an entirely different scale of incident.

In addition, as a Japanese mutual pointed out on twitter, Sentai's GoFundMe was on the national news in Japan - if they tried to abscond with the money they better plan on closing up shop, since they'll never secure a license again. The business of anime localization is heavily based on your reputation with a small circle of rights holders. There's no way that money isn't getting to Kyoani.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's newsworthy or noteworthy, but it seems the 'Free! Road to the World' movie has completely sold out tickets for almost every showing at almost every theater in Tokyo and Kanagawa. If it's a case of fans showing their support any way they can, I'm honestly touched.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
I hope the bastard who started the fire is forced to do community service and fix up what he destroyed.
jree78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I hope the bastard who started the fire is forced to do community service and fix up what he destroyed.

I hope he gets executed, and i'm not usually pro death penalty.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
... if they tried to abscond with the money they better plan on closing up shop, since they'll never secure a license again...

I never thought they could possibly get away with scamming people in that scale. but the way they set it up before the police even stopped counting bodies, Imo really took away any sense of sincerity it could have had behind it, it really looks like they wanted to beat everyone else to the punch at making a PR stun out of it, which of course is disgusting. even if they end up returning all the money they got publicity out of it. of course, this is just a conjecture in my part. but the fact is that it really is weird for a third party to start a charity fund without the explicit consent of the ones affected leave alone with that extreme velocity
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I hope he gets executed, and i'm not usually pro death penalty.

Assuming he comes out of his coma he absolutely will, considering the nature of Japanese law.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
https://www.kyoanishopinter.com/

https://kyoani.shop-pro.jp/

I ended up buying their merch since I'm not sure if they'll accept help from strangers
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Dracospirit121 wrote:
Surprised they had no offsite backups.

I work in a field that has to deal with digital materials and records being stored and you'd - possibly? - be surprised at the utter amount of major companies that simply do not bother with redundant and/or off-site back ups. It's (1) costly, mostly in initial procurement but also maintaining, but also (2) there's a constant fear of obsolescence in formats or programs that stymies investment. A lot of companies were heavily burned in the physical media 'wars' during the times when VHS, UMatic, Beta, etc, were coming along because said companies didn't know what to go with, and most all of the choices had cons that outweighed the pros. It's no different +40 years later.

However it is definitely cheaper and easier to create back ups in 2019 that it ever has been. HDDs with exceptional amounts of storage are decently priced, and they're small enough that concerns about massive square footage with specialized storage vestibules are very diminished even compared to a little over a decade ago. I'm in the opinion it would be foolish nowadays to not consider even the most basic plan of redundant and off-site back ups, even for the smallest of businesses.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
... In addition, as a Japanese mutual pointed out on twitter, Sentai's GoFundMe was on the national news in Japan - if they tried to abscond with the money they better plan on closing up shop, since they'll never secure a license again...
This here is possibly the best reason to donate to the Sentai GFM whether KyoAni accepts or not (really hope they do!!) because Japan is big on relationship and standing. It will still mean something to them that people in the US and the world donated +1.5M$ to show support and to help. Having donated, I have no fear of them just keeping the money and dubbing another couple of anime with it. It'd be professional suicide on both sides of the Pacific in an industry already famously thin on margin.

Also, as sick as I and others are about all this I also remind myself that the loss of lives is the worst impact by light-years than whatever production materials are lost. Naturally I think think of the perp after these thoughts, but again seeing him tortured or whatever helps no one other than my feelings of rage (which are totally unimportant here). I'd leave his fate in the hands of the victim's families and the legal system that thankfully should prevent a lynch-mob.

If the building was an old one with little fire mitigation features as I suspect, the most positive outcome is that fire mitigation measures and fire drills get mandated in all buildings across Japan...
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
I hope the suspect gets what's coming to him for this. He's literally ruined the lives of a bunch of people.

Japan's justice system is not humane of by western standards nor are their protections for the accused as rigorous as ours, but either way, if he's convicted or (as frequently happens in Japan) confesses, he will be hanged.
SonicSP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I feel really cynic about Sentai's gofundme. they seemed to jump extremely quickly into a fund raising no one (of the people actually affected) asked for. as this article mentioned kioto ani has not even stated that they intent to accept the funds. we don't know about the company's insurance coverage or weather the family members find it within their values to accept charity from complete strangers, something very sensitive in Japanese culture

I think they genuinely just wanted to help. Seeing the fire burn and people dying of an attack, and one of the prominent studio nevertheless, it promotes a sense of helplessness that I can see people just doing what they can. This type of attack doesn't happen much in the anime scene, if at all (closest I can think off would be the Akihabara knifings but there might be others). We live in a constant info stream world and sometimes the helplessness gets to you.

And they will be held to account for this, they are not gonna run away or do anything shady with they money with the whole industry watching them.

And like someone said, it will take away momentum from any actual scams. If KyoAni doesn't want it, it can be refunded easily. In addition, people actually donating money is a good show of support of how much KyoAni means to them.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
Exactly.

Also, I don't know how many of you were online when the news broke, but I was (West Coast), and my twitter feed was blowing up with tweets and retweets of people upset and wanting to help in any way they could. Sentai's GFM was a response to that, to give people who wanted to help a way to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4