• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President States in Interview That All Materials, Computers Were Destroyed in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="SonicSP"]
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I feel really cynic about Sentai's gofundme. they seemed to jump extremely quickly into a fund raising no one (of the people actually affected) asked for. as this article mentioned kioto ani has not even stated that they intent to accept the funds. we don't know about the company's insurance coverage or weather the family members find it within their values to accept charity from complete strangers, something very sensitive in Japanese culture

I think they genuinely just wanted to help.../quote]

I totally agree. And you have to remember too, as terrible as the loss of life is, there are also a ton of people who have completely loss their source of income. KyoAni isn't going to be doing any work for a while. That means little to no income, which means paychecks for those folks who were injured, or just work for the studio, are going to end up in a financial press pretty quickly. As bad as the loss of life is, this has the potential to be a rolling personal tragedy for a great number of other folks.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Sentai's founders have been in the anime industry for over three decades. They're absolutely sincere about this.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
"When you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will." - Patton Oswalt
geepee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
if they lost the masters of older series,at least many of them have been released on Blu-Ray and circulate on the internet,so they are all technically preserved,which is more than we can say about some older Dr.Who episodes..
If I recall,some of their upcoming productions were new entries of Free,Sound Euphonium,Maid Dragon,The Violet Evergarden movie.All canned,probably.
Many precious lives lost,many precious materials lost.Hope the guy suffers when he gets hanged,it wouldn't be as satisfying if his neck just snaps immediately.

they should start to concern about saving these materials digitally.Like,affording some corporative Google Drive and One Drive accounts,and also saving them on storages that only key people have access to in case those accounts get hacked somehow.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This angers and saddens me so much. Not only did this monster steal their lives, which is already completely unforgiveable, if all the current animation material has been destroyed, they've even been robbed of leaving their last artwork behind and all the work they did on it, too.

Aresef wrote:
JeffreySweeney wrote:
I hope the suspect gets what's coming to him for this. He's literally ruined the lives of a bunch of people.

Japan's justice system is not humane of by western standards nor are their protections for the accused as rigorous as ours, but either way, if he's convicted or (as frequently happens in Japan) confesses, he will be hanged.

lol @ the western system being 'humane'
He already confessed at the scene of the crime and there was more than one witness. I don't think they're letting him go tbh.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Filmwork's President was interviewed in NHK World's Newsroom Tokyo earlier this evening. It seems he was en route to Tokyo when the incident happened, surely he may have contacted Hatta-san, somehow?

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/programs/#1002
Taskforce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I never thought they could possibly get away with scamming people in that scale. but the way they set it up before the police even stopped counting bodies, Imo really took away any sense of sincerity it could have had behind it, it really looks like they wanted to beat everyone else to the punch at making a PR stun out of it, which of course is disgusting. even if they end up returning all the money they got publicity out of it. of course, this is just a conjecture in my part. but the fact is that it really is weird for a third party to start a charity fund without the explicit consent of the ones affected leave alone with that extreme velocity

Try to remember that Sentai went through Hurricane Harvey in Houston where they themselves had employees that had major loss of property just a couple short years ago. Now I'm not trying to equate that to what happened here, but it is no surprise they'd be quite sensitive to the happenings here and get on the ball fairly quickly. You tend to understand and sympathize with others much faster--probably to the point of overreacting or jumping the gun--when you've recently been through a tragic situation yourself.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
if they lost the masters of older series,at least many of them have been released on Blu-Ray and circulate on the internet,so they are all technically preserved,which is more than we can say about some older Dr.Who episodes..

I agree; I don't think the losses will be as bad as what's happened to many other famous properties in the past. There are surely digital copies floating around in various places: for example, anything which has been broadcast or put on physical media means that the broadcaster and the disc maker has copies. Of course there are also the physical discs themselves. Perhaps they are not as good as the real working masters but modern BD or DVD quality is far better than we have for many old shows. If this had happened in the VHS era then things would have been far, far worse as far as preserving the shows was concerned.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
This angers and saddens me so much. Not only did this monster steal their lives, which is already completely unforgiveable, if all the current animation material has been destroyed, they've even been robbed of leaving their last artwork behind and all the work they did on it, too.

Aresef wrote:
JeffreySweeney wrote:
I hope the suspect gets what's coming to him for this. He's literally ruined the lives of a bunch of people.

Japan's justice system is not humane of by western standards nor are their protections for the accused as rigorous as ours, but either way, if he's convicted or (as frequently happens in Japan) confesses, he will be hanged.

lol @ the western system being 'humane'
He already confessed at the scene of the crime and there was more than one witness. I don't think they're letting him go tbh.

Speaking without making a judgment of innocence or guilt in this case, but on the Japanese legal system more broadly.

Suspects can be held for up to 23 days without charges and without a lawyer, a period in which police may extract a confession under duress during lengthy interrogations, up to 12 hours a day. The Japanese constitution requires that that confession include something verifiable that only the perpetrator could have known, but the prosecutor also must prove that the government didn't know it either. Nevertheless, many people have been sent to prison for confessing to something they didn't do, or signed blank papers that police that wrote a confession around.

If this man is indeed convicted and sentenced to death, he will never know which day is his last until he's woken up and given a choice of last meal before he's led to the gallows. Imagine living like that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It is scary that this was done by a single person, I mean what is to say that there won't be copy cats? Buy a couple of gallons of petrol, walk into the lobby, pour it everywhere and light it.

As for the studio itself, I wonder if there is any chance of them making a comeback, they've lost a lot of irreplaceable staff, which are full time since it's KyoAni, and money.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Speaking without making a judgment of innocence or guilt in this case, but on the Japanese legal system more broadly.

The Japanese "justice" system is, indeed, a real piece of work (as are most other such systems, in their own ways), but in this circumstance, I don't feel like that's a major concern. This case sounds about as open-and-shut as it gets; many of the survivors probably witnessed the attack, the guy was caught at the scene, etc.

Even in a worst-case scenario like this, I'm not a fan of the death penalty, it's antiquated and uncivilized... but at the same time, I'm finding it pretty hard to have any empathy for this guy. If they did give him life in prison instead, there's a good chance one of the other prisoners, or maybe even the guards, would kill him. He's literally the worst living mass-murderer in the country; possibly the worst in its history, outside of war. That's often how things end for people like him.

On-topic, the loss of artwork pales in comparison to the loss of artists, especially since any of the completed stuff likely had backups somewhere; but at least the monetary losses could mean the donations will be helpful.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
While it is an insignificant matter compared to the dozens of people that are dead and the many others that have been injured it is unfortunate that the studio archives were destroyed. I have seen people talk about the possibility of them having offsite backups but realistically given the added expense that seems unlikely for an anime studio. As for the Sentai gofundme while it seems to be on the level I would have preferred a Japanese company with a good relationship with Kyoto Animation to be the one running it.

Aresef wrote:
If this man is indeed convicted and sentenced to death, he will never know which day is his last until he's woken up and given a choice of last meal before he's led to the gallows. Imagine living like that.

I believe that only God can judge the quality of a human soul but are you really going to use this mass murderer in your argument against the Japanese legal system? This guy murdered dozens of people by setting fire to a building and than taunted them from outside while they died. I think it would be far better to give that sympathy to the victims and their families.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
On-topic, the loss of artwork pales in comparison to the loss of artists, especially since any of the completed stuff likely had backups somewhere; but at least the monetary losses could mean the donations will be helpful.

I personally believe so too, life is the most important, an artist can keep creating things for a lifetime, however, a work of art can last for thousands of years, as a testament that that person ever lived. Now, with part of their legacy lost, we can say those artist have died again after their heritage has been destroyed. Truly, a loss for their families, their friends, and also a loss for mankind by the double, because of their future works, and also their past ones.

Anger doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I have grown with KyoAni, and they are in no small part the reason why I chose to take on work as an artist, albeit in the 3D environment. This monster has taken away my mentors, those that gave me inspiration, and this is besides the obvious fact he's taken them away from their families, their friends, but also from us all, fans, budding artists, rivals... I am not pro-death penalty, and I honestly hope he's not sentenced to that, it's barbaric and the easy way out. I also don't wish for him to get the life sentence, we'd be essentially paying him for a lifetime of roof, food, and a menial but significant job for his mind. No, I want him to get treated, so that his mind gets healed to the point he realises what he did, and then feels the pain of their families, their friends, and us all, until his final breath. I honestly hope he's in anguish, a tortured soul no one must feel pity for, not even himself. THAT is what he deserves, but I won't hold my breath, whatever the Japanese system decides, I will accept, for it is their right.

Feel free to edit the message if it feels too disturbing, but I had to share it some way or another.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It is scary that this was done by a single person, I mean what is to say that there won't be copy cats? Buy a couple of gallons of petrol, walk into the lobby, pour it everywhere and light it.

It's curious, isn't it? We take for granted on any given day stuff like this is easily possible by the average person, if they just felt like it. Definitely a sobering thought.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
(snip for space)

Suspects can be held for up to 23 days without charges and without a lawyer, a period in which police may extract a confession under duress during lengthy interrogations, up to 12 hours a day. The Japanese constitution requires that that confession include something verifiable that only the perpetrator could have known, but the prosecutor also must prove that the government didn't know it either. Nevertheless, many people have been sent to prison for confessing to something they didn't do, or signed blank papers that police that wrote a confession around.

This guy killed 34 people in one of the most horrific ways possible and seriously injured another 34 more with no guarantee they'll survive yet. Sorry if my heart isn't bleeding for him having to live like that.

I'm also assuming by 'west' you mean the US system: if it were the UK he'd probably have been released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4