• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Firefox Extension Changes JoJo Part 5 Stands to Original Names

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Some very protective artists may simply sue because they don't want it to seem like they are associated with another work that they're not part of.

They just don't want that perception like they're part of it or approved of it.

Which Jojo characters look like their name sakes? How is AC/DC not appropriate for a cartoon character, which looks nothing like any band member but it's fine if some other band uses almost similar name like AC×DC?
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
A nice gesture, but it's a little too late with the season set to end in a week. It won't really matter to anyone that's already up to date on the series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lastly, if there WAS copyright issues, the Japanese voices saying the names would still be a violation. But those are left untouched. It's NOT a copyright issue. Sad to see mods spreading misinformation like this.

Pikabot explained this in a less hostile way than I did but I get a bit upset by this topic because it spreads false information about music and that's my livelihood.
We mods are unpaid volunteers who have nothing to do with any of ANN's editorial or news decisions.

That said, you don't seem to disagree with Pikabot's conclusion that CR has made these changes out of a reasonable fear of facing legal action. And I have to think their lawyers know more about the risks than we do. Whether the law actually supports that legal action isn't as important as the fact that CR faces the possibility of unacceptable financial losses fighting against it. So if you think I was wrong about "for copyright reasons," fine: insert "for legal exposure reasons" instead. We've seen similar changes with the Bastard!! OVA, as well as other JJBA adaptations, as omegafinal points out. This is not a onetime, isolated incident of CR being exceptional scaredy-cats. From what I've seen of JJBA, the name changes don't materially affect the story or the action. But the fanbase would rather blame companies for taking steps to protect themselves than blame their esteemed manga creator for throwing those names into the work for no real reason.

Commander Cluck wrote:
Anyone who had issue with the names has been watching it via fansubs for years. Much easier and more practical.
Probably not so much fansubs as "Edited CR subs with names Find+Replaced and song TLs added in." But either way, most who opt for illegal means aren't watching subtitles with any fan input. They're watching on bootleg streaming sites that take the first available downloadable version and hit "Next" on HandBrake a few time to hardcode the subs and create a lower-quality streamable version that doesn't have to worry about player support for sub styling/positioning. And that first downloadable release is nearly always a direct rip of the legal stream, with the exact same translations. I've seen people in the pirate sphere asking, "where can I watch JJBA with the right names"? So those alternative releases might not be as widely known or watched as one might think.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Some very protective artists may simply sue because they don't want it to seem like they are associated with another work that they're not part of.

They just don't want that perception like they're part of it or approved of it.

Which Jojo characters look like their name sakes? How is AC/DC not appropriate for a cartoon character, which looks nothing like any band member but it's fine if some other band uses almost similar name like AC×DC?

It doesn't have to look like them - it just has to worry those artists that they may be falsely associated with.

And then they'd have to fight it out in court - may the best expensive lawyers win.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
The Unchosen One wrote:

Well, actually it is part of a full experience of watching or reading JoJo knowing the characters and Stands by their actual original names. That's why people complain about how stupid CR's names really are and one of the reasons JJBA is well-known in the first place.

Except two things the people complaining are people who're already familiar with the series due to having read the original manga. Secondly a good portion of them still watch the Crunchyroll subs in spite (along with playing the video games) not liking the changes. Which isn't too dissimilar from people who know the DuWang translation of DiU shit but like the So bad it's Good aspect of it.

I mean unless you're a big fan of the artists and albums that get referenced in this series the whole gimmick of characters and stands being named after those things isn't going to be of much importance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
I can tell the Notorious B.I.G. ep gave them the biggest headache to the point that they even just changed it to ‘Chase’ in the JP text. Fatburger had a similar problem and had to allude to him only, even if he mentioned the chain in one of his songs. Anyway, that and Spice Girls must’ve been fun for CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3