• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Now I am going to have to reread the LN to see what you all are dancing over.

It's just about spoiler[Aisha telling Bell,after their fight, that Haruhime is still a virgin,what with Haruhime's fainting spells.]- that's controversial to some folks.
----------

The problem isn't that but what it means to the rest of the arc and re-frames the entirety of the arc. It comes across as the ultimate cop out when talking about this sort of story.
spoiler[If you suddenly had kirino and kyouske from oreimo be told in the last chapter they aren't blood related and everyone tells them to get married then you would probably have the same reaction to what dan machi pulls in this arc).]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that is just in line with the Light Novel, so it shouldn't be a problem. DanMachi is not a message series. My thought is it frames Aisha and some of the other Amazons in a friendlier light. Things could have been a lot darker, if Ishtar and many of the other Amazons knew that Haruhime wasn't earning her keep as part of Ishtar familia.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Aisha's clearly conflicted about the entire situation. . . She doesn't want a hero to save her like Haruhime does, but there's also the impression that perhaps she's tired of fighting against them.

This is an angle that I hadn't considered. I think it's clear that she did actually want Bell to take Haruhime away from her situation, but she couldn't in good conscience just hand her over without some assurance that Bell was tough enough and determined enough to protect her.

Anyway, I think the anime did a better job of portraying her than the original novels did; I never much cared for her in those but she grew on me in this version.

Quote:
So farewell, Ishtar. I don't think we'll miss you, but at least now I can stop wondering whether your true divine power was the ability to keep your breasts covered with your scarf.

Laughing

As for Freya ultimately being stronger than Ishtar, the anime conveys much more of a potential racist connotation than the original novels did (probably because of the added visual aspect), though I have a hard time buying that any such thing was intended given that this is coming from a Japanese source. Still, this would hardly be the only recent series where Middle Eastern-themed characters come off in more brutish fashion. (See also Record of Grancrest War.)

Ultimately Freya's Familia is just that much stronger; Phryne is Ishtar's ace and Freya has at least five Children who all have at least one level on her. Hence even with the Killing Stone fragments, Ishtar's combatants probably would have been hard-pressed to match up to Freya's. Let's also not forget that Freya's Children are generally much more loyal than Ishtar's; there's no one in Freya Familia's ranks who would even think of pulling the crap that Phryne does against her goddess's wishes. Freya's just a better personnel recruiter and manager and has vastly more confidence in manipulating people; Ishtar's superior ability to use sex to her own ends just can't compare.

Edit:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Things could have been a lot darker, if Ishtar and many of the other Amazons knew that Haruhime wasn't earning her keep as part of Ishtar familia.

While I know what you're referring to here, I would point out that Haruhime's ability makes her priceless to the familia (or, as Aisha pointed out, any familia) even if she wasn't earning much on prostitution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

The problem isn't that but what it means to the rest of the arc and re-frames the entirety of the arc. It comes across as the ultimate cop out when talking about this sort of story.

Actually it fits right into place,no zig nor a zag to be had. DanMachi is not the sort of story you seem to think it is.Read past this arc and you'll learn how Haruhime's character evolves.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This makes the Bell vs Aisha battle particularly interesting, because Aisha reveals her second name (or possibly title) to be “Hippolyte,

Isn't Aisha' alias is アンティアネイラ/Antianerira- far closer ties to the Argonauts, Apollo and Hermes.

"As I hunger my name is Hippolyta!" is the last line in her spell chant to activate Hell Kaios.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Actually it fits right into place,no zig nor a zag to be had. DanMachi is not the sort of story you seem to think it is.Read past this arc and you'll learn how Haruhime's character evolves.

I do intended to treat this a one off horrible idea by the author. and I completely agree that DanMachi is not the type of story to make a big message about something.....Which is why it really should have stayed kept it's distance from such a serious topic and just carried on down it's merry way down territory that doesn't necessitate you address huge elephants in the room or get covered in elephant poop.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
@Tanteikingdomkey

You're perhaps doing yourself a disservice by basing your opinions on how the story unfolds based upon watching a streamline,sanitized synopsis.

DanMachi is based heavily on Greek mythology while also incorporating other mythologies and it's a Japanese light novel...Rape,sexual assault,cold blooded murder and more have been part & parcel with the story since the first volume.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
@Tanteikingdomkey
Rape & sexual assault....have been part & parcel with the story since the first volume.

I keep hearing this and maybe I am forgetting something but when have rape and sexual assault been in the series before the volume this arc came from.

I mean there was an implication in the previous "book" that apollo wanted bell sexually, but I am having a really hard time remembering any other reference to it. Did I forget some drunk trying to cop a feel of one of the waitresses?

I am not saying the series can't be horny or that messed up stuff never happens but the openings are really accurate to how the series is in terms of tone and content I thought.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:
Things could have been a lot darker, if Ishtar and many of the other Amazons knew that Haruhime wasn't earning her keep as part of Ishtar familia.

While I know what you're referring to here, I would point out that Haruhime's ability makes her priceless to the familia (or, as Aisha pointed out, any familia) even if she wasn't earning much on prostitution.

Perhaps it is a difference between the anime and Light Novel (I am not quite caught up in the anime yet). You may well be right. But evil people, of which Ishtar, Freya, and Apollo quite fit the mold, want everything. While her ability is priceless, she could be made to use it.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
So the 'controversial moment' was simply modified in a way that Bell doesnt know the truth. Honestly dont know how to feel about that. I dont really appreciate them skipping some of the epilogue scenes of Haruhime's arc cos it seems like an anticlimactic finish. To me anyway. And as I expected they played everything with Ares for laughs but this ep made it clear that theyre only going to focus on Hestia's side of vol 8 so its pretty much guaranteed that this only gets 12 eps. At this point I just hope they end it on a high note.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
^
I think I prefer the anime's handling of it. Still a cop-out which panders to the whole purity cult, but neither Bell nor Haruhime knowing the truth at least doesn't undercut the sincerity of their actions last episode.

As for the Rakia story, yeah, this was the only play that made sense, as it also allows a natural point for the introduction of details about the Great Quests, which was skipped over earlier in the season. Though characters and details from parts of the rest of volume 8 do pop up in later novels, this is arguably the most important part. Besides, they at least alluded to Welf's romantic interest in Hephaistos (as they did in the OVA episode), so there's at least some of a reference to Welf's short story from that volume. (And am I misremembering, or is this the first hint in the anime that Mikoto has a thing for Takemikazuchi?) Still would love to see at least one or two of the other stories from vol. 8 done as OVAs, and I hope that does happen.

Now, the real question is, will the end of next episode tease the next arc, like it did in the novel? If it does then I think that's a positive sign that more will be animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I think I prefer the anime's handling of it. Still a cop-out which panders to the whole purity cult, but neither Bell nor Haruhime knowing the truth at least doesn't undercut the sincerity of their actions last episode.

As for the Rakia story, yeah, this was the only play that made sense, as it also allows a natural point for the introduction of details about the Great Quests, which was skipped over earlier in the season. Though characters and details from parts of the rest of volume 8 do pop up in later novels, this is arguably the most important part. Besides, they at least alluded to Welf's romantic interest in Hephaistos (as they did in the OVA episode), so there's at least some of a reference to Welf's short story from that volume. (And am I misremembering, or is this the first hint in the anime that Mikoto has a thing for Takemikazuchi?) Still would love to see at least one or two of the other stories from vol. 8 done as OVAs, and I hope that does happen.

I would certainly like to see Welf, Lili and Mikoto's mini arcs featured even in just a future OVA. Especially for Welf since he didn't do much aside from the war game and the fact that spoiler[Rakia's invasion was mostly to take Welf back so he can make magic swords for them again].

Quote:
Now, the real question is, will the end of next episode tease the next arc, like it did in the novel? If it does then I think that's a positive sign that more will be animated

Ah now that certainly is the question of the week. I will never say no to more Danmachi anime. I understand how you feel about the spoiler[Xenos arc] just from your reviews of LN but it was one of my favorites so I really wanna see it.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Not revealing Haruhime situation directly was actually a better move than in the novel.
But the most important thing is that in both cases Bell took the decision to save her while she's was still theorically 'tainted'. So I dont think the revelation toned down his act in the end. But I was still a bit disappointed that the author, after getting out of his safe-space, made this kind of comeback. ^^'

And yeah, there's a special 'Good job Welf !' moment that I want to see animated ! Anime hyper
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps it is a difference between the anime and Light Novel (I am not quite caught up in the anime yet). You may well be right. But evil people, of which Ishtar, Freya, and Apollo quite fit the mold, want everything. While her ability is priceless, she could be made to use it.

I wouldn't say Freya is "evil" perse. Sure she covets Bell and does things that are morally questionable (like enchanting and releasing the monsters during Monsterphilia), but I don't think that really qualifies as evil. She's sly, cunning, and a tad underhanded sure. As of now in the story (Just finished Volume 10 of the main series) I put her on the same level as Hermes. Both are interested in Bell for different reasons and employ certain tactics to see those ambitions through.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought the third quest would be Ziz, but I guess killing the protector of all birds isn't too appealing.
I was a bit underwhelmed at what the great three quests were. I thought they would be something grand that predates adventuring as a whole. But instead it's a clean-up job of something that could eventually happen again.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I wouldn't say Freya is "evil" perse. Sure she covets Bell and does things that are morally questionable (like enchanting and releasing the monsters during Monsterphilia), but I don't think that really qualifies as evil. She's sly, cunning, and a tad underhanded sure. As of now in the story (Just finished Volume 10 of the main series) I put her on the same level as Hermes. Both are interested in Bell for different reasons and employ certain tactics to see those ambitions through.

If releasing a dangerous monster in town for your own amusement doesn't qualify as evil, I don't know what does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15