• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Rather doubt it, given the enthusiasm level that the gods in general seem to have for any kind of entertainment. They've been shown before to not care if someone else is getting troubled by it. (Remember Hestia's "date" with Bell in the first season?)

True, and that's mythologically sound with most of these pantheons as well. It was just such a Loki thing to do, though - why wait for them to get worked up on their own when the trickster (or I guess "trickstar" in this case, since she's female in the show) can just throw that gasoline on the fire? Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As much as I've come to appreciate other characters through the mobile game, Lili has always been my #1 (I have every one of her units in the game). Glad she finally officially joined the familia, but I guess she has no reason to wear her animal ears anymore Sad

But man, seeing Tiona and Bell together on screen takes on a whole new meaning after finishing the 2nd anniversary event.

unfortunately, ita unlikely since the mobile games are NOT canon towards the source materials!

especially the argonaut event! however i can also see the LN author doing mentions of argonaut and the princess in future arcs once its done with the whole spoiler[ lyuu becoming a fugutive once again ] aka vols 13- present of the light novels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:30 am Reply with quote
Its a small matter but...

Quote:
(It's worth noting that while Loki, being Loki, is egging on the whole War Game thing, Hephaistos is absent from the whole Denatus ordeal

Thats an anime only thing. The LN shows Hephaistos being there and Apollo even voices the possibility of having one of her stronger followers help Hestia owing to the fact that the two are close friends causing her to deny the claim.

And its Tiona whos training with Bell. Tione is the taller and bustier twin.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Its a small matter but...

Thats an anime only thing.

I know. I'm only talking about the anime in these reviews. Smile

Quote:
And its Tiona whos training with Bell. Tione is the taller and bustier twin.

Damnit! I double-checked, but my learning differences/disabilities/whatever you call them strike again. Lowercase "a" and "e" can look way too similar. Mad Embarassed
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

unfortunately, ita unlikely since the mobile games are NOT canon towards the source materials!

Given the author's involvement and the lack of any events contradicting canon (except for the crossovers) there's little reason not to consider them canon. They even drop hints to things that from what I know the novels haven't explored yet such as spoiler[Syr's] true identity during the Christmas event.

But for Argonaut in particular the author said he has always planned the story out as Danmachi episode 0 but didn't have the chance to share it until now.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The scale of the whole war game is a bit toned down and somewhat rushed making it a lot less intense and therefore less satisfying than I hoped. To summarize it was good but it could have been better. Nevertheless it was adapted fairly faithfully so Im cool with it
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
^
While it did seem a little short, Omori also overwrote this fight (and many other key battles in the franchise) so I thought the episode did a reasonable job of finding a balance point. Besides, I can't think of anything else in this episode which could have been cut out to make more time.

One clarification for anime-only viewers on a point I had thought they would clarify but didn't, about Mikoto: spoiler[she's basically a loaner who will be with Hestia Familia for one year. (That's the minimum time between familia switches.)] This could conceivably still be explained next episode, hence my use of spoiler tags, but I think it's equally likely that the adaptation isn't bothering to bring it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
While it did seem a little short, Omori also overwrote this fight (and many other key battles in the franchise) so I thought the episode did a reasonable job of finding a balance point. Besides, I can't think of anything else in this episode which could have been cut out to make more time. .

I guess youre right but maybe the opening credits could have been skipped which is something JC has done before. At the very least they should have made the final duel more intense than what was shown. An extra 1 min and 30 secs would have shown more elements of the duel that was skipped like Bell managing to land a Firebolt while Hyakinthos was casting or that the sword fight lasting a little longer. Of course thats just me and Im no expert on this so maybe this was the best end result.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh... I'm kinda disappointed with this episode. I was expecting an epic battle, but it all turned out to be kinda anti-climactic. It just felt a little too rushed for all these individual fights to be all that exciting. And Hyakinthos' last attack just looked so stupidly pitiful. It made him look incompetent instead of making Bell look cool. Otherwise it was still an entertaining episode. I certainly wasn't bored.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This adaptation was rushed to fit all the next Arc into a single season! Also many things got skipped or glossed over! Hermès telling Bell about the three great quests on the balcony during the dance! That last quest leading to Zeus downfall and the Black Dragon still in the wild needing defeating as its one of the world last great calamities! A whole book locked into four episodes! Zanis the leader of Soma Familia was a much worse individual in the books! His actions were totally despicable in the light novels! He gets cleaned up in the anime! Sigh, also the The Goddess of beauty getting the necklace ready for Bell the one that protected his life got glossed over in the rush. It’s my hope the next arc The Pleasure Quarter makes up for the rushed pace!
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Next episode concludes volume 6-Perhaps we'll get a bit of vol 8,with it's character backstories intermingled with volume 7's arc.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Next episode concludes volume 6-Perhaps we'll get a bit of vol 8,with it's character backstories intermingled with volume 7's arc.

Actually this ep already concludes vol 6 with Hestia creating their official symbol being its epilogue. Them properly moving into their new home is already part of vol 7.

On that note Im curious how much theyre gonna skip considering vol 7 is one of the longest vols especially if theyre gonna adapt vol 8 too cos the only way they wont adapt it is if this season only lasts 10 eps which I doubt.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
This adaptation was rushed to fit all the next Arc into a single season!

The didn't rush to get the next arc into this season; this was totally consistent with the franchise's established pacing to date, for better or worse. And it's not like the volume 7 adaptation was going to require 9-10 episodes to adapt, even though it is the longest novel in the series. It'll probably take five at most. The only question is how much of volume 8 might be adapted after that, since they definitely don't have time to so the whole thing. (That one would probably require six episodes to do fully, given the way that the story is broken up.)

Quote:
Also many things got skipped or glossed over! Hermès telling Bell about the three great quests on the balcony during the dance! That last quest leading to Zeus downfall and the Black Dragon still in the wild needing defeating as its one of the world last great calamities!

This could easily be fit in with certain parts of volume 8 if they adapt the last story from it.

Quote:
Zanis the leader of Soma Familia was a much worse individual in the books! His actions were totally despicable in the light novels! He gets cleaned up in the anime!

Er, huh? He still comes across as a total bastard here. I don't recall him being much worse than this in the novel.

Quote:
Sigh, also the The Goddess of beauty getting the necklace ready for Bell the one that protected his life got glossed over in the rush.

Wasn't glossed over; it's there if you watch the details carefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
well it looks like i was right!!!

this season is definitely going into rush mode on the sword materials!

i wont be surprised thst the final 4 eps of this 12 ep series DOES indeed go to the wiinee arc and the xenos arc! kinda makes me wonder!

will they ALSO do the same for the eventual season two of sword oratoria!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
They went from rushing scenes last ep to dragging things out that its almost painful to watch when Hestia got rejected by all of her potential familia applicants after her over excited antics. To be fair there were enjoyable moments too and this just a prequel to the Haruhime arc so I hope they at least pan it out better than they did with the war game. Gotta say the use of that image as a cliffhanger at the end is a pretty good way to bait viewers and I think those sucks were just to censor Heat is while she was climbing the wall.

Also that scene at the start made me remember that the anime removed the part where the Hestia Knife was given as collateral for Lilly to join Hestia. Shame they missed an opportunity to further emphasize how much of a disadvantage Bell should have been in during his duel with Hyakinthos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15