Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Astra Lost in Space


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1935
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Anyone here read the manga and is watching? I'm wondering if I'll bother with the anime - really liked the manga but mostly because of character interactions rather than the mystery (and I can see some of it being skipped for not being plot-important)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 3327
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
So is there any kind of colonization going on or did humanity just make a Faster Than Light drive so this story could happen? If there are colonies then monarchy would show up on other planets but Charce's backstory seems so focused on humanity being on one planet. But then they talk about using cryo sleep as a way to preserve their lives just in case someone happens to come upon them... going WHERE for WHAT reason, who knows?

Wait... wait, wait, wait. This ship has a cryo pod and a FTL drive? It's both Alien and Star Trek? The lack of care and planning in this world building is starting to really annoy me. I know it's in the story because the author saw it in other science fiction works... mostly movies, oh so many movies... but where's the thought in why it's there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2465
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Wait... wait, wait, wait. This ship has a cryo pod and a FTL drive? It's both Alien and Star Trek? The lack of care and planning in this world building is starting to really annoy me. I know it's in the story because the author saw it in other science fiction works... mostly movies, oh so many movies... but where's the thought in why it's there?


Haven't watched the episode yet, but I sure hope there's an explanation for why they didn't all go in cryo sleep to preserve water on the trip back to civilization...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 598
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:


Wait... wait, wait, wait. This ship has a cryo pod and a FTL drive? It's both Alien and Star Trek? The lack of care and planning in this world building is starting to really annoy me. I know it's in the story because the author saw it in other science fiction works... mostly movies, oh so many movies... but where's the thought in why it's there?


I'm not really sure what your beef is. What about a sci-fi world having 2 separate pieces of advanced technology denotes a "lack of care or planning"? Like, you do know they had stasis pods and the like in Star Trek, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
micah007



Joined: 25 Jan 2017
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is on the fence about suspension of disbelief I would suggest holding on just a bit longer before any speculation gets out of control. Having read the manga the next two or so episodes should cement the loose plot and setting threads for viewers (if 7 ends on a cliffhanger).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iron Maw



Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So is there any kind of colonization going on or did humanity just make a Faster Than Light drive so this story could happen? If there are colonies then monarchy would show up on other planets but Charce's backstory seems so focused on humanity being on one planet. But then they talk about using cryo sleep as a way to preserve their lives just in case someone happens to come upon them... going WHERE for WHAT reason, who knows?

Wait... wait, wait, wait. This ship has a cryo pod and a FTL drive? It's both Alien and Star Trek? The lack of care and planning in this world building is starting to really annoy me. I know it's in the story because the author saw it in other science fiction works... mostly movies, oh so many movies... but where's the thought in why it's there?


I-I have no idea why you're complaining about two different things that have nothing to do with each other in context at all. Nor do I under why those these things can't be mutually exclusive as they are. While do they do intersect and influence each other to degree, cultural and technology do not move in a linear and parallel direction in respect to each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8351
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think his feeling is that if they have FTL tech, they wouldn't need a cryosleep pod. If I'm reading that right, I'd say it depends on how far you're going and how much faster than light your tech is capable of. Moreover, I think it's missing the point. What's significant is that there's only one pod in each of these ships, despite there being 9 beds for normal sleeping.

I think it may be worth noting that the ships with the pods may not be human-made, since they seem to be connected to the teleportation orb, which is probably also not human-made (I'm going out on a limb and guessing the new girl isn't human either). I say that because I agree with Animegomaniac that it seems very odd that there doesn't appear to be any colonization of these charted planets going on, though they've been shown to mostly be perfectly habitable (Tsunami World, not so much). Even the space camp itself is a bit odd, given how Earthbound the entire human population seems to be.

What that all means, I haven't a clue yet. But it ties in with one of my alternate theories, that the DNA tests aren't to suss out clones, but to verify humanity. Maybe the kids are human clones intended to house alien personalities for access to Earth, for whatever reasons. And they decided to get rid of them to avoid discovery and just start over again when it's safer. I don't have much faith in this theory though, just brainstorming. Very Happy Maybe it will trigger a better theory in someone else.

I thought it was hilarious this episode when they were remarking how lucky it was they could still move the ship to get water, as if they hadn't already crash landed right next to a river.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WatcherZer



Joined: 29 Dec 2016
Posts: 141
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Not read the manga so no spoilers but glad they finally got round to comparing the two sisters DNA.

I've had a theory for three episodes now since we first learnt about the law change that made registering your DNA mandatory that the adults had cloned themselves and were going to use the memory transfer tech to prolong their lives, it fits for all the parents weve seen so far. The exception is Aries mother as she neither looked like her nor seemed uncaring so I haven't figured that out, if there really is a sabouter (and im doubtful there is, just paranoia) then im wondering if she might be it wittingly or unwittingly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1922
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quitterie saying that her "true dream" wasn't being a doctor but to become someone's wife made me Rolling Eyes a bit, but yeah, the resolution was pretty funny and refreshing (and now that that's out of the way, she can concentrate on becoming a doctor again, hopefully).

As for the actual plot: so assuming they are all clones (of their parents?), why send them out to space in order to kill them? Because they are somehow "deficient"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fred Lougee



Joined: 01 Oct 2018
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quitterie saying that her "true dream" wasn't being a doctor but to become someone's wife made me Rolling Eyes a bit, but yeah, the resolution was pretty funny and refreshing (and now that that's out of the way, she can concentrate on becoming a doctor again, hopefully).

As for the actual plot: so assuming they are all clones (of their parents?), why send them out to space in order to kill them? Because they are somehow "deficient"?


Maybe....

Brainstorming here, it might get slightly moist.

Maybe they were not sent out into space to kill them, but to save them. The event that Polina mentioned, whatever it is, seemed pretty dire. So what if whoever is behind it all has set things up intentionally, the orb of teleportation, the drive, the comm damage which Zack identified as being recent, to force them to take a circuitous route home and not arrive until after the event?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dandon223



Joined: 08 May 2019
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
I think Polina slept more that 12 years. Even 100. We know that she is from Earth (and that she is Russian) but others are not. Just go watch first episode.
Why would her ship had a mission about finding habitable planets when those children had found like 5 in 1 minute?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1214
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Even though this show effectively sunk my ship (Was Kanata/Quiterrie all the way), it was still a very enjoyable episode. I was half joking about the twist at the end, but I popped when it turned out to be true. spoiler[I mean there had to be questions with Funi and Quitierre looking pretty much identical despite Funi being adopted. It was either clones or time travel.] Also can't wait to learn more about Polina and what even she was talking about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8351
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
Maybe they were not sent out into space to kill them, but to save them.

Are you suggesting "eliminate them" really was "illuminate them"? Even so, I have trouble believing these rotten, unemotional parents were trying to save their kids. I could maybe buy that if they were only cold during the meeting to declare them all dead (aaaacting!!), but that doesn't explain their behavior in the flashbacks.

Ok, so my limb broke, and Polina is human. I still think aliens are involved. Very Happy

@ dandon223, what makes you say the others are not from Earth? I'm not opposed to this idea (have they ever said they're trying to get back to Earth specifically?), I just don't yet see whatever evidence you've noticed. Also, I hope to gods we're not doing time travel here (they seem to be ignoring relativistic effects)... Rolling Eyes But there didn't seem to be 100 years worth of corrosion on either the crashed scouter or the dog tags.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dandon223



Joined: 08 May 2019
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti
That is the thing. They did not said they are trying to get back to Earth.
There is also the thing with their space suits. When the children have futuristic ones the new girl has plain one.

All of the places mentioned in ep 1 are not real places. Ikemir for example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1697
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I have so many theories! But I am genuinely confused that one of Polina's crewmmates dog tag's had a date of birth for 2012 in Seattle, WA, which is weird, because we haven't even heard if Seattle, Washington state, or even the US is still even around at this point. Plus, her gear looks so modern (as in, current-day) which makes it look staggeringly outdated compared to the Astra crew.

Still, my working hypothesis is that most of the kids are "defective" clones of their parents, shipped off to be disposed of quietly. Aries is probably a clone of Seira rather than actually being Seira, maybe because Seira is either dead, or permanently comatose. And I actually think Luca might be a "defective" clone as well, as the story of "some artist friend" that gave away their kid is way too similar to Funi's cover story to be a coincidence. The only ones I can't figure out are Ulgar and Charce, so we'll just have to wait and see with those two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group