• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President Hatta Considers Demolishing 1st Studio Building, Building Public Par

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Now that we know that the studios isn't gonna be rebuild, I wonder where the GoFundMe money is gonna go?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Now that we know that the studios isn't gonna be rebuild, I wonder where the GoFundMe money is gonna go?

I wouldn't go that far, saying it won't be rebuilt altogether. All we know is that if it is rebuilt, it won't be on the same site as the previous studio.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Oh, come on. That building isn't likely going to be repaired, but if they're to continue making anime in the future, they'll need a new building somewhere, and everything that goes inside it. Not to mention like medical bills or compensation for survivors for loss of income, or for those who will need a while before they can return to working, if they even can.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
For example, if the suspect has family members who had absolutely nothing to do with this, then they could become targets of harassment or be put in danger themselves by people/fans of the studio wanting revenge.

This is a prudent measure.

The article already says that the name of the suspect is publicly known, so anyone who wants to find out, will find out. It won't prevent any harassment whatsoever.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Sentai already said on twitter where it's going.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Interesting is what I will say. The plan they have proposed indicates that KyoAni actually owns the building and land, which seems somewhat unusual for a company of its size. More often it would be renting.

In which case, I would be more inclined to demolish the building, but rebuild something better and safer. The new building itself can be the memorial. That to me is more in line with continuing the former legacy of those that died, rather than having a small park of not especial usefulness.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Building a park seems like a good idea to me; definitely better than rebuilding the building. People are going to want to visit the area to pay their respects, and it'd be inconvenient to constantly have guests at the same time that a business is trying run. On top of that, I doubt that the survivors who were badly injured would ever want to work in the same location again; those are going to be some traumatic memories.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: removed uncalled for snark... Errinundra.

I'm still shocked about what happened and I can't even imagine the horror of all the people that worked with the deceased, not even talking about the survivors.
The psychological trauma involved here can keep most of the artists from working, even if they wanted to work it can be very hard to overcome something blocked by trauma in the creative field.
Yes art can be creative outlet for that kind of trauma, but it takes a lot of time to work through this. Think of Barefoot Gen for example, it was a work to overcome the trauma of the Hiroshima bomb and it came over 30 years after the fact and that is the best case for people that wish KyoAni would do anime again can hope for.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they can work through this and I want to see more KyoAni works, but on the flip side I don't see that happening in years if ever.
They could even close down the studio completely and it would be totally understandable.
All we can do is hope that a lot of the people hit by this disaster as coworkers (I'm talking about coworkers that weren't part of the injured, but working with them and weren't there. The only thing I can hope for the direct survivors is that they somehow find a way to live without pain.) can keep working in the industry after they took time to work through their trauma and wish the absolute best to the people that understandably quit and hope they at least live a decent life with the burden they carry now.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the above edit, I've deleted three posts discussing the merits of ANN's editorial position on the tragedy. Such posts belong on the feedback board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciate ANN’s stance on focusing on the victims rather than the perpetrator, and wish more news outlets followed that model and mentioned the names and personal details of mass murderers as minimally as possible. Our focus should be on the deceased and their relatives and the survivors.

I hope they do build a park and memorial on the site—people are already leaving flowers, messages and works of art there as a show of support.

As for the GoFundMe, most people may not know how hard recovering from burn wounds can be. Burns can cause the most devastating injuries to the human body. Recovering physically can involve multiple surgeries and long rehabilitation periods. One survivor already had their legs amputated, and that’s within the first 3 days of the tragedy. Coming through this, for each individual survivor, is going to be a difficult journey and they deserve every medical advancement and rehabilitation service available, which can become expensive (especially since some treatments are only available internationally or are considered experimental). For example, if this survivor is able to get prosthetic legs, they should be able to get the best, custom made prosthetics available, even if it requires travel to acquire. A fund for the survivors to be able to access the best health services all over the world will come in handy.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I really appreciate ANN’s stance on focusing on the victims rather than the perpetrator, and wish more news outlets followed that model and mentioned the names and personal details of mass murderers as minimally as possible. Our focus should be on the deceased and their relatives and the survivors.

I hope they do build a park and memorial on the site—people are already leaving flowers, messages and works of art there as a show of support.

As for the GoFundMe, most people may not know how hard recovering from burn wounds can be. Burns can cause the most devastating injuries to the human body. Recovering physically can involve multiple surgeries and long rehabilitation periods. One survivor already had their legs amputated, and that’s within the first 3 days of the tragedy. Coming through this, for each individual survivor, is going to be a difficult journey and they deserve every medical advancement and rehabilitation service available, which can become expensive (especially since some treatments are only available internationally or are considered experimental). For example, if this survivor is able to get prosthetic legs, they should be able to get the best, custom made prosthetics available, even if it requires travel to acquire. A fund for the survivors to be able to access the best health services all over the world will come in handy.

Doesn't Japan have universal healthcare? IIRC, hospitals can only be run by doctors out there, and everyone is covered from cradle to grave.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
We've decided to move the editors note that was in the article about forum comments, to the forum itself instead of keeping it in the article, so I am putting it here instead:

We ask that you please do not mention the name of the victim written about in the source article, and we ask that you do not mention the name of the suspect, in this or all other article comment threads on the subject. While we will not delete your posts if you do, we hope that you will respect ANN's wishes in this matter.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:56 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

There's plenty of places where they the money can go. Like building a new building or purchasing an existing building (and possibly renovating that building). Or to the injured survivor's medical bills and funeral costs for those who died. Or even compensation for those who lose work. Maybe even legal fees. Or like Hatta said, demolishing the old building (which will cost money). and building a park with a momument. All these things mentioned are expensive, and even with possibly $2mil or more from the GoFundMe campaign and money from other sources, KyotoAni will likely still struggle financially with all these possible costs.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, saying it won't be rebuilt altogether. All we know is that if it is rebuilt, it won't be on the same site as the previous studio.

I could imagine that would be hard to go back to work and the building your friends died in so horribly. Its a great way to tribute those who passed.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
A lot of others have responded to this, but I will add that the building in question is their first studio, and that in many other articles it has been mentioned they have a second, plus other facilities. This wasn't even their head office, but it was their main building for creating animation.
As others have pointed out, though, they could lease other buildings or build another one elsewhere, but I dare say the majority of the money will go to the victims and their families. Someone pointed out universal healthcare, but that can only go so far. The victim who is now an amputee, for example, is going to need a lot of help to modify their home or even find a new one, among other things, due to what's happened. And also another pointed out how bad burns can be, and will take a long time to recover. Universal healthcare can cover the basics and some others to a degree, but that's all, beyond that the user still has to pay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3