Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: O Maidens in Your Savage Season


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7869
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Even if the wording of Izumi isn't particularly clear, the fact that he boldly steps directly onto Kazusa's shadow before his declaration should easily cement his intentions. There's no possible to way to perceive that as a 'friend zone'.

He wants to keep Kazusa at arm's length least she ruin that image of a sister he has in his mind.... which is how the episode ends, Kazusa in tears and running... perhaps toward or perhaps away but there's no payoff has in this episode, it's just implied.

The episode ends with the two together holding hands and gazing at the city skyline atop a hill. Did you just blank out on that scene? Or were you not attentive in that there were 2 minutes of episode left after the credits and missed Niina's declaration of alllowing herself to obsess as well as the aforementioned scene?

And yes, his foot stomps on Kazusa's shadow right before the confession. Why would he have needed to step on the shadow while rambling on about how their relationship had been before that point?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8377
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Still episode 8. Smile

Where to begin... I'm really happy Sonozaki got her act together, but mostly for Amagiri's sheer rapture at her confession. I don't like her much, but if she can make him that happy, it's all good. His joy is my joy. Smile

I guess I'm alone in not seeing cram school kid as being creepy. Momoko hasn't exactly shut him down, and while I understand her lack of clarity with him, he's a normal stupid teenager without the experience to read between the lines (as do many adult men). He doesn't strike me as predatory, or not caring how she feels -- he doesn't know how she actually feels. He's made some unwarranted assumptions, as people do, and so is more focused on impressing her than testing the truth of those assumptions. Yes, it was good that she was finally clear, but it seemed kinda cruel to do it in front of his friends without giving him any way to save face with them. He still has to hang out with them, even if she's (hopefully) washed her hands of him.

I have a feeling that the Izumi/Kazusa/Niina storyline is going to cause me some ptsd from here on out. I had a dorm roommate who was dating two guys who lived in the suite next door (and who had been friends up to that point), and spent a year watching them fight over her without her being willing to choose one or neither, and neither of them getting fed up enough to bail on the situation. They all ended up marrying other people, and I never heard from any of them again. Smile The situation was exactly the same as here, except gender-flipped, so I'm saying right now, whatever drama happens is mostly on Izumi's head if he doesn't make his choice clear. If the one not chosen then stalks the declared couple instead of gracefully bowing out, that's a different story.

I'm hoping Momoko and Niina end up together. Very Happy

Btw, I cringe every time Izumi tells his little story about how he realized Kazusa was a girl because she couldn't throw a ball. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panino Manino



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
#9
Momo fan's will get so mad at Okada...

There's stuff to tak about, but I want to see the reactions first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4623
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

She had basically no idea Izumi existed until she found out about Kazusa's crush. Then she starts wondering what's so great about Izumi that would make Kazusa like him, fixates on him, until she develops feelings for him too. Then she spends time with him, all while telling Kazusa there's nothing between them, and even pretending that she's trying to help them. And when Kazusa calls her out on it, Niina plays the victim, like Kazusa is misunderstanding her just like everyone else, when really, Kazusa is seeing exactly who she is.

At first Kazusa thought she was seeing something that wasn't really happening, it was really a misunderstanding. But just in the beginning. Then Niina started to do on purpose and you can say "fair, she didn't wanted to be developed feelings for Izumi", the problem and that got in this race and lost. She lost but still didn't gave up, the problem really for me is from here on. After this episode she has no excuses, she is just being a shitty person and not only with Kazusa.

I think you are both being harsh. What Niina’s doing is wrong, but 1. She’s not entirely acting on her own accord, she still has her abuser literally telling her to act like a “bad girl” and rewarding her with attention when she does and 2. Kazusa broke her heart first. Kazusa was literally the one of the first platonic female peer friends she has ever had after *years* of being rejected by female peers because of her looks and the attention she got from males—something she can’t control at all. Niina entrusted Kazusa with some of that painful history.

That bath scene was painful to watch, because I was thinking that every time Kazusa looked enviously at Niina, she was hurting her. Niina had years of trauma—isolation from peers, grooming (which is abusive even if it’s not physically sexual, look it up) from a man old enough to be her grandfather. What’s Kazusa’s excuse for treating Niina as a criminal before she did anything wrong, and judging her for the traits she has no control over, despite knowing it was a sore spot? Teenage insecurity?

Kazusa never saw Niina for who she was, she just painfully projected her insecurities onto her, and reminded Niina that that’s all her female peers will ever see. So she’s acting out the role her peers—and her f’ing abuser—want her to play I hope she’ll come to her senses first and not give pedo Director the satisfaction of playing his role.

I hope Hongo, and Milo-sensei, come to their senses soon, too, because what they’re doing is awful for both of them. I think it’s interesting that we got a peek at Milo-sensei’s self loathing in episode 9, how he feels like a loser not deserving of the love of a colleague who had a “happy childhood,” but sleeping with a student (or even just pretending he will) will make both their lives so much worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 3331
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
So... Kazusa and Izumi acting as they did before dating means they're a sweet and loving couple and Niina has no place asking asking Izumi to join him alone on a train together and he excitedly agrees to do it? Next thing you'll tell me, it's her fault that he placed his hand on her butt rather than move her around so she'd be in front of the door. She told him to do it and, well, Why did Edmund Hillary climb Mt Everest? Because it was there.

It takes two to tango and Kazusa's more interested in watching from the sidelines. If any of you want to prove my assessment of their "relationship" is wrong then you all have to do a lot better than just passing over important details because they're

Quote:
Not that I approve of what either of them are doing, or particularly enjoy watching people actively be jackasses, but the walking-on-clouds first love aspect of Kazusa and Sonezaki was also incredibly irritating.


Irritating? Spending time at your loved one's home should be positive relationship development but if you did that beforehand, going outside in public would have more meaning, generate actual excitement over basic feelings of comfort. Again, does Kazusa really know if she's not doing anything or is she just floating on Cloud Nine because she feels she earned what she got?

I think this really is turning into shoujo romance versus shonen romance; The shonen romance would end at that lame confession in a "target has been acquired" sort of deal, but the typical shoujo romance goes beyond that to make a point, commonly reinforcing whatever point the author wants to make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1782
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Irritating? Spending time at your loved one's home should be positive relationship development but if you did that beforehand, going outside in public would have more meaning, generate actual excitement over basic feelings of comfort. Again, does Kazusa really know if she's not doing anything or is she just floating on Cloud Nine because she feels she earned what she got?


That's actually not the part I was talking about in the review - I was referring to the scene at the Literature Club where Sonezaki makes her "OMG, boys are actually human!" speech and she and Kazusa are basically all heart-eyed. From where I'm coming at it, which is very possibly a totally different place than where you or anyone else reading these reviews is, that's the relevant piece of the episode for Momoko, Hongo, and Niina, because it informs their actions based on how they interpret that scene.

Quote:
I think this really is turning into shoujo romance versus shonen romance; The shonen romance would end at that lame confession in a "target has been acquired" sort of deal, but the typical shoujo romance goes beyond that to make a point, commonly reinforcing whatever point the author wants to make.


That's an interesting angle. I'll have to think about it a bit more. Off the top of my head, I can see different characters as following different genre trends; I think in part some of us have reacted to strongly/badly to Niina's actions is because to a degree she feels like a cookie cutter mean girl from a shoujo story - Sae from Peach Girl is who most immediately comes to mind.

Upset as I am with Niina's actions, however, I don't think she can be fully blamed for them. She's still under the influence of her abuser, and you're right, Izumi isn't without his own agency to act. What he does next week will be interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 64
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Next thing you'll tell me, it's her fault that he placed his hand on her butt rather than move her around so she'd be in front of the door. She told him to do it and, well, Why did Edmund Hillary climb Mt Everest? Because it was there.


Did you miss the part where she held his hand. He didn't willingly grope her
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HAL14



Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Posts: 64
Location: Heart of africa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

snip.[/i][/b]

snip.

I think you are both being harsh. What Niina’s doing is wrong, but 1. She’s not entirely acting on her own accord, she still has her abuser literally telling her to act like a “bad girl” and rewarding her with attention when she does and 2. Kazusa broke her heart first. Kazusa was literally the one of the first platonic female peer friends she has ever had after *years* of being rejected by female peers because of her looks and the attention she got from males—something she can’t control at all. Niina entrusted Kazusa with some of that painful history.

That bath scene was painful to watch, because I was thinking that every time Kazusa looked enviously at Niina, she was hurting her. Niina had years of trauma—isolation from peers, grooming (which is abusive even if it’s not physically sexual, look it up) from a man old enough to be her grandfather. What’s Kazusa’s excuse for treating Niina as a criminal before she did anything wrong, and judging her for the traits she has no control over, despite knowing it was a sore spot? Teenage insecurity?



In hindsight, i also think the bath scene is painful to watch. Kazusa feels insecure about her body compared to Niina's and then when Niina decides to seduce Izumi, she does so with her *drum roll* body. Now can you imagine if Izumi is with Kazusa and all he can think about is Niina's butt. Or worse, when he's masturbating .
Also, as far as her abuse goes, there comes a point where it starts sounding like an excuse. Getting hurt doesn't excuse you from hurting others, especially people who never hurt you. This kind of thinking creates a cycle: an abused child grows and abuses their children, who then grow and abuse their children, and so on. And if want to claim that Kazusa hurt Niina, well then what about the others in the club?



Finally, that Kazusa and Izumi aren't jumping into bed and going at it like rabbits doesn't mean they shouldn't be a couple. I would think the best person for Izumi would be someone who respects him as a person and has consideration for his own feelings and friendships because what Niina's doing won't just ruin the clubs friendship but also kazuma and izumi's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
One-Eye



Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 2136
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
As far as the whole Izumi/Kazusa/Niina storyline, well there has to be some kind of conflict in the story right? Some girl from the outside wouldn't quite raise the stakes high enough. How it ultimately gets resolved in an interesting way will be the challenge or will they just go for a more standard route?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Still episode 8. SmileI guess I'm alone in not seeing cram school kid as being creepy. Momoko hasn't exactly shut him down, and while I understand her lack of clarity with him, he's a normal stupid teenager without the experience to read between the lines (as do many adult men). He doesn't strike me as predatory, or not caring how she feels -- he doesn't know how she actually feels. He's made some unwarranted assumptions, as people do, and so is more focused on impressing her than testing the truth of those assumptions. Yes, it was good that she was finally clear, but it seemed kinda cruel to do it in front of his friends without giving him any way to save face with them. He still has to hang out with them, even if she's (hopefully) washed her hands of him.
Let's see he's been cheap with her (while boasting what a great sport he is), oblivious (assuming a closeness that hasn't been verified and only after one date?) and self-centered. He also seemed maybe a little manipulative. What are his good traits again? We haven't seen any and showing up at the festival was kind of the last straw for Momo. Hence her harshness. There are plenty of girls who when they haven't made up their mind what they think about some guy will find it pushy or off-putting and maybe even a little stalker-ish when a guy purposefully shows up unannounced. This could be showing up at a club activity, a place of work or even her house, which including her school festival these are really her personal space. If he wasn't a sort-of-a-jerk maybe I could see it as inexperience, but he's kind of a jerk. Maybe, this will be a lesson for him to grow on, though I doubt it.

Quote:
Btw, I cringe every time Izumi tells his little story about how he realized Kazusa was a girl because she couldn't throw a ball. Rolling Eyes
Agreed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rizuchan
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 825
Location: Kansas
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
@Agent355

I think you make a lot of good points regarding how Niina probably feels toward Kazusa. But I don't think Kazusa was "treating Niina like a criminal before she did anything wrong" - I think Niina may have felt that way, given that she already feels like everyone hates her for no reason. But to me, Kazusa's reaction toward watching her friend suddenly be very interested in the guy she likes is a normal one. And she didn't even want to accuse Niina - she tried to talk to Niina about it, which is what good friends, who trust each other, do, and Niina immediately jumped to the conclusion that Kazusa was just like all the other girls that mistrusted her in the past.

And I want to be clear that I absolutely understand what Niina's going through. I understand that she is being manipulated by her abuser, that she has been rejected by other girls her whole life and is hitting a breaking point because she finally thought she had people that understand her, and is probably reacting to this heartbreak by trying to burn all her bridges and distance herself from her friends. And the more I've had time to think about it with a clear head, the more I understand that her "mean girl" behavior is her lashing out by fulfilling the prophecy she feels Kazusa and the other girls in her past set up for her.

But I still don't think any of that is an excuse for her to intentionally hurt others. Given her age, and especially given everything she's been through, I don't expect her to the have the emotional intelligence to realize... well, basically anything that I've said about her or Kazusa. But her deciding that she is going to hurt those that have hurt her is just perpetuating the cycle of abuse. Especially since Kazusa is mostly a scapegoat - her reaction to Niina and Izumi may have been the last straw for Niina, but Kazusa did not abuse Niina or purposefully torment her for how she looks. Why doesn't Niina lash out against her abuser, or the girls that bullied her? Because they have power over her. Kazusa on the other hand is the perfect target, because she is relatively meek and won't stand up to her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7869
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Niina hadn't seen her abuser in years and decided on her own to go see him and welcomed him back in her life after the man had discarded her. At this point I think Niina's actions are fully her own and that she's simply becoming what it is that she didn't want everyone to think she was. I was hoping with her declaration at the end of the previous episode that she would have found one of the other million boys that she could have made the target of her obsession, but I guess I overestimated what Niina had valued her friendship to Kazusa and Momo to be worth.

Hongou blackmailing Milo is a big yikes and just a train wreck waiting to happen, which I guess is what Okada wants this story to end up being in the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4623
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
I’might have agreed ithat the abuse is an excuse from Niina’s past if the guy wasn’t literally telling her exactly what to do, which he’s basically been doing since he “chose” her from her acting group. Framing it as him “disposing/rejecting” her isn’t quite right. She had no choice in him picking her out or isolating from her peers, and his rejection after years of grooming was just as confounding to her as him picking her, and nothing about their “relationship” was her choice. She was used, but children don’t recognize when they are being abused, or that it’s not their fault, and they certainly don’t get over it quickly. In fact, most people who were abused as children don’t come forward for decades.

Her trying to reconcile her experience by confronting him? Normal. Him using that as an opening to manipulate her again? That’s on the adult, who explicitly said he was doing it to entertain himself,. Her still being vulnerable to it makes a lot of sense. The only support she’s had in the matter is Izumi, another kid.

If Okada wanted us to see Niina as acting of her own accord and simply making bad choices, she wouldn’t have written the director calling her, visiting her school, meeting her at a restaurant and *telling^ her that in order for her to be “interesting “ to him, she should pursue a boy sexually and disregard her friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panino Manino



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I’might have agreed ithat the abuse is an excuse from Niina’s past if the guy wasn’t literally telling her exactly what to do, which he’s basically been doing since he “chose” her from her acting group. Framing it as him “disposing/rejecting” her isn’t quite right. She had no choice in him picking her out or isolating from her peers, and his rejection after years of grooming was just as confounding to her as him picking her, and nothing about their “relationship” was her choice. She was used, but children don’t recognize when they are being abused, or that it’s not their fault, and they certainly don’t get over it quickly. In fact, most people who were abused as children don’t come forward for decades.

Her trying to reconcile her experience by confronting him? Normal. Him using that as an opening to manipulate her again? That’s on the adult, who explicitly said he was doing it to entertain himself,. Her still being vulnerable to it makes a lot of sense. The only support she’s had in the matter is Izumi, another kid.

If Okada wanted us to see Niina as acting of her own accord and simply making bad choices, she wouldn’t have written the director calling her, visiting her school, meeting her at a restaurant and *telling^ her that in order for her to be “interesting “ to him, she should pursue a boy sexually and disregard her friends.


Except that he didn't tell her "exactly" what to do, and yes, she had a choice in not doing what she choose to do with her friends, which she knows is "wrong".
You can't remove her relationship with Saegusa from the equation but you also can't excuse Niina removing her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panino Manino



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
#10
My Circulatory System isn't anymore in a state to watch these types of anime.
If Okada really has a "reputation", this is it right?
It's normal for things to get more dramatic near the end, but here things are happening what with what makes more sense for the characters, if for what would make more drama. This episode was too much. The way that everything happens at the same time in harmony is too much...

And something that I can't accept if the gyaru getting pregnant.
The character that should know better about sex is the one that ends pregnant, really?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panino Manino



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It gave us confirmation that neither she nor Milo-sensei was acting with any sort of actual desire, but instead out of anger, confusion, and self-loathing.

But doesn't Hongo says in her thoughts that along the way she developed a crush on him? After all that thinking and some physical contact that got her excited?
Isn't that a big factor in her frustration, feeling undesired by someone that she was desiring?

I feel that I disagree with Rebecca comparing him with Niina somehow.
I don't quite understand how have sex with Hongo would be the "easy thing to do". My impression is that he just isn't so preoccupied with sex, isn't the type to go for women just for sex, that's why he doesn't even get excited with Hongo practically raping him.

But I have some difficulty in understanding some logic about this anime in general. The thing with Izumi for example, him feeling bad with what Niina did to him is understandable, but feeling guilty for Kasuza? For me makes no sense, after seeing he masturbating watching porno he should know better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group