Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CrisGer A.A.



Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Posts: 131
Location: 世田谷区 Setagaya Ward
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
I was enthusiastic after seeing the character designs and the first episode. but now i am sadly let down. The last episodes have been trash with Momako really just a pale shadow of her potential, and the incest theme that seems promised by scenes from the OP just ignored for stupid and shallow Other Mothers and daughters that are parodies themselves. I fear that the director and writers for the anime just didn't want to really make this what it could have been a hot, exciting and on the edge show, we are going to get a warmed over pot of typical memes and old jokes and harem mess ups. Sad because there seemed to be hope but i fear it will just be another might have been.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
j_plex



Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I will eventually get around to this show because of the ridiculousness of the premise. But just out of curiousity ... are fathers mentioned at all in this show? You know, dads and husbands? Are they a thing? I get that the point of the video game is for mothers and sons to get closer. But ... for one example ... what is the husband-wife relationship of Wise's mom like? That would shed a huge light on things. And yes, the relationship that Mamako has with her husband - and Masako with his father - is (or should be in a show that is written halfway decent) a huge part of whether any "mom-con" stuff actually develops. If you remember the original fictional story to deal with this area - Oedipus - well yeah not a very good father-son/husband-wife dynamic going on there (understatement) at all.

In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ... they're either dead, workaholic salarymen or their very existence is not referenced or spoken of in any context (i.e. A Place Further Than The Universe). Which is ... cool I guess. Western entertainment has been like this for awhile so it figures that anime would catch up. But this is a case where it SHOULD have direct relevance to the plot. (The Freaky Friday remake handled this pretty well ... by having the father/husband dead and the badly mishandled grief over his demise being the source of the conflictr between mother and teen daughter in the first place. A recent Netflix Chinese original did the same ... dad was dead, the mother becomes a workaholic in order to avoid dealing with the grief and the daughter becomes filled with rage.) Is it that having Masato's dad and Mamako's husband be a plot point in any way - even if he isn't physically around - somehow makes centering a media franchise about ogling Mamako inconvenient? If so then that is truly cowardly and disappointing storytelling. [/code]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7869
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I was enthusiastic after seeing the character designs and the first episode. but now i am sadly let down. The last episodes have been trash with Momako really just a pale shadow of her potential, and the incest theme that seems promised by scenes from the OP just ignored for stupid and shallow Other Mothers and daughters that are parodies themselves. I fear that the director and writers for the anime just didn't want to really make this what it could have been a hot, exciting and on the edge show, we are going to get a warmed over pot of typical memes and old jokes and harem mess ups. Sad because there seemed to be hope but i fear it will just be another might have been.

Wow, quite the tonal shift from your post 12 days earlier that seemed to be singing this show's praises quite fervently. Are you keeping your preorder for the figure?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phrunicus



Joined: 23 Oct 2018
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
I will eventually get around to this show because of the ridiculousness of the premise. But just out of curiousity ... are fathers mentioned at all in this show? You know, dads and husbands? Are they a thing? I get that the point of the video game is for mothers and sons to get closer. But ... for one example ... what is the husband-wife relationship of Wise's mom like?


You said you haven't seen it yet, so I won't get too deep, but Wise's father is mentioned at least briefly (in the anime, I haven't read the source): spoiler[If memory serves, Wise's mom ran off for years, and so Wise was living with her dad until her mom came back and basically dragged her into the game.]

j_plex wrote:
In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ...


Not to knock your point, but I feel like this isn't a recent trend. Usually more 'seen' with both parents (see TV Tropes' 'Parental Abandonment' and subpages), but definitely with at least one (see TV Tropes' 'Ambiguously Absent Parent').


In other topics, I kind of agree with the reviewer on being disappointed in Mamako's vapidity/lack of personality... although I'm wondering if perhaps that's actually part of Masato's problems with his mother?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
I will eventually get around to this show because of the ridiculousness of the premise. But just out of curiousity ... are fathers mentioned at all in this show? You know, dads and husbands? Are they a thing? I get that the point of the video game is for mothers and sons to get closer. But ... for one example ... what is the husband-wife relationship of Wise's mom like? That would shed a huge light on things. And yes, the relationship that Mamako has with her husband - and Masako with his father - is (or should be in a show that is written halfway decent) a huge part of whether any "mom-con" stuff actually develops. If you remember the original fictional story to deal with this area - Oedipus - well yeah not a very good father-son/husband-wife dynamic going on there (understatement) at all.

In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ... they're either dead, workaholic salarymen or their very existence is not referenced or spoken of in any context (i.e. A Place Further Than The Universe). Which is ... cool I guess. Western entertainment has been like this for awhile so it figures that anime would catch up. But this is a case where it SHOULD have direct relevance to the plot. (The Freaky Friday remake handled this pretty well ... by having the father/husband dead and the badly mishandled grief over his demise being the source of the conflictr between mother and teen daughter in the first place. A recent Netflix Chinese original did the same ... dad was dead, the mother becomes a workaholic in order to avoid dealing with the grief and the daughter becomes filled with rage.) Is it that having Masato's dad and Mamako's husband be a plot point in any way - even if he isn't physically around - somehow makes centering a media franchise about ogling Mamako inconvenient? If so then that is truly cowardly and disappointing storytelling. [/code]


Just to lampshade Phrunicus's reply the game theyre in is referred to as a MMMMMORPG or Mom's Massively Maternal Multiplayer Make-Up-With-Offspring Role-Playing Game. No Im not joking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ... they're either dead, workaholic salarymen or their very existence is not referenced or spoken of in any context

Unpopular opinion: I would rather see a dead or absent dad/alive mom trope instead of overused dead mom/alive dad cliche in animes and mangas. Deceased mothers is one of my least favorite trope and it's kinda sexist. I hope I'm not the only one who fed up with this cliche.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
j_plex



Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
j_plex wrote:
In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ... they're either dead, workaholic salarymen or their very existence is not referenced or spoken of in any context

Unpopular opinion: I would rather see a dead or absent dad/alive mom trope instead of overused dead mom/alive dad cliche in animes and mangas. Deceased mothers is one of my least favorite trope and it's kinda sexist. I hope I'm not the only one who fed up with this cliche.


I can see your point ... BUT two caveats.

1. It isn't so much sexist as it is a historical/legacy trope because prior to modern medicine, mothers dying during childbirth was very much a thing.
2. I am not sure how overused it is. You see it occasionally, usually stories where the widower is raising a young daughter a la Sweetness and Lightning. I have seen shows where the dad is workaholic or dead far more, whether the child(ren) is male or female and whether the genre is shounen, shoujo or seinen (sadly I have not come across very many josei anime beyond Polar Bar Cafe and Chihayafuru).

Anyway, my beef with this is not in general. It was only a matter of time when "like a fish needs a bicycle" was going to traverse from the west to the east (with "A Place Further Than The Universe" being an ur-example and a few more projects co-produced by Crunchyroll's new leadership team also qualifying). Instead, it is only when avoiding the issue is bad/cowardly storytelling. Like adding the slightest bit of narrative and drama gets in the way of aiming at the lowest common denominator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redranger



Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me like whoever is reviewing this anime, just hates it and has bone to pick. It’s an ecchi anime. What the hell are you expecting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jellybeanbandit



Joined: 18 Jun 2019
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Seems to me like whoever is reviewing this anime, just hates it and has bone to pick. It’s an ecchi anime. What the hell are you expecting?


The description alone shoulda been a pretty big giveaway what kinda show this was going to be. Kreygasm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1212
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree with Mr. Jones on this Ep, review, I almost couldn't believe my senses that Medhimama's abusive pushing, which had evidently been going on long before the entry of the game BTW, was not only excused by introducing the concept that she was temporarily "under the influence" but that Masato and the bunch need to attack Medhi to make her realize how disobedient and unreasonable she is being for being angry about her mom's "caring" (ahem, abuse). I may continue because of the dearth of good-to-OK shows this season but one more Ep like this and I hope everyone walks away...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadwarior2



Joined: 31 Jul 2019
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Seems to me like whoever is reviewing this anime, just hates it and has bone to pick. It’s an ecchi anime. What the hell are you expecting?


I can definitely see how one who has read well enough into the subject matter of childhood abuse and household disfunction, like the reviewer and myself actually, could catch a stick up their ass in regards to the very clumsy way that show handles some pretty serious subject matter.
I’m forgiving as ever with this show, as I find the characters attractive and their interactions entertaining, and the comedy gets a chuckle out of me often; but even then I wince a tad when the message of the day is delivered.
However, I would point out that neither Medhi or Wise’s mothers have been completely absolved of their misdeeds as parents by their children like the reviewer seems to think they have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
Dark Medhi is savage and entertaining and Wise was right that she has ill intentions lol. More momservice but at least the villain isnt a mom this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group