• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
I will eventually get around to this show because of the ridiculousness of the premise. But just out of curiousity ... are fathers mentioned at all in this show?..
In general I am noticing a general recent trend in anime where fathers aren't much of a thing ... they're either dead, workaholic salarymen or their very existence is not referenced or spoken of in any context ... Is it that having Masato's dad and Mamako's husband be a plot point in any way - even if he isn't physically around - somehow makes centering a media franchise about ogling Mamako inconvenient? If so then that is truly cowardly and disappointing storytelling. [/code]
No, no husbands anywhere, only mommies and thier sons (stand-in for husbands I guess). Your last point I think is right on, we can't be having mommies in thongs if DAD were watching now could we? At least there is a parent, it wasn't too long ago that parents were both dead from a freak auto accident or suspiciously moved to Canada (according to Haruhi Suzumiha) or the US. The presence of any parents these days is a minor miracle so this show has points for approaching how annoying moms can be if they aren't abusing...But since Ep12 shamelessly sets up a sequel, my head would explode if they get one after all the MILF action...

P.S. My theory on Porta (Italian for "door") is that she is either an NPC or has no mother and wanted one. BTW, the show is definitely into Italian as the spells they cast translate roughly to "Shoot the Magic for Morality" and Amante is "lover".
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Porta is the Pokédex for Mamako's skills, the Mamadex if you will, and how she hid whatever happened in that tower, my guess is that she's either Shirase's daughter, actually a mom and/or Shirase's coworker.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
P.S. My theory on Porta (Italian for "door")

I thought it was for "porter", just like "Wise" is for wiseman and "Medhi" for medic.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Dude, you are really into this... "Mamadex"-LOVE IT! Laughing

Interesting takes on the names and may be what the author was going for though Medhi "looks" and sounds Indian (it's a city there) but also sounds like Mehdi which is an Arabic name. I keep "hearing" "Potty" as Porta's last name but that's because I know someone that got the nickname "Port" due to a drunken run-in with a PortaPotty...A number of comments on CR seem to mirror interest in Porta's character and you have some good theories too...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4