• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Will Happen To Kyoto Animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geepee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:21 am Reply with quote
Wonderllama wrote:
They wouldn't have gotten $2+ million dollars if it was a smaller studio. That's definitely true.

I fear KyoAni will be out of commission for at least a year, most probably two. I wonder how the surviving employees will manage. People able to work will need income. What will they do while KyoAni rebuilds? Are they willing to stay, or find employment elsewhere?

People unable to work have it worst of all. Talented artists may have lost their ability to draw. Some may not want to work in anime again. Entire families may have lost their main financial provider. I feel bad for those people the most. I hope money from donations make their way to them more than the company. The company can get back on their feet. A lot of those people can't.

a year?I think Hatta said they may take from 5 to 10 years to fully recover
relena4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Burns are among the most devastating injuries the human body can suffer.

I know a fraction of what it’s like to recover from a burn, because I suffered from Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (Steven Johnson’s Syndrome), an allergic reaction to a medication that acts like a full body chemical burn especially affecting mucous membranes. I was in a burn unit for 3 weeks, the first few days of which I was in a medically induced coma. I was lucky that I didn’t need any skin grafts. Over 10 years later, my eyes need regular specialized care, including custom made PROSE scleral contact lenses from Boston Sight (I go to Needham, MA about once a year for a week, but for the first few years, I went a few times a year for up to 3 weeks at a time), multiple surgeries, and a pharmacy worth of prescription eye drops...and that’s just keeping the one part of my body that was most affected stable.

Recovery from full body burns can take years, or become a chronic condition lasting a lifetime. People are asking why the survivors might need funds have no idea what it can be like to recover from a severe disabling injury, especially one that can require both necessary medical and less necessary cosmetic treatments. I only know a fraction of what it’s like, of what it feels like to wake up in a burn unit wrapped like a mummy, breathing from a tube, and barely able to see. And what the survivors are going through now and the road they have ahead physically is so much worse than what I went through. I hope and pray that they’ll be able to recover and have access to the best rehabilitative treatments from around the world, and that they never, ever have to worry about how to pay for any of it, even if it’s not covered by their country’s insurance (my lenses aren’t covered by my insurance, which is why I am so grateful that Boston Sight offers financial assistance to American patients. I literally can’t keep my eyes open without them).

I hope the families get all the money they need. This is heart-breaking.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I just thought of something. Would anyone really care if it was a hentai anime studio that was burned? (I for one might feel bad about it but I guess it depends if I even like the hentai they would make).

Ask yourself this: Do living breathing people work there? If the answer is yes, you just answered your own question.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Luigithemetal64 wrote:
How did the building passed the fire safety inspection? Shouldn't Japan be more techincally avanced and stricter than the US so they won't have to worry much about crimes and be prepared for it when the time comes?

Rika Hue wrote:
Considering the amount of oil / whatever flammable liquid the maniac used, there may be few buildings that could have withstood the attack.

If you spent some time surveying the building, you could figure out its structure and weak points, and its evacuation choke points. No building code on Earth can survive a researched and planned attack.
Beyond gasoline being used in the attack, it will probably be a long time (or never) before we get any information from the arson investigation.
At least we know the motive for the attack. Sad that so many innocent people were killed and injured for such a petty reason.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Let's keep it on topic please and stop with the off topic and/or poor taste discussions. Already removed some posts.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you can just replace Talent in the artistic field. That future is closed to us. We can't replace a Satoshi Kon. We can't replace the top quality staff Kyoani had. I mean you can raise up new staff to someday be as technically good...

This'll go down in the history books I think, possibly up there with "Everything but the Battleships Came" possibly.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
That future is closed to us.

So many futures have been foreclosed by this horror.* My mind simply cannot imagine the agony of the victims' close friends, close family members and day-to-day co-workers.

*And I do not understand the usage of the term "tragedy" in relation to this attack that I am seeing in a number of posts here on ANN. A very real argument can be made that what this is is a case of domestic terrorism.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
And I do not understand the usage of the term "tragedy" in relation to this attack that I am seeing in a number of posts here on ANN. A very real argument can be made that what this is is a case of domestic terrorism.

Just because it is horrible, and arguably terrorism, doesn't mean it isn't also tragic. Many things can be described in more than one way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3