• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Just Peachy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Omega Labyrinth Life is also coming to the west as well, same day as Japan and Asia versions although the western versions are digital only.

I tried the demo for Oninaki, it's definitely a lot better than Lost Sphear an the combat is excellent although quite slow. The story is not for everyone as it deals with death and reincarnation with all kiddie gloves off and it pretty much paints a dark picture from the beginning.

There's also a new 25 second Daemon x Machina trailer that shows everything that you can throw including weapons.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Senran Kagura as a series is about. (Hint: It's dangling in front of you and there are two of them.)

Legs Razz

Quote:
(Daidoji, who is far and away best Senran Kagura girl we're not going to argue about this, it is fact is among the absentees.)

Lol I'll pretend you said Yumi. Though jokes people liking Daidoji have a weird flex I mean she barely factors into any of the game compared to Rin.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember the 3DS Senran Kagura beat-em-ups being pretty amusing because the plot kept trying to turn serious and the ludicrous fan service kept getting in the way of that (kind of like the gap between the script of Season of the Witch and the performances of its leads). Everything after that, though, feels like cheap filler with no ambition to improve in terms of writing, gameplay or presentation, and muddling everything by expanding the cast to 20+ characters didn't help. After a point the lack of ambition just got boring and I stopped picking up new entries even on sale.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
@OtherSideofSky Have you checked out Senran Kagura Deep Crimson for the 3ds. It's a direct sequel to Burst and in my opinion has the most serious story out of any game in the series (with the exception of the dlc stories, which are worth it for different reasons). You are only dealing with the original 10 characters and the boss battles are really cool.

I still touched my copy of the pinball game cause I keep putting off playing the remake of burst but I am looking forward to it.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I dunno... based on that video, Pokemon Masters looks like every other gacha game. Collect the characters, make them fight to earn items, and presumably throw money at it to gamble for rares because that's how everything is monetized these days. With Sword and Shield coming out not long afterward, I don't really see the point in getting invested in yet another Pokemon mobile game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I remember the 3DS Senran Kagura beat-em-ups being pretty amusing because the plot kept trying to turn serious and the ludicrous fan service kept getting in the way of that (kind of like the gap between the script of Season of the Witch and the performances of its leads).

See here's your first problem the Senran Kagura games were specifically designed with the fanservice in mind everything else is just a way to introduce the characters,their backstories, the lore, & the reason for why the characters exist in their world.

OtherSideofSky wrote:
Everything after that, though, feels like cheap filler

Well that makes sense as Skirting Shadows/Burst, & Deep Crimson centered on the main crux of the story which is fighting demons (towards the middle/end of the game). Whereas Estival Versus, Shinobi Versus, & Peach Beach Splash while apart of the same continuity is more slice of life and lighthearted (though no less dramatic).

OtherSideofSky wrote:
with no ambition to improve in terms of writing, gameplay or presentation,

Yeah I don't think you've played many of the games if you think the gameplay hasn't improved from the 3DS games which were janky as hell presentation definitely got better with the PS3/PS4 games.

OtherSideofSky wrote:
and muddling everything by expanding the cast to 20+ characters didn't help.

Except each faction has their own storylines which occasionally intersect with one another so nothing's getting muddled even with the Gessen & Hebijo factions who only feature into the non Nintendo specific games.

OtherSideofSky wrote:
After a point the lack of ambition just got boring and I stopped picking up new entries even on sale.

Going back to my first point if you're expecting anything complex, thought provoking, or powerful with this series this is most definitely not going to be your cup of tea as none of this is what this series was designed in mind for.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
With Sword and Shield coming out not long afterward, I don't really see the point in getting invested in yet another Pokemon mobile game.

To be fair, there's a higher chance of Masters having all 809 Pokemon than Sword & Shield will.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
To be fair, there's a higher chance of Masters having all 809 Pokemon than Sword & Shield will.

(leaving aside the fact that I don't care about that in the slightest because it only affects trade-ins from other games, and large numbers of Pokemon have been left out of being catchable in any specific installment since, like, gen 3) I seriously doubt that Masters will have anywhere near all of them. Each 'mon is paired with a trainer, and there aren't nearly as many recognizable NPCs in the series as Pokemon. Most likely, it's just going to have Gen 1 plus all the popular/powerful ones from later entries. Much like Sword&Shield.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Amibite wrote:

(leaving aside the fact that I don't care about that in the slightest because it only affects trade-ins from other games, and large numbers of Pokemon have been left out of being catchable in any specific installment since, like, gen 3) I seriously doubt that Masters will have anywhere near all of them. Each 'mon is paired with a trainer, and there aren't nearly as many recognizable NPCs in the series as Pokemon. Most likely, it's just going to have Gen 1 plus all the popular/powerful ones from later entries. Much like Sword&Shield.

Yeah, even if they make, like, nine different holiday variants of Cynthia and Elesa and Sabrina each, there's no way you're gonna see all 809 Pokémon in this game. I'd eat my hat if they ever put the likes of Luvdisc, Electrike, Carrablast or Hoot-Hoot in this game.
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Yeah, even if they make, like, nine different holiday variants of Cynthia and Elesa and Sabrina each, there's no way you're gonna see all 809 Pokémon in this game. I'd eat my hat if they ever put the likes of Luvdisc, Electrike, Carrablast or Hoot-Hoot in this game.

More of a joke than anything else, but I'd never underestimate the power of variants. There's easily over 200 named trainers they can use from protagonists, rivals, gym leaders, champions, elite four, battle partners, villain team admins and bosses, professors, and others for them to use. All they'd need is an average of 4 varients each, and that's not counting the basic nameless 1-3 star pulls they can do like youngster, swimmer, or bug catcher.

I think it'd be pretty easy to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1