• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Colorist Naomi Ishida Passed Away in Studio Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Reading the articles, she drew the characters of Galaxy Express 999 so she must of loved it and she was the main color designer for Hyouka and it hit me. About mid way through the show, during the Culture Festival Arc of Hyouka, one of the main characters, Mayaka Ibara, cosplayed as one of the characters from 999 (the name of the character escapes me at the moment). I am wondering did Naomi Ishida have a say what Ibara wore during those scenes or did the original story describe her cosplaying from 999? Since there is so translation for Hyouka I am unable to to verify this hypothesis of mine but I really hope Ishida has a say in that decision.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace. Just total goosebumps all over, we've lost truly great talent.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
I honestly just feel like breaking down and crying at this point..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Reading the articles, she drew the characters of Galaxy Express 999 so she must of loved it and she was the main color designer for Hyouka and it hit me. About mid way through the show, during the Culture Festival Arc of Hyouka, one of the main characters, Mayaka Ibara, cosplayed as one of the characters from 999 (the name of the character escapes me at the moment). I am wondering did Naomi Ishida have a say what Ibara wore during those scenes or did the original story describe her cosplaying from 999? Since there is so translation for Hyouka I am unable to to verify this hypothesis of mine but I really hope Ishida has a say in that decision.

This is pure speculation on my part, but most likely. KyoAni are known to change little things in adaptation rather than stick needlessly close to the source material. I doubt it was anyone asking "Ishida-san, who should we have Mayaka cosplay as?", but it's possible she took initiative and suggested it, or they had some kind of team discussion or ran a lottery to decide. Whatever the case, it does seem a very KyoAni thing to take ideas from anyone on the team for "flavour" details like that.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
I am wondering did Naomi Ishida have a say what Ibara wore during those scenes or did the original story describe her cosplaying from 999? Since there is so translation for Hyouka I am unable to to verify this hypothesis of mine but I really hope Ishida has a say in that decision.

Here's the excerpt from the fan TL

"Like a rat trying not to alert the cat, I carefully chose the right words so that Mayaka may accept my question. She quickly looked forward and said in a detached manner,

"Frol,"

"Frol? Frolbericheri Frol? You're wearing her costume?"

"Yeah... I also brought this handbag."

I wouldn't get what she was referring to even if she said so. Well, that's what Mayaka wanted to wear after all. When she learned that her club required her to come in cosplay, being the shy person that she is, she would definitely choose a character that was hard to recognize."

There's one other cosplay of hers that doesn't get a direct mention

"Kouchi-sempai looked towards me, or rather, the heart-shaped brooch on my chest.

"Going for old-fashioned again, I see?" she said. Today I wore a cardigan over my blouse, and high socks coupled with a flared skirt. The only part that one could really call cosplay was the brooch and the beret hat I was wearing.

"Are you gonna shoot out Jintan candies from that?"

"No, this is just for show."

"If you're going to cosplay as that character, you should at least put some effort into your hair."

Don't be ridiculous. It's already quite embarrassing for me to have such a gravity-defying hairdo, not to mention my hair isn't that long."
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
And so the pain of confirmed names begins. I wasn't particularly aware of Ishida's contributions, but I'm certain I've seen her mentioned before in write-ups on KyoAni works on sites like Sakuga Blog. Seeing the list of titles she worked on, I'm heartbroken all never see her touch again. I can't imagine what her friends and coworkers in the studio are feeling, much less her family.
The next few weeks are going to stay rough for everyone.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

I'm late and @killjoy_the already corrected this.
Mayaka was not cosplaying a character from Galaxy Express, that character is from "They Were Eleven" (it's a good movie).
Search the name for images.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
... I am wondering did Naomi Ishida have a say what Ibara wore during those scenes or did the original story describe her cosplaying from 999? Since there is so translation for Hyouka I am unable to to verify this hypothesis of mine but I really hope Ishida has a say in that decision.

All 6 volumes of Hyouka so far have been fan-translated, so someone might know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2